Cop Corner 2.0 | Page 130 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Cop Corner 2.0

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by VicVisionBulldog, Aug 31, 2020.

1. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    I'm with you. I left school to start my career and have not finished. I don't feel any of it made me a better police officer and that was back before you could get a useless gender studies or lesbian dance theory degree. People are getting such things and then wondering why they can't find a career. Um hello! Because it's useless!

What did help me in my career was the could years working at a jail before. It was a county jail that took in transfers from out of state and going out of state so we saw much more than you usual county jail. It taught me a ton about the criminal mind and survival. Got in fights, wrote reports, and kept a uniform together. All set me up better for the switch to making the arrest.

When I was hired you needed a certain number of credit hours but as time has gone by and the applicant numbers dropped now that has been dropped to a work history. Doesn't matter where it doing what.... Just have a work history.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RoguePug

RoguePug Active Member

2015 Cross Country Tour
    LOL, I remember walking by those classes with all the females in it thinking what class is that. Yep gender studies. Just shaking my head at that one. I tried getting on with a few PD's early in my DOC career but it just didn't happen. I am lucky though, I will have 22 yrs in at 65 and I am done and retired. Just need to keep my sanity before I retire lol. On a different note a four year psychology degree is a must for corrections now since we are the dumping ground for BHS individuals.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    You are more right than you think, as I was one of those agencies. I felt we over trained the line for management. Now one would say education is a good thing and I would agree. But, when you train everyone to be a chief, things get frustrating for the troops and they know everything about leadership that their leaders do. As time passes they can’t automatically move up.

All promotions required higher education and if one didn’t have it, there was a time limit to acquire it.

I always encouraged anyone that wanted the training and education as that was the pool the leaders come from. Not everyone wants it and they become the backbone of the old grays training the new guys. Teach them the basics and encourage at least a two year and keep an eye out for those with degrees from the school of hard knocks.

As for corrections, well many agencies maintaining jails like a couple years there before the officer goes on the road. Again the education of baby-sitting those criminals adds years of experience prior to dealing with them on the streets. Of the officers I supervised, the guys from the Corrections Division were some of the best...

In addition we had parity so the rank and pay for those ranks was the same as the Road Monsters. A career in corrections was a faster way up the chain.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. snobnd

snobnd Well-Known Member

victory magnum
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

6. RoguePug

RoguePug Active Member

2015 Cross Country Tour
    If you work for the sheriff's dept. that is a good way to go and I believe in Oregon you have to start in the jails prior to getting on patrol. Unfortunately there is no Patrol only a transport section. Here is the thing about the bachelor degree certification for at least ODOC. There was an incentive to get a degree. You were able to receive your intermediate an advanced certificates a year sooner that without a degree which gave you 3%and 6% bonus on your annual step raise. About two years ago they did away with that and just added a "longevity" raise at the end of the step scale when you topped out. So now my associates is worth nothing. If ODOC required a bach. degree it would not do a thing for your the average staff's career. Especially the staff that are topped out and within 10 to 15 years of retirement. I know I have 12 to go and it would do nothing for me except it would just give me another bill to pay in the form of a school loan. It would look good on younger staff's resume's but for me and a lot of senior staff it just is not worth it IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

And if you need one regardless it is just not worth it with what some jobs pay. Small town police don't make nothing. Even medium and large are not great. You certainly are not starting out with six figures and most will never see it, unless they go up the chain in a fairly large agency. Only so many spots for that though.

I don't know who would want to go to school for 4 years taking out loans to get a job that pays $30k a year..... and less in some places. I got what I needed and got out. I do need to finish though. The State of Texas will actually pay for police and fire to get a degree in their field, but only after you are in the career.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RoguePug

RoguePug Active Member

2015 Cross Country Tour
    I believe ODOC helps with the school cost as well but I am not sure. Like you I earned what I wanted and stopped there. I have to say ODOC pays damn good for corrections. I believe they are in the top 10 for pay. I have one more step raise and I will be topped out. I believe top out pay is 75k per year for an officer. With OT which is plentiful right now you can make up to 90k or more depending on your enthusiasm lol.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    If they factor in the OT for the gross salary for retirement purposes, that would be awesome. Being I was staff I didn’t get OT and often the troops made more than me and I was usually right there with them. So yeah, I am hearing ya...

I remember when I started a second career with the degree, flying choppers. It didn’t hurt but, all they wanted to know was how many hours I had in type...

Moral of the story, it ain’t the end all and do it for yourself or not. I have worked with some extremely capable people with a GED. In addition to morons with PHDs...

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. KeepRidin!

KeepRidin! Well-Known Member

2008 Victory Vegas Jackpot
    Another good porch pirate story...

• Like Like x 5
  11. RoguePug

RoguePug Active Member

2015 Cross Country Tour
    They do factor that in. They have restructured the retirement over the years, Tier 1 of course were the old guard. They got everything under the sun. Their retirement was based on their best 3 years of income.

12. satxron

satxron Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin
    The San Antonio police contract in general terms makes the officer with salary and shift adjustment at about 75k in 5 years. Full family health and dental and a 50% pension at 20 years. 1/3 of all police applicants to the larger cities and counties have 4 year degrees already. There are few 6 figure jobs out there for people with a degree at big money. Example is teachers, they make a lot less than the police. The County has a harder time getting applicants because they require time in the jail system first. It takes a special mindset to deal those people in a group where they live.

The above comments about little town cops making next to nothing is true though, but they did apply for the job hoping the experience will get them on a bigger agency or they may have a pension already like Military. The police are not hurting in this nation for salary and benefits.

13. crosscountryla

crosscountryla Well-Known Member

2014 cross country tour

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. crosscountryla

crosscountryla Well-Known Member

2014 cross country tour

• Like Like x 3