couple guys that like fishing way more than me... | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

couple guys that like fishing way more than me...

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by zingpow, Oct 7, 2021.

1. zingpow

zingpow Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2003 victory kingpin
    salt water is a two day drive for me, 3-4 if we're talking the pacific...

an old fisherman once told me, "never leave good fishing for the promise of better fishing somewhere else"...zing of the wild frontier...

ps...king salmon will bend your rod...sage 2, fenwick, loomis...zp...

• Like Like x 2
  2. MagVic CCT

MagVic CCT Well-Known Member

2000 Nomad : 2012 Victory CCT
    caught salmon and browns out of Lake Michigan.

3. zingpow

zingpow Member

2003 victory kingpin
    magvic go up one of michigan's larger rivers and fish native browns in the spring or fall...great lakes browns are hatchery plants and live a pretty sedate life swimming around eating smelt and alewives, they are shaped like footballs...river browns fight the current their entire lives and are long and lean with beautiful spots, red gills and orange meat...i've lived here all my life and have caught, filleted, skinned, fried, baked, broiled, roasted, and canned just about every species of game fish we have, lake sturgeon (8ft and 300lb record) being one exception...michigan whitefish are great eaters but perch and walleye are number one and two in any order you wish to put them...

the real deal, fishing, like riding is just get out there and do it...blue gills or salmon...250cc honda or 2300cc triumph...zing zen...

• Like Like x 4
  4. IM12STPN

IM12STPN Well-Known Member

2016 Vegas 8-Ball BLACK!! 2016 CCT...BLACK also
    @MagVic CCT ...My wife collects taxidermy...out of room on floors and walls...deer, bear rugs, antelope, fish...just about can name an animal she has. BUT, the ONLY mount we have that I actually got, a 76" TARPON, 124#. Funny when I caught, got to boat in about 20 minutes...I shouldn't have said "THAT WAS EASY"...Captain stomped on floor of boat and tarpon peeled out about 100 yards in seconds:22yikes:, then took me 45 minutes to land. NOTE: next time fight a fish for that long have someone do what he did....handed me a beer in LEFT hand, I dropped it, couldn't hold it and left arm hard as a rock!! NOTE #2...SHE has it BEHIND antique she has in foyer:banghead:

c48.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. MagVic CCT

You gotta get that thing up front.....And Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! Peeling line away at freight train speeds. My favorite kind of fishing. Fight em back in

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. IM12STPN

IM12STPN Well-Known Member

2016 Vegas 8-Ball BLACK!! 2016 CCT...BLACK also
    @MagVic CCT ...like you, not much lake fishing for me anymore...Tarpons in Florida and Sailfish/Marlins in Mexico...I'm SPOILED:icon_thumleft:
    Lake fish for me= ride bike to marina's around Great Lakes and buy from charter boats :dance:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. RazorGunner

RazorGunner Active Member

Victory Gunner
    75F77411-ECB9-43C8-9889-6251D569413C.jpeg

I don’t get down to salt water very often, but have a decent collection of freshwater swimmers…from left to right- Lake Falcon, TX 10.5lb largemouth Bass. Hit a spinnerbait 25 feet away from the boat. Caught on 12 lb line.
    Greers Ferry Lake, AR 13.5 lb walleye.
    Lake St. Clair, 5.90 lb smallmouth.
    Lake Ouachita, AR 3.5lb crappie.
    Lake Maumelle. AR 17 lb striped bass, My first taxidermy mount. 14 lb test line with a top water lure.
    It’s good therapy for those days when I think retirement can’t get here soon enough .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ForestGiant

ForestGiant Well-Known Member

2014 Victory Cross Country, 97 Honda Valkyrie, 99 Honda Magna
    I totally agree with perch and walleye being number one and love the Superior whitefish. Whenever I am at a restaurant, especially in Michigan, I always order them. Bluegill and crappie are tasty also. Some of first memories in life are fishing with my Father on the Saginaw Bay which was about a half an hour away from my home of Midland. The Bay was full of large perch back then, now it is a Walleye haven rivaling Lake Erie. In the winter my Dad would drive his Impala out on the Saginaw Bay to ice fish, which was a bit scary for myself initially. Then in about 1966 or 67 the first run of Coho started in Lake Michigan, soon to be followed by the also transplanted Chinook Salmon. I think my Father and I lowered the Lake Michigan water level a foot by the amount of salmon and some Lake Trout and Steelhead also. When my Father retired from Dow Chemical he and my Mom spent six months every year out of Portage Lake, just north of Manistee fishing Lake Michigan. Freezer was always full of mostly salmon and Mom canned it, much better than tuna, and Dad smoked a lot Salmon. Great memories.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. zingpow

zingpow Member

2003 victory kingpin
    FG…I’m in midland right now at my daughter’s house…everything you said…Michigan has great fishing and I’m a fisherman…if I lived in the middle of the desert I’d find a place to fish and catch them…it’s the fishing, not the fish…zp…

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. zingpow

zingpow Member

2003 victory kingpin
    Ps…I primarily only fish for fish I will eat…carp being an exception…when they are spawning in the late spring I’ll fish them from shore with a medium spinning rod with a light tip and 6# test or a fly rod with a Shakespeare 1810 and 6# test, a #6 mustad 9260d and some corn and have a blast…talk about taking out line, 10-30 pounders are common, record is over 60 pounds (not me)…zip…

11. Boarhunter

Boarhunter Well-Known Member

2015 Victory Highball
    These days, the only fishing I do is with a grandson or granddaughter and a cane pole and crickets…. The brim down at the pond make for great entertainment.

BOARHUNTER

• Like Like x 4
  12. MagVic CCT

Yeah, I actually progressed through the years from brim, all the way up. Did a lot of salt with my father, but his kind of fishing never yielded anything real large. But, it gave me a taste because of the sheer variety of fish we pulled up. Also, they liked to pull a net and catch shrimp (back in the days of wooden boats) and that was absolutely fascinating. Lion fish, sea horses, wierd and wonderful things I don't even remember.

I started fishing salt in earnest when I was about 30. From that point forward I fished it hard. If we took a trip to Mexico, I booked a boat. Every where we went, I booked a boat. And, my ex being from Michigan when we went there, I booked the same guy for the lake. One trip caught a nice salmon, took it to her sons house, fileted it, seasoned it and grilled it. Boat to table in about 1 1/2 hours. Beat the hell out of store salmon. Also, Walleye, YES!
    I haven't fished them, but there was a semi fancy restaurant in my Ex's hometown, and we made reservations there each time we went up. I had the same thing everytime. Hazelnut crusted Walleye. Damn good. And that's the irony, I guess. My favorite fresh water fish are the smaller ones. But they have the best flavor.

• Like Like x 3
  13. zingpow

zingpow Member

2003 victory kingpin
    Boarhunter…you da man…kids, cane poles, crickets and blue gills, what a perfect picture you paint…I always considered myself the best grandpa on the planet, perhaps I come in second…zing of the ages…

• Like Like x 2
  14. Boarhunter

Boarhunter Well-Known Member

2015 Victory Highball
    Catching fish or not, an afternoon at the pond with the little guys is the best!

BOARHUNTER

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. zingpow

zingpow Member

2003 victory kingpin
    boarhunter...you are singing my song...zp (grandpa motorcycle)...

• Like Like x 1