Cool feature I just discovered on the Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental | Page 3 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Cool feature I just discovered on the Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by RedVic, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Bikeless
    Merely offering my take on it. Nothing more, nothing less.

More experienced (older) riders on the big bikes?
    Were the 'basic motorcycles' crotch rockets?

2. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    Absolutely none. I just Ass-umed...

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. MagVic CCT

MagVic CCT Well-Known Member

2000 Nomad : 2012 Victory CCT
    Lest my comment is being misunderstood, my point (made in a somewhat facetious manor) is that any valve train of that configuration with a limit below 5K RPM, that is having problems is a very poorly built valve train. Don't care how much power is made, it doesn't enter the discussion.

I have nothing against the bike. And maybe there are no issues, but it was mentioned, and if there is some truth to it, then it looks like a problem to me.

4. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

Bikeless
    There is one thing you cannot escape.
    Torque X RPM / 5252 = Horsepower
    Period. Always.

Try the math... anywhere on the graph... Here's the Star Venture 'powerhouse'...

Screen-Shot-2017-07-21-at-11.49.51-AM.jpg

5. Poseidon

Poseidon Well-Known Member

2016 Victory Magnum 2013 Suzuki M109R.... 2017 Kawasaki Concours
    I think they forgot to finish that pull. The lines don’t even cross. :biggrin:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

Here we go again Half Crazy with his never ending bashing and trying to discredit things.

Half Crazy the number of people who upgrade their engines is small as most motorcycles will remain stock, even Harley Davidson most of the people will stop at stage one which is nothing more than a new air intake and filter, slip on mufflers and maybe the header, and tuner, those that go farther in for the stage two, three and four are fewer and fewer for each one.

I did the stage one routine on both my 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour and my 2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited and this stock Yamaha performs as well if not a little better than both my Victory and Harley Davidson did with stage one set ups on them and the Yamaha Star Venture is stock.

All three of these motorcycles were/are not lacking for power. How a simple thread showing some of the features available is now turning into another half crazy bash fest and your claiming the Yamaha Star Venture is a slow motorcycle with no power really gets old.

I own the Yamaha Star Venture and it runs like a scalded dog and pulls like a freight train when you get on it. It gets me some great fuel mileage as well for being a 963 pound motorcycle.

Maybe you don't understand the design goals Yamaha had with this engine, and that was torque. At the crankshaft this engine is rated at 129 lbs ft of torque, yeah yeah I know you like to use the chassis dyno graph that shows the lowest output, I remember the other thread over a year ago where you did the same thing and I posted three other chassis dyno graphs that showed more power then the one you posted, every dyno is a different and will give a different result.

I doubt you have ever even rode a Yamaha Star Venture/Eluder so you would not know how they perform. If you did it was for a short test ride and I bet you did what most people do and tried to ride it like a bike with a 7,000 RPM redline and kept in on the rev limiter then got off and complained that it has no power when the truth is it would have been your own lack of knowledge and ability to adjust to the power/RPM curve of this engine package.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

Video of the Yamaha Star Venture Sure Park reverse system.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  8. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

Video on how the engine mode button works.

9. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

Video on how to turn off traction control.

10. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

This is the only dyno graph I am going to show on the Yamaha Star Venture as I am not going to argue with half crazy about this issue again, but here is a graph showing a chassis dyno run on a 2018 Yamaha Star Venture that Motorcycle Consumer News did. The actual RPM redline is 4,750 when the rev limiter kicks in. Why they show such low fuel mileage I don't know but I am sure they were full throttle a lot and probably idled for a good amount of time as well. Most people are getting 40 plus MPG from this motorcycle that own it.

The rated torque at the crankshaft is 126 lbs ft torque, the dyno shows a 10.34% driveline loss for a chassis dyno 112.97 lbs ft torque.

My 2013 Victory with stage one set up Lloyds air filter, D&D slip on mufflers and a Dobeck AFR+ 4 tuner was 107 lbs ft torque when I had a dyno run done on it as you can see the stock Yamaha Star Venture is putting out 5.97 lbs ft torque more than the Victory did with a stage one set up.

Neither the Victory or the Yamaha lack for power.

0D72A89A-340D-4649-91A4-B3999F0A23F5.png

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  11. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    I’ll add a couple cents to the conversation. When it comes to gadgetry on a motorcycle, I generally favor the idea but hate the execution. I look at gadgetry like I look at horsepower, just because it’s there doesn’t mean you have to use it if you don’t want to. So when it comes to rider modes and leaning abs and traction control and infotainment I’m interested in the tech but not impressed with the level of sophistication of it on most motorcycles. Well infotainment mostly. It’s like Windows 95, lots of capabilities but if I have to scroll through menus after reading a thick owner’s manual to learn how to use it...pass. Let me know when I can plug in an earpiece and tell Siri to turn down the temp on my butt warmer by 3 degrees then I’m interested.

