Cool feature I just discovered on the Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Cool feature I just discovered on the Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by RedVic, Oct 18, 2019.

1. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

I was doing a video on some of the features of the Star Venture Transcontinental and while I was showing how to fine tune the heated grips heat level for low medium and high I discovered that you can also fine tune the heat level for both the passenger and rider seat and backrest.

The passenger has their own manual switch with low and high for heat settings but in the sub menu you can adjust how much heat low and high put out. The driver adjusts the seat heating through the infotainment system and you can adjust the heat levels for low medium and high.

The grips also have this same feature to fine tune the heat output for low medium and high as well.

I knew the grips have that feature but I just discovered today that the seat/backrest also have the same ability to adjust them.

I keep finding new things as I play with the infotainment settings. Being in Southwest Florida there is not a big demand for heated grips and seats so it was a nice surprise to find that ability for fine tuning the heat output for the seats like you can do with the grips.

Here is the video showing how it works.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    '14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    Nice! It's good to have that kind of adjustability. Everyone's backside is different!

3. Blowndodge

Blowndodge Well-Known Member

2013 Victory XCT
    I watch all your videos RV

4. lou8700

lou8700 Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads, 2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
    There's a dealer not far from me selling 2018 Eluders for $15,900. It's tempting. I liked them on a test ride but a little worried about valve issues I've heard about. Any info @RedVic ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

I know of only three bikes all Star Venture's that had a cam lobe issue and they were all three covered under warranty by Yamaha.

As for the valves, I have not heard of anyone who has had a valve issue, in fact I have not heard of anyone who has had the valves to be found out of adjustment. I checked mine at 15,300 miles and they were fine, many people who have Roadliners and stratoliners with the same basic engine have been known to go 50,000 miles before checking the valves for the first time and found them to still be in spec.

LongHualPaul a guy who is riding one million miles for MS was given a Star Venture Transcontinental by Yamaha and he now has 71,000 miles on it without any break downs, he even admits that he is not always on top of the maintenance schedule either as he will go beyond the mileage for maintenance.

You can see some of LongHualPaul's videos on YouTube.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
  7. Poseidon

Poseidon Well-Known Member

2016 Victory Magnum 2013 Suzuki M109R.... 2017 Kawasaki Concours
    Wait... the grips and seats are controlled thru the infotainment system?!?!

I have yet to understand the need to make something simple, more complex, just for the sake of doing it. A simple rocker switch or dial is more than sufficient. Cheaper and easier to trouble shoot or replace if need be too.

What happens if someone wants to upgrade their stereo to an aftermarket unit?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

The grip and seat heaters are very simple to operate and very fast. Here is a short video operating them showing just how fast and easy it is.

As for changing the radio none of the new infotainment systems will allow you to change the radio be it this Yamaha, Honda, Harley, Indian, BMW you name it. I don't see why anyone would want to, they are full featured and they all include functions of the motorcycle. You can add an external amp if you want as the menu system allows you to activate it in the Yamaha infotainment system.

• Like Like x 2
  9. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

Just to expand on the Yamaha infotainment system, it is very easy to learn and super intuitive so you're not left guessing and searching, just spend a few minutes with it and you find that things flow in a very organized manner that uses plain old common sense.

This system is either touch screen or you can use the buttons on the left control stalk, I find the buttons on the control stalk to be a better choice for me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

I did a video that shows the menu system, it is really even easier to use than it looks in the video, it is quick to navigate and it is pretty much common sense in its layout.

11. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

Here is a short video on the two methods of raising and lowering the windshield you can use either the two fuel tank buttons or you can use the left control stalk, the video explains the difference between the two methods of operating the windshield.

You can also use the touch screen so I guess that really makes three ways to adjust the windshield.

12. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

Bikeless
    Two words:

First word, MOTORCYCLE.
    If I wanted all the latest gadgetry and all the comforts of a car, but have it all out in the weather with me, I'd saw the roof off a Volvo station wagon.

Second word, DISTRACTIONS.
    Lots of things to look at, mess with, and think about when you should be planning ahead and paying attention to riding the motorcycle. When someone affixes their phone to the bars I'm thinking, "Don't do that. When your distracted, non-attention-paying ass kills yourself I'll be the one who has to tell your wife her husband won't be coming home.".

Here, let me take a couple of degrees off the seat temperature... oh, never mind, let me pull myself out of the trunk of this Buick...

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

Yet crashes have not been a problem on motorcycles with these nice infotainment systems.

That is what is so great about choice, you don't want options then go buy a basic motorcycle, if you want options then buy a bagger or touring motorcycle with a nice infotainment system.

The fine tuning of the temps is something you would have done while at home, that is why you have multiple levels high, medium and low.

Is your simple rocker switch seat really any more safe in your words because you have to reach down with one hand and fumble for the switch, at least with the infotainment style you keep both hands on the handle bars and use your left thumb to do what you want to do. The same thing with grip heaters controlled by a rocker switch on the dash, you have to remove one hand and reach to the dash to turn them on, with the infotainment system again you keep both hands on the handle bars and use your left thumb.

I really don't see the issue unless you are just trying to look for an issue where one does not really exist.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. RedVic

RedVic Well-Known Member

Addressing your distractions issue, when I was supervising the traffic homicide squad in Ft. Myers and later in Miami it was not the big touring bikes with all their bells and whistles that were getting into fatal crashes it was the guys without any of the bells and whistles that were getting involved in fatal crashes, the basic motorcycle you are pushing.

15. Known1

Known1 Well-Known Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    @Half_Crazy speaks the truth when it comes to distractions and hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. I've seen it first hand when a guy I have ridden with more than once mounted a phone on his bars and turned on NAV. At first we needed the NAV, but once we made it to the main artery it was no longer needed.

After a few hours on the road I notice he's not paying attention to road signs and looking at his phone every time a curve is coming up. Next thing I know he is following too close to know/remember that there is a car in front of the SUV he's behind. Again I could see him constantly glancing at the NAV on his phone. Eventually when the unknown/unseen car two up decided to take a last minute left turn and hammered the brakes this guy nearly wrecked. He improperly emergency braked at 60mph, skidded for a second when he locked up the rear on his Kingpin, and missed clipping the SUV by inches as he passed on the shoulder of the road.

About 5 miles up the road we made it to a stop sign and he dropped this on me "I had no idea there was another car in front of that SUV back there". I was extremely happy that he was still on his bike while his overnight pack was still somehow hanging off the side of his back seat. I didn't say what I was thinking at the time. Which was yeah, no sh!t...why don't you put that stupid phone back in your jacket? Instead I said, "yeah nice recovery back there...that was way too close".

• Like Like x 1