couple guys that like fishing way more than me... | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

couple guys that like fishing way more than me...

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by zingpow, Oct 7, 2021.

1. zingpow

zingpow Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2003 victory kingpin
    first let me state that the vast majority of my life was devoted to fishing, steelhead fishing in particular...every spring and autumn i was on the muskegon, betsie or manistee rivers and many stops in between chasing down those silver fighters...i had two boats, a grumman sport boat with a 5hp honda on it that i used in shallow water or smaller rivers and a crestliner 15' extra wide, extra deep with a 25hp mainly for spring when the water was deeper...35 years or more with a couple days off for bow hunting whitetail...i was a die hard fisherman, but these two "fishing rigs" are examples of guys that want to fish waaaaay more than me both used...the kayak is $3500.00 and the skeeter $66,000.00...

IMG_5521.jpg IMG_5522.PNG

please note the propulsion system of the kayak...zing of the wild frontier...

• Like Like x 5
  2. .John

.John New Member

Kingpin
    I am an avid fisherman and have spent more than $66K on my current fishing boat. It's all about perspective, and what one loves to do. I enjoy fishing immensely, so dropping a pretty penny on a boat made sense to me. My neighbor collects old John Deere farm tractors. I bet he has $100K tied up in them, but that's his thing.

As long as you can afford to do it, go nuts! My issue is when people buy the toys while sacrificing the basics like a decent home, basic transportation, and family life. That really gets under my skin.

• Like Like x 3
  3. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    I have a boat but it was nowhere near $66k, but was that a typo? $66k for that doesn't seem right. Most catch fish for you.

Mine is a 18 foot Triton bass boat. I need to take it out. It's been awhile. I love fishing but just haven't been lately.

4. zingpow

zingpow Member

2003 victory kingpin
    not a typo, $66k USED...my only point on the post is that there is a wide range of folks that fish and what they'll do, financially and physically...i'm in the middle, at the lower end of the middle actually...i've spent many days on the muskegon in the grumman catching fish when the clients of the "guides" were skunked and given many fish to them to show the wife so they could justify the trip and come back, i'm serious, guys have offered to BUY fish off me, no thanks, you can have it...zing a generous benefactor of the outdoor life...

5. zingpow

zingpow Member

2003 victory kingpin
    guy across the street from my daughter in minnesota bought a lund for $75k (plus who knows how much on gear) for musky fishing at lake minnetonka and the surrounding area and he hauls them in...it's what he wanted and he saved for it, it's huge...zp...

• Like Like x 1
  6. BrotherWind

BrotherWind Well-Known Member

Vision tour 10th anniversary. #90
    When I was gathering Sea time to get my captains license I worked on a few fishing boats. Fisherman be crazy. Whether it be commercial or head boats. Any weather, huge seas, cost doesn't matter... Bike week was great in Daytona because Bikers pawn off their woman for you to deal with, and G string goddesses they were, and tip Great. Lot's of fun and.....

7. zingpow

zingpow Member

2003 victory kingpin
    browind...you are alllll over it...two guys that want to fish, both with a different means to that end...i myself have fished many a far away stream with just waders and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich stuffed in the little pocket of my vest...bear creek that runs into the manistee river, i'm the only guy there and knocking them dead...the betsie up above the dam...i fish the south branch of the kalamazoo river with blue jeans and an old pair of converse all stars electric taped to the jeans so the leaches don't find their way up my pant legs, plenty of huge smallmouth bass and pike...zing in the mists of time...

• Like Like x 1
  8. BrotherWind

That's just great, especially the taped Converse. LMAO!

9. MagVic CCT

MagVic CCT Well-Known Member

2000 Nomad : 2012 Victory CCT
    Ok, how is it you guys call fresh water fishing .......fishing? Sure if you get excited catching five or even ten pound bags of sugar and flour. If it doesn't have the potential to go between 35 to 300 lbs. what's the point. If you're going to bend a rod, then BEND a rod.

