Cool feature I just discovered on the Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Cool feature I just discovered on the Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by RedVic, Oct 18, 2019.

1. MagVic CCT

MagVic CCT Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2000 Nomad : 2012 Victory CCT
    Yes, I'm a quarter bubble off center, but I have to ask........How much, and what kind of research did you perform on backsides? :aktion086: :biggrin:

2. MagVic CCT

Damn things don't rev high enough to have valve train issues, do they?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Poseidon

Poseidon Well-Known Member

2016 Victory Magnum 2013 Suzuki M109R.... 2017 Kawasaki Concours
    In most cases, it’s not about where your hand is, it about where your eyes and mind are. Messing or watching a screen takes you eyes and focus off the road. My concourse has a dial for heated grips. It is located right below the left grip. I can reach down and give it a twist without taking my eyes off the road. If it is too warm or not warm enough, I just give it a quick twist in the appropriate direction.

4799B3D8-E85F-4774-A4E6-B292CDF1A018.jpeg

What happens if you want to add an aftermarket seat or grips? Is it even possible with the stock ones communicating thru the head unit and most likely some sort of canbus system? What happens if the stock grips or seat stop working? Now you are trouble shooting computers vs a simple switch or dial. When some part of the system fails, do you get a trouble code to tell you what the issue is? That’s all we need, error codes for heated seats and grips! Not to mention the cost. Again, like I said before, it is making a simple cheap system more complex, just for the sake of making it more complex. There is absolutely no advantage to it other than increasing the cost of the parts and the bike they put it on.

I am “old school” to a point, but most likely not as much as Larry. I like having music and Nav, but I don’t focus my attention on them while I’m riding. I like knowing what is ahead like side streets that are around the next curve, how sharp the next curve is, etc. but all that can be determined with a quick half second glance, then eyes back on the road. I keep my Garmin mounted right at the top of the fairing / just below the windscreen so I can still see the road while glancing at the Nav screen. I don’t need controls that require me to focus on a screen while trying to adjust.

I don’t want all the same gadgets / luxuries / conveniences / distractions or whatever you want to call them, that cars have on my bike. Accidents in cars are far less life threatening than they are on a bike. In my opinion, most of the gadgetry in cars should be removed also. It would make riding far safer! Manufacturers are now putting the same devices that distract the drivers we are trying to avoid on the bikes we are riding while trying to avoid them. How ironic!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Poseidon

Just another thought, if connecting heated grips and seat to the head unit is such a great thing, why is that not a feature that Yamaha is advertising? Because they would rather you find it after you already own the bike, would be my guess. Isn’t that what happened?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. MagVic CCT

Do let us know when you discover that ejector seat.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. MagVic CCT

But, check this out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

I see the nay sayers are jumping in, well I only have one answer for you, most major manufactures like Harley Davidson, BMW, Indian, Yamaha, and Honda build motorcycles with nice infotainment systems in them.

As I already posted these motorcycles with the infotainment systems are not suddenly being involved in fatal crashes, just the opposite in that more fatal motorcycle crashes happen with standard motorcycles with none of the bells and whistles than these top of the line motorcycles have with their infotainment systems.

The items that you would use are quick easy menus to get to and make a quick adjustment, i.e. turning on the seat/grip heaters, adjusting the windshield all can be done in a matter of 2 or 3 seconds. Believe it or not people are capable of multitasking such items in a safe manner.

I spent a total of 13 years in Traffic homicide working the Florida Keys, Miami, Ft. Myers and Naples in those 13 years I was involved with over 1,300 fatal traffic crashes in all, of the fatal traffic crashes I don't recall one fatal crash involving a touring motorcycle, but there were many involving the types of motorcycles you guys are advocating with none of the bells and whistles.

Have there been fatal crashes involving touring motorcycles? Sure, but I never encountered any in the four areas I worked in. I was a traffic homicide investigator for 2 1/2 years and a traffic homicide investigator supervisor for 10 1/2 years and yes as a supervisor I was at the scene of fatal crashes, called out in the middle of the night as well. I assisted my investigators with scenes and inspecting/documenting the vehicles at the wrecker yards.

The riders of these big touring motorcycles are just not involved in nearly as many traffic crashes or fatal traffic crashes as are the riders of the motorcycles without any of the bells and whistles are that you guys are promoting as being safer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

They do promote it.

Yamaha Star Venture - Rider & Passenger Comfort

Here is a list of features promoted by Yamaha.

2020 Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental Touring Motorcycle - Photo Gallery, Video, Specs, Features, Offers, Inventory and more

My old Victory Cross Country Tour I did away with both the heated seat and grips for aftermarket seat, backrest and grips all of them not available heated.

It is rare to find a direct replacement aftermarket product that will just be plug and play even on a bike like the Victory's that were you basic rocker switches you are advocating.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  9. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

You don't have to rev an engine to the moon and back to make power, look at Le Mans for several years the top prototype division was dominated by lower revving Diesel engines.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Poseidon

By the time most people can afford the big top of the line touring bikes, they normally have several years riding experience. False logic to think infotainment systems safer or that simple controls are more dangerous based on your traffic investigation experience. Put 100 new riders age 18-25 on big touring bikes with infotainment systems and 100 new riders the same age on bikes with simple controls and I think you would see the exact opposite of what your experience has been.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Poseidon

You can get heated aftermarket seats and grips, and while they may not be plug and play, it is as simple as connecting 2 wires to the stock controls on your XCT. If they are run thru a canbus system and controlled thru an infotainment system, it is far from being that simple.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. ghost_rider

ghost_rider Active Member

cross country tour
    It's no worse than a car infotainment system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Poseidon

...Minus the cage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Poseidon

I’ll add that while I don’t know for sure, it may not be as easy as it was on your XCT to eliminate the heated seats and grips for aftermarket ones even if you are willing to loose the heated feature due to the way they are integrated. I would recommend doing some research before shelling out $1000 +/- for an aftermarket seat.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    My own take on the infotainment feature is that I have mostly enjoyed the little bit of time that I spent with it. The Viz has some things like the stereo, heated grips/seats, cruise, trip meters, driving light and so on. I find that very easy to manage so that it is not a distraction to me. But then, I have memorized where everything is! Same with the Triumph. Some have said that the controls on the Trophy are hard to use but I don't find that to be true at all.

I've also spent some time with a few Chieftains that had the Ride Command feature and I found it to be very nice. I didn't think I was going to like it, but I did. It's actually very easy to use. My complaint with the dash in general is that it's right in your face! From what I can gather watching video, the system on the Venture seems pretty intuitive to use as well. I think I heard something about a few glitches with the software or something, but that could have been with the first few off the line.

Everybody is different. I happen to enjoy a bike with a deeper feature set. As long as the tools are useful I'm quite OK having with them there.

• Like Like x 2