And speaking of horsepower...sorry Red but that thing doesn’t run like a scalded dog or a freight train. Maybe a scalded sloth or a Lionel train. 112 ft-lbs and 81 hp trying to move a 963 lb bike is just sad. You’d be better off running with the “ yeah it’s slow but if I wanted a Hyabusa I would have bought a Hyabusa...” line. Trying to convince us that one of the slowest bikes in its class is actually fast is never going to work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    RedVic,

Thank you for your postings and the videos. I’ve learned 10 times more about the bike from you than I’ve ever gotten from a dealer. I was very interested in the bike when it was coming out. I heard a few rumblings about a valve train issue after its release but I never looked into the situation. Though it seems from the few Yamaha dealers I’ve visited, they have a diminished interest in the bikes now. They seem to be getting heavily discounted and, much like many Victory dealers in years past, the bikes are pushed towards a back corner of the showroom. I believe the bikes are much better than either Yamaha or the few dealers I’ve been to have presented them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Oh, and the horsepower and torque numbers? Yea, dynos don’t tell the whole story. For instance, the hp and tq numbers on my CCT are much higher than a Moto Guzzi 1400. The Guzzi and a CC are are similar in size and weight, But the ‘small’ Guzzi gets down the road far above what the dyno graph on one would make you think. They seem to punch well above their weight class.

• Like Like x 2
  14. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

Chattanooga_Mark,

Most multi brand import dealers are lacking, go to our local Harley dealer in either Ft. Myers or Port Charlotte and they have a lot of motorcycles on display.

The Indian dealer they opened up in Ft. Myers that also sells Triumph they have a lot of Indians and Triumphs on display.

Our old Victory dealer was lucky to have one of each model bike on a good month.

The three multi brand import dealers don't have near the selection on display that Harley and Indian does. The dealer I bought from in Punta Gorda sells Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki but inventory is lacking. The dealer in Ft. Myers sells Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Can Am but again their inventory is lacking, the third dealer in Naples sells Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Can Am but once again lacking in inventory.

Our local BMW dealer used to sell BMW, Ducati and Triumph, they dropped Triumph and the new Indian dealer picked them up. But even when the BMW dealer sold Triumph they were lacking inventory with little product for all three brands on hand, it has not improved now that they dropped down to just BMW and Ducati, there showroom does not have many bikes in it.

I have seen some multi brand dealers on the internet that have huge selections of inventory of each brand. One is out in the state of Washington.

Your comments on power is a valid point, it makes a huge difference on how that power was designed to come on which makes all the difference in the world. In Yamahas case they concentrated on torque, what gets any vehicle moving? Torque.

iabob,

You could not be more wrong on this Yamaha and how it puts its power down. When did 4.75 seconds 0-60 become slow by the way. I wonder if the site testing the Yamaha knew how to turn off the traction control and if they even had it in sport mode when they ran there tests on the Yamaha, but still a 4.75 seconds 0-60 time and a 13.8 second 1/4 mile time is hardly slow and that was on a new motorcycle too boot.

Yeah I get it you and half crazy spent thousands of dollars putting in big bore kits in your Victory's but you and half crazy are far from the normal as most people don't go out and purchase big bore kits, all the Harleys on the road around me are either stock or at most stage one and that is it.

I owned a 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour, a 2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited twin cam twin cool, and now I own this Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental and have ridden each bike several thousand miles as their owner and this Yamaha is not lacking to either the Victory or the Harley in power.

• Like Like x 1
  15. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    I agree that your stock Yamaha is not “lacking” in power in stock form compared to a 10-20 year old design from Polaris or Harley. What I’m saying is it’s not fast. It’s not a scalded dog or a freight train. It is slow. 963 lbs is 100-200lbs heavier than the competition, some of which is producing much more power in a much lighter frame.

Just for the record I don’t have a big bore, I’m making my power out of 100 cubic inches. And in a bike that’s 300 lbs lighter than yours, my bike is fun, not fast. It’s not that I don’t get where you’re coming from. When I demo’d Victory touring bikes in stock form, they did suck. But after putting some decent miles, 2-up, on a Vision I came to the conclusion that a touring bike doesn’t really need impressive power. 80 hp did suck, but 130 was overkill. I get that 110-120 ft-lbs of torque is sufficient for a touring bike, power that low would not stop me from buying one. I just wouldn’t call it fast.

I accept that MAYBE I’m far from normal. But here’s the thing, in my circles, and at places like a race track, I’m very normal. Sure there are lots of stock or S1 Harley riders. But there are literally thousands of riders of multiple brands, including Victory, that have gone far beyond that. This is just about conversation. For the sake of entering this conversation, gadgetry is not automatically a bad thing, and can be a very good thing. And a near 1000 lb bike that only has 80 hp is heavy and slow. It may very well still be a desirable and purchase worthy bike, but it is not light or fast.

• Agree Agree x 1