OK, now that I have your attention.......I will fish almost anything,,but Salt is my first love. I have waded the same area for a period of six years, twice a week, every week. Except when lightning is present. Not stupid. Caught every thing in that spot from pompano, to shark. jacks, Spanish Mackerel, flounder, reds, sheephead, puffers (mmmm fugu) Dog fish, My favorite trip of all time was tuna. Second favorite was Amberjack. Limit was three, but we kept catching and releasing till our arms were silly putty. Avg around 40 lbs. Caught a grouper that we never did see. Hauled the boat around a few hundred feet. My favorites are the ones that hit moving about 30 mph, hence the tuna and Aj's. Big Spanish Mackerel hit on the run. One sail. Never a Marlin or Tarpon. Would love to, but hasn't happened yet. I don't fish nearly as much as in the past, but will still manage a trip here and there. You know what the say.... All fishermen are liars except for you and me....and I'm not so sure about you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. RazorGunner

RazorGunner Active Member

Victory Gunner
    I’ve seen used 21 ft Bass Cat Jaguar with a Mercury 350HP Verado 4 stroke for sale recently listed at $78,500.

It’s a 2016 model.:22yikes:
    My brother owns a 20 foot Bass Cat with a 250HP.
    I just hitch a ride with him or a friend these days..I’m way past having a boat like that anymore.
    I also borrow my daughter’s kayaks when the wife and I go camping.
    I’ve seen some of those $3-4k kayaks around and many times the owners even have some really sharp custom trailers built with extra storage and features. I talked to one guy this summer at the Buffalo River,his two kayaks and custom trailer rang up $7k.
    I’m just fine with my custom PVC kayak rack in the bed of my truck.:biggrin: :beer3:

• Like Like x 2
  11. BrotherWind

You gotta catch the Cobia's, 60-70 pounders. But when you catch that Hammerhead get your pistol for the head shot before boarding. They'll sink ya. Blub, blub,blub...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. MagVic CCT

Yep. Love me some Cobia. Also Dorado. I have not had to deal with shark larger than about four feet. Not sure I'd try to land a big one. Unless I was in a contest. What I love about salt. Too many fish to mention. Hell, I caught salt water gar once. Kinda pretty with rainbow looking spots on them. Bleed all over everything.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. MagVic CCT

I sat and watched a couple of young guys trying to reel in a sea gull. It was an accidental catch, the bird dive bombed their bait same time it hit the water. At first it was a little hard to figure out what was happening. These guys would pull on the rod and the bird, about twenty five yards out would dive toward the water. I think (this was at the jetties) maybe their line had gone under a rock. Any how, they finally got the bird close enough that they could try and grab it and release it. But they miscalculated the birds size and strength. They're trying to release this bird, hold the bird and dodge the birds beak all at the same time. And this bird was just giving them a beat down. I bet they don't go Gull fishing anymore. You can't buy that kind of entertainment.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Obi Steve

Obi Steve Active Member

2013 HardBall. 2014 Flames High Ball
    Seen that happen with a pelican once. They weren't brave enough to try and extract the hook from it's bill, but cut the line with about a foot still attached.

15. BrotherWind

When working on the head boats seagulls, pelicans were a regular nuisance. PITA!!! But the turtles oooh Maaan!!! You don't know what you caught and fight it for an hour or two thinking you got a huge something. Then it gets closer and surfaces where you can see it. Another pita to cleanly remove.

We would hit the shark beds when fishing was slow. F me we'd be yanking nurse sharks, 1-3 ft, for hours. 60 people and you'd get worn out fast. But I could pick those sob's off a hook in seconds. They're flapping and fighting and sometimes nail your forearms. Your arm becomes completely bloody but not painful and wipes clean. Looks awesome and chics would gasp as we'd laugh and yes tease a bit. My arm, my arm... Good times but I longer take life, except bugs on me or in home, unless they're crickets, they go free.

I sailed up North from FL and we caught tons of kingfish. We bartered them for cocktails in Wrightsville Beach. Some good eating up there, and I'm not talking fish, Mmm Mmm good.

• Like Like x 3