VOG Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gents, "should I buy" threads probably get old to you guys, so I apologize. I've done as much research as I can via reviews, videos, forum scrolling, etc and is why I'm pretty sure she's the one.

I've been riding my whole life, mostly dirt, but have a few asphalt years under my belt. Certainly no pro. All previous street motorcycles have been sport bikes, the most recent Yamaha FZ-09. Decided the wife isn't going to pursue learning to ride on her own, so I started thinking about a sporty cruiser. First bike that came to mind - Ducati Diavel. Decided I would put some miles on my father's '13 Jackpot to get a feel for a fatty rear and cruiser in general. Thing is a beast compared to my previous bikes, but I'm starting to dig it. Started looking at more options and came across the short-lived Octane model. Sounds perfect on paper and looks great in videos. Basically, I'm wanting a lightweight (considering) bike that has similar "fun factors" I'm used to with the sport bike. Still considering the Diavel, but I think the Octane has move above it on my list, especially considering current dealer blowout pricing on leftovers.

Figured you guys would know more than I do!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I love mine for sure, I think you will be happy with it. One thing I would suggest if you do it is to pick up the upgraded rear shocks since it sounds like you plan to have a passenger. Test ride the bike and you may just fall in love.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Looks like the upgraded shocks can be found reasonably, at least for the time-being. I found a used one with 1,200mi that I may try to strike a deal on. First step is visiting the dealer and getting a feel for the bike. I know it has a low center of gravity and seat height, any taller owners here? I'm 6'2.

I also like the new Scout Bobber (a lot), but think the Octane is the way to go for half the price, especially since modifications are half the fun for me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am 6'3, first thing I did was extended controls and seat. It's still a small bike but one twist of the throttle makes you forget all about it. You will probably get the itch for an exhaust pretty quick like the rest of us, the bike is super quiet. I have had a lot of fun modding the bike for sure.

·
Super Moderator
26,093 Posts
Thanks for the response. Looks like the upgraded shocks can be found reasonably, at least for the time-being. I found a used one with 1,200mi that I may try to strike a deal on. First step is visiting the dealer and getting a feel for the bike. I know it has a low center of gravity and seat height, any taller owners here? I'm 6'2.

I also like the new Scout Bobber (a lot), but think the Octane is the way to go for half the price, especially since modifications are half the fun for me.
I'm 5-11 flat footed and it felt small. I would second the above and say extended controls and seat will be a must.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I loved the Octane so much that I usually ride them at least 3 times during demo days at bike week. I am getting one when I pay off my Kingpin as a run around bike. I like the Octane over the Scout. The Octane looks fast just sitting there!!

First thing I would upgrade are the controls to fit me and then go crazy with the mods!! As you can see in my sig and the profile picture, I do go crazy with the mods!!

By the way I am 5'9" and the foot controls is slightly cramped but extended kit would solve it and the handlebars are too low for my liking but easy fix.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have owned everything under the sun motorcycle wise. This bike is a nice mix of sport and comfort. Makes me smile a lot when I ride it, and it is different. I love the looks for sure. Plus, every time I beck it into my garage I think of how delightful it is due to the weight. My Yamaha 1900 and Electra Glide were ridiculous.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, great input guys! It's great to see many of you can't leave anything stock either.

Took the Jackpot for a spin tonight. It's nice, but I just prefer a smaller, lighter bike. Maybe because I'm 6'2 @ 172lbs, or because I'm used to sport bikes. I think the Octane is a great move to the "cruiser" side for me. This weekend will be exciting for sure. I'll post up if I'm lucky enough to bring one home!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone happen to know if the Scout passenger pegs fit the Octane? I know the Octane pegs fit the Scout, but judging by photos, it looks like the Octane peg mounts have more material missing for clearance. I cannot find an Octane passenger kit anywhere, and is why I ask.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey Gents, "should I buy" threads probably get old to you guys, so I apologize. I've done as much research as I can via reviews, videos, forum scrolling, etc and is why I'm pretty sure she's the one.

