Converting Key to FOB | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Converting Key to FOB

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by LouisArena, Oct 15, 2021.

1. LouisArena

LouisArena Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2006 Victory Hammer; 2008 Honda St
    Is it possible, or does someone make, a kit to convert the key start to a FOB?

2. Gossamer

Gossamer Well-Known Member

Victory Cross Country Tour
  3. LouisArena

LouisArena Member

This product is for 2010+ Victory cross bikes

4. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    @LouisArena i think @Gossamer was just trying to point you to a company that has FOBs for bikes. DGD is one of the most popular.

they show a menu item for pre-2010 Vics, but takes you to a 2010+ page. You could call them and ask specifically for your bike. There’s also a note on that section that says all other bikes can use the universal fit version. Guessing that would be more splicing and soldering as opposed to plug-n-play.

Motorcycle Keyless Ignition

5. LouisArena

LouisArena Member

Yea I did not mean to dismiss his recommendation, I was just pointing out it was for later dates. But really I was hoping also for a bigger discussion. I thought more people would tell me not to do it and give reasons why. I just feel weird having the key hang on the side of the bike, and also you really cannot have any other keys on the ring or they will just smack around while riding. I really want to know some pros and cons. Based on the image that was shown in the link, fitting it on the bike might also be a problem, the hammer has no space to hide anything.

6. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    Do a forum search (or advanced Google search on thevog.net) to get threads about it. Has been discussed at length here.

I recall off hand there were some pros and cons that folks talked about (just going off of memory from what I read, I do not have a FOB and no personal experience.

pros
    - no key needed
    - ability to get alerts on your fob if the bike is moved while you are away from it
    - no banging of key/keychain against your bike causing scratches/rub marks

cons
    - saddlebags, trunk & gas cap locks still require a key
    - distance for bike to arm/start from you (eg if you are nearby, someone might be able to jump on your bike and ride away)
    - possible issues with software/firmware when fob battery dies or bike battery dies that does not allow you to bypass the system (this may be resolved already with newer versions/updates)
    - cost

I think @VicVisionBulldog has one and some experience

7. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    I have both the kill switch style fob and the keyless system from GuardDawg.

Having both I prefer the keyless system. It really is convenient, but you still need your key to lock the bags and fill up. Not as cool as the latest bikes with the auto locking bags and such.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Scorpio made the Victory keyless ignition system I have on my CTT. It was an accessory a few years ago. I have no idea how popular it was or how well they sold. I’m not near my 2017 Accessories book to post the item number of it at this time. It was an easy plug & play installation.

I love the system and wouldn’t want to part with it. It’s awesome being able to have the bike warming up on the sidestand and still be able to get into the saddlebags and/or the trunk. The Victory/Scorpio system also includes an alarm.

I’d ‘guess’ the same system I have would work on the Vision. Or just about any Vic for that matter. The push button module simply replaces the key assembly on the left side. Then tap into a 12VDC power source and it’s essentially done. I’ve carried the key assembly in a saddlebag for years, just in case I needed to swap it back in.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  9. Gossamer

Gossamer Well-Known Member

Victory Cross Country Tour
    I purchased the guard dawg system for my bike. Never installed it, don't have the bikes anymore still have the key system.

My HD has a key fob which is a nice system, but as most state still need key to lock bags or with Victory gas tank unless you went aftermarket.

10. Pauljp

Pauljp Well-Known Member

2014 Cross County Tour
    In 2014 I purchased the Digital Guard Dawg keyless system even before taking possession of my bike. I knew I wanted it that much.
    I installed it on my bike and it lasted 3 months when one day I was all set to ride with my brother and it would not activate. I was pissed off.
    I contacted DGD and they sent me a new package. I removed the old one and installed the new one (remember this was before the plug-and-play newer ones they have out now. Soldering and unsoldering/heat shrink the entire time) only to find out one of the fob's didn't work.
    Contacted the company again and they sent me a fob programmer. It wouldn't reprogram. I could still ride but with only one fob.
    Contacted the company a third time, they sent me a new package again. Uninstalled the old and installed the new again.
    This time everything worked well... for about 2 months when it left me stranded again.
    I removed the system and put the key back on and haven't had a problem for 6 years.
    It's too bad, I really wanted this system to work, but I guess it was not meant to be for me.
    I wish you good luck with whatever choices you try. I'm sure today there are better & more reliable ones out there.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. BrotherWind

BrotherWind Well-Known Member

Vision tour 10th anniversary. #90
    I really wanted the fob but I've been stuck enough with other vehicles to just say I won't invite anymore problems and went with this, because it's dependable, inexpensive and easy, doesn't damage. $2.00 at Walmart. Good luck...
    IMG_20211015_160243227.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    DGD on my bike until it stopped working leaving my bike able to start and ride away with no fob in sight. Removed it and never went back. I can trust a key more than no security at all.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pauljp

Pauljp Well-Known Member

2014 Cross County Tour
    Exact same thing that happened to me. I forgot to mention that in my previous post.
    The company didn't believe me when I told them, so I made a video of it happening.
    I think after they sent me 3 kits they just gave up on me and I never heard from them again.

14. T0ng5

T0ng5 Active Member

2012 Crossroads, Mrs. rides a 2006 Vegas premium
    I love my digital guard dawg, I have a crossroads so no locking saddle bags. I just keep my fob and gas tank key in my jacket pocket.

15. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    I've had my first system as long as I've had my Vision buying it new in 2013. The second I got when I got my 08 a few years ago. I moved the keyed fob from the 13 to the 08 and added the new keyless system to the 13. I've changed the battery a few times in the old system but that's it.

• Like Like x 1