Cross Country Hitch Mount and Trailer Ideas | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Cross Country Hitch Mount and Trailer Ideas

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by SlickVic106, Jun 3, 2016.

1. SlickVic106

SlickVic106 New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2014 Suede Titanium Cross
    Hello, I have a new XC and am going to begin a small aluminum trailer project next week. If anyone has some good ideas, and also any pics of other Vic owners with trailer setups, they would be appreciated. Also, what hitch mount options are there available and reviews to follow. Thanks in advance.

2. Old-Gramps

Old-Gramps Well-Known Member

2014 Cross Country Tour
    Quite a bit about this topic already on here, do some searching and you will find heaps of stuff, including my own input......

3. Squatch

Squatch Well-Known Member

2013 CCT Boardwalk Blue
    Bushtech trailer hitch is what I run. Pin and Hemi joint. If you are interested I have a Turbo II for sale. Will include the hitch.

4. Squatch

2013 CCT Boardwalk Blue
    Thoughts on trailering with a XC.
    Hitch is a long way from the center of the axle. at slow speeds you will feel it push you around in turns.

My trailer is a Bushtech, chosen for the air ride suspension and the pin and Heim joint hitch connection. Trailer doesn't transfer any movement into the bike as the suspension soaks up all the bumps. I have towed steel spring trailers and you will feel each bump on the bike.
    PIn hitch vs Ball, there is no movement in the pin style as it is very much like a tie rod end joint. Allows the turn but no fore aft or side to side movement.

Lighting, I have LED on my trailer and an adaptor from a gent in Illinois that built it for me. A isolator is required so the trailer lights will nto short out the bike wring. This will solve most of the electrical problems most see.

AS I said in the previous post will be willing to sell all if you like to include hitch and wiring adaptor. Bought the trailer when I had a GL 1800 the bag and trunk on the Vic are much bigger and I really do not use the trailer anymore.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. xllxSAPPERxllx

xllxSAPPERxllx Active Member

2013 Victory Cross Country
    How's the handling in a high cross wind (35+ mph)with a trailer? Can you keep a highway speed of 75 mph or its better to slow it down a bit(60 mph)?

6. vanguard7

vanguard7 Active Member

2014 Cross Country Tour
    After a lengthy trip recently, I am seriously considering a "Uni-Go" trailer. Very interesting looking setup and quite reasonable price-wise when it's all said and done. As for hitches, they do list conversion hitches for Victory Vision under their "Accessories" link and I thought I read somewhere that they are developing a hitch for the CC.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. SlickVic106

SlickVic106 New Member

I know there are plenty of forums on hitches, and thanks for the explanation on Pin vs. Ball, ya learn something new every day. Mostly, the purpose of my thread was to get trailer ideas, do's and don'ts, best features to maybe add, worst to be sure to stay away from, I will be fabricating mine in-house but like the air suspension for example- perfect, now I know I need to be looking into that and possibly a pin hitch. I won't be buying a hitch, I'll mill one out of A.C.aluminum to keep the weight down- trailer frame will also be solid aluminum bar stock. I like these kinds of projects, I can get it perfected then run a few extra thru the mill so others can also benefit, design/engineering is the time consuming part. Anyone have a good dimensional drawing for a hitch?(.cad maybe?) What seems to be an acceptable towing weight for the xc without stressing clutches, brakes etc?

8. Squatch

2013 CCT Boardwalk Blue
    Handling with a trailer, My Bushtech handles like a dream. I do not know it is back there after 25 MPH. I have run as hard as 100 PHM hitched up and no issues.

Two things I like about the Bushtech. PIn style hitch No slop between the trailer and the bike, and The trailer has narrow tires less rolling resistance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Squatch

2013 CCT Boardwalk Blue
    Research I have done lead me to:
    Full air ride suspension. absorbs the bumps much better than springs, faster response.

Frame light weight but strong. You do not need 2x4 steel. My Bushtech is small dia tube steel, independent suspension A arm lowers and air shock uppers. Longer tongue is better than a shorter tongue for ride quality and reduce hitch pin weight. Mine is about 3-3.5 feet long.

Hitch. PIn style hitch, steel frame and receiver. Trailer matching Heim joint mounted on a swivel to the tongue. this way the trailer moves independently of the bike. the swivel allow s for the bike to lean to the tip over protection ( actually the trailer is as stable upside down as right side up) Very cool design allowing for freedom of movement. recommend Steel as this is a single point failure, and could ruin your day if it fails unexpectantly.

Tongue mounted cooler, close to the trailer as possible, great for carrying cool drinks on a hot ride.

Tires, low rolling resistance, light load rating. My trailer with a full load only weights 300#.

Bodywork: light weight Aluminum or Fiber glass.

Keep the width narrower than the width of the handle bars. That way if the bike goes thru the trailer will.

Balance point 2 inch ahead for the trailer axle, and hitch point 1-2inch lower than plumb.

Safety Chain(s) DOT requirement, I personally do not like this idea as it will take you down with the trailer if it comes unhitched.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SlickVic106

SlickVic106 New Member

Lots to ponder upon. Thanks Squatch, seems you might have an hour or two in front of a trailer... Tons of useful info, exactly the stuff ima lookin fer.

11. Squatch

2013 CCT Boardwalk Blue
    Gone thru three sets of tires on my Bushtech. That is 35,000 per set. Yep you can say I have had an hour or two.

12. Squatch

2013 CCT Boardwalk Blue
    When I decided I need a trailer ( Gold Wing Days) I did some timely research and contemplated building my own as well. Folks at Bushtech do a great job with their product and it just plain works. There is a testimonial of an owner hitting a Belgium block with the trailer wheel , broke a section out of the rim, his riding buddies had to stop him as he did not feel the broken wheel.
    I personally have tried to get my trailer out of shape behind my GL1800. Drug a when in the shoulder , bounced it thru some rough road side, and generally tore thru twisty corners as speeds I shouldn't report in public. End of the day the trailer followed me every where I went. I tend to forget about it when riding as it is just so comfortable to tow.
    Yes it has seen 100 mph
    Yes I have had a flat at speed, did not know it until I stopped for gas
    Yes it has been loaded down 200#, make for longer stopping distances
    Cooler is a huge plus on long hot days
    Spare wheel/tire combo is nicely incorporated and make changing a flat tire a snap. Did mine in 10 minutes.
    Silly looking? maybe but 24 cubic feet of shopping cart is hard to beat if you are out and about for weeks on end.
    Gas mileage, slight impact, out west not so much as the east, think due to gas mix.
    Side winds? rode for 3 hours in WY light breeze 25-35mph side winds, had more issues with the bike than the trailer.

13. hilt

hilt New Member

2015 victory xcountry tour _ 2005 Hayabusa
    Hi everyone . I read in one of the threads about a bloke in bendigo that builds trailers and hitches .can anybody give me his name and number or even the business name .would be greatly appreciated