VOG Forum banner

couple guys that like fishing way more than me...

2K views 47 replies 11 participants last post by  Flyboy 
Ok, how is it you guys call fresh water fishing .......fishing? Sure if you get excited catching five or even ten pound bags of sugar and flour. If it doesn't have the potential to go between 35 to 300 lbs. what's the point. If you're going to bend a rod, then BEND a rod.

OK, now that I have your attention.......I will fish almost anything,,but Salt is my first love. I have waded the same area for a period of six years, twice a week, every week. Except when lightning is present. Not stupid. Caught every thing in that spot from pompano, to shark. jacks, Spanish Mackerel, flounder, reds, sheephead, puffers (mmmm fugu) Dog fish, My favorite trip of all time was tuna. Second favorite was Amberjack. Limit was three, but we kept catching and releasing till our arms were silly putty. Avg around 40 lbs. Caught a grouper that we never did see. Hauled the boat around a few hundred feet. My favorites are the ones that hit moving about 30 mph, hence the tuna and Aj's. Big Spanish Mackerel hit on the run. One sail. Never a Marlin or Tarpon. Would love to, but hasn't happened yet. I don't fish nearly as much as in the past, but will still manage a trip here and there. You know what the say.... All fishermen are liars except for you and me....and I'm not so sure about you.

Yep. Love me some Cobia. Also Dorado. I have not had to deal with shark larger than about four feet. Not sure I'd try to land a big one. Unless I was in a contest. What I love about salt. Too many fish to mention. Hell, I caught salt water gar once. Kinda pretty with rainbow looking spots on them. Bleed all over everything.

Reactions: jwfuchs1
I sat and watched a couple of young guys trying to reel in a sea gull. It was an accidental catch, the bird dive bombed their bait same time it hit the water. At first it was a little hard to figure out what was happening. These guys would pull on the rod and the bird, about twenty five yards out would dive toward the water. I think (this was at the jetties) maybe their line had gone under a rock. Any how, they finally got the bird close enough that they could try and grab it and release it. But they miscalculated the birds size and strength. They're trying to release this bird, hold the bird and dodge the birds beak all at the same time. And this bird was just giving them a beat down. I bet they don't go Gull fishing anymore. You can't buy that kind of entertainment.

You gotta get that thing up front.....And Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! Peeling line away at freight train speeds. My favorite kind of fishing. Fight em back in

Yeah, I actually progressed through the years from brim, all the way up. Did a lot of salt with my father, but his kind of fishing never yielded anything real large. But, it gave me a taste because of the sheer variety of fish we pulled up. Also, they liked to pull a net and catch shrimp (back in the days of wooden boats) and that was absolutely fascinating. Lion fish, sea horses, wierd and wonderful things I don't even remember.

I started fishing salt in earnest when I was about 30. From that point forward I fished it hard. If we took a trip to Mexico, I booked a boat. Every where we went, I booked a boat. And, my ex being from Michigan when we went there, I booked the same guy for the lake. One trip caught a nice salmon, took it to her sons house, fileted it, seasoned it and grilled it. Boat to table in about 1 1/2 hours. Beat the hell out of store salmon. Also, Walleye, YES!
I haven't fished them, but there was a semi fancy restaurant in my Ex's hometown, and we made reservations there each time we went up. I had the same thing everytime. Hazelnut crusted Walleye. Damn good. And that's the irony, I guess. My favorite fresh water fish are the smaller ones. But they have the best flavor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.