I've been riding my whole life, mostly dirt, but have a few asphalt years under my belt. Certainly no pro. All previous street motorcycles have been sport bikes, the most recent Yamaha FZ-09. Decided the wife isn't going to pursue learning to ride on her own, so I started thinking about a sporty cruiser. First bike that came to mind - Ducati Diavel. Decided I would put some miles on my father's '13 Jackpot to get a feel for a fatty rear and cruiser in general. Thing is a beast compared to my previous bikes, but I'm starting to dig it. Started looking at more options and came across the short-lived Octane model. Sounds perfect on paper and looks great in videos. Basically, I'm wanting a lightweight (considering) bike that has similar "fun factors" I'm used to with the sport bike. Still considering the Diavel, but I think the Octane has move above it on my list, especially considering current dealer blowout pricing on leftovers.

Figured you guys would know more than I do!
One of the best handling bike's i've owned. Have 5,400 mls on mine and really look forward to every time I ride it. You won't regret your investment. I'm 56 yrs. Old and 5' 6" 155 lbs. And the bike is perfect! Traded in my HD Street Glide. It was getting to heavy. I've also put many accessories on my Octane. Thinking about the belt and pulley guards on Victoryonly.com for my next upgrade.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It was only after I purchased my Octane that my wife expressed an interest in riding with me. Purchased the Victory Octane passenger seat and pegs and she hopped on. She hated that little passenger seat. Said it felt like she had a milkdud stuck in her butt.

That's how I ended up with the Vision. If you wife is going to ride, I don't think this is the bike for you. I would add my wife is almost 68 years old so a younger woman would likely be more willing to ride. If you get the Octane a new seat would certainly be in order.

I would look around for a deal on a used Octane. I have dropped my asking price to $7,500.00 and have had almost no serious inquiries.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does anyone happen to know if the Scout passenger pegs fit the Octane? I know the Octane pegs fit the Scout, but judging by photos, it looks like the Octane peg mounts have more material missing for clearance. I cannot find an Octane passenger kit anywhere, and is why I ask.
I can confirm the scout pegs do not fit. Also, hello fellow NSB person!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks guys for all the posts. I'm 6'2 @ 170 and wife is 5'1 @ 105, so we won't be hurting the bike any. She rode two up on all previous bikes, including the FZ 09, so I think she'll be okay on the back of an Octane with a Gunfighter seat for normal relatively short rides.

Had a deal worked out for a cash private sale but the seller went silent on me. Still searching...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally picked one up for a good price and installed some of the parts I had waiting in the garage; gunfighter seat, passenger pegs and performance shocks.

Will be chopping/reshaping the rear fender, adding bar risers, full 2-1 exhaust, performance filter and PVCX next.

Thanks for all the input guys!
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! That's funny you had bought a few things before getting the bike. I've got a few boxes of stuff in the garage for bikes I was sure I was going to get but ended up not. Maybe someday. Have fun on your new ride, it's a beauty!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Finally picked one up for a good price and installed some of the parts I had waiting in the garage; gunfighter seat, passenger pegs and performance shocks.

Will be chopping/reshaping the rear fender, adding bar risers, full 2-1 exhaust, performance filter and PVCX next.

Thanks for all the input guys!
View attachment 437761
I have the same color Octane. 5500 miles on it. A lot of fun to ride! My personal preference. I wouldn't chop the rear fender. Are you planning to do a lot of wheelies?

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
There is a two guys garage episode that recently aired premiering a 2017 octane in a new Mustang GT 50 the end result after a little tweaking on both vehicles was a few ribs at the local dragstrip leaving the octane the clear winner every time. I found that to be pretty darn impressive

·
Registered
417 Posts
Nice , I like the octane , Reminds me of my previous bike , harley v rod . The harley guys were a bit stuck up and didn't consider the v rod a true harley , their loss as it was great fun to ride . Thats why I like these guys on here , dont matter what you have they welcome you with open arms . Enjoy your bike buddy .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like the "bobber" look and want to make my bike unique, so chopping the fender is still on the agenda, but has moved down the list because the bike really does look better in person.

Going for another ride today, but the little seat time I've had so far had me grinning from ear to ear when I twist my right wrist. Sport bike who?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.