VOG Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

The bad thing is my first bike was a 06 600 Katana (crotch rocket), I keep finding my self compairing these V-twins to that bike. I am still waiting to be impressed, on power and speed.

I currently own a 08 Yamaha 1100 V-star. While it is a great bike, absolutely no hick-ups. It is way slower than I think it should be. It pretty much has given up the ghost at 85 Mph. That and that overly annoying vibration at that speed has prompted me to move up the power range.

What is the average top cruising speed of this bike?
How is the vibration at hi-way speeds?
How many of you drag a peg when corning with you Vegas because of its low stance?
Is there any outstanding issues that a soon to be Victory owner needs to keep his eyes open for?
If you were to go bike shopping again would you buy the Vegas again? If not why and what would you have chosen?

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Haven't really pushed the limits with my Vegas, but the only negative thing I have to say about it is, with the wider tire on the rear and the smaller tire on the front, you don't have that smooth crisp feel when you are rolling in and out of turns. You have to lean a little more. But, nothing you can't get used to, and after awile it becomes a non-issue, at least for me. Oh yeah, and the cost of the upgrades and accessories suck. They are way overpriced, just like Harley. That being said, I LOVE everything else about it. It looks good, it turns heads, it has plenty of power, even without the stage one kit, which I will upgrade to soon. From what everybody is saying, the ideal setup is the Stage one kit, with an S&S airbox. Victory puts out a quality bike. Would I buy again? yep.

You might want to check into a Victory Hammer, too. Sounds like that might be just up your alley.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Welcome to the VOG.
Coming from a totally different bike there will be differences some good, some not so good. Let me say that if speed and cornering is so important to you then maybe you should rethink V-twins. I'm a little older than you and my reason to buy a Vic was to cruise. I don't care to be the fastest anymore, I love the look of the Vegas so I bought one(I used to be 10' tall & bulletproof but that went away with a wife & kids). Even though it's slow compared to the "crotch rockets" it's fast compared to the other twins and I'm happy with that.
To answer some of your questions I don't notice enough vibs to complain about at any speed.
Issues depend on year.
Yes I would buy again but not one that has the O2 sensor that so many whine about backfiring on decel. ;-) That one hasn't come up in a while has it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an 03 with the stage one. I can hit 90 without breaking a sweat, never pushed it past that. I have not noticed any sort of shake.

As for the pegs, it seems like my bike can take more lean than the one in the video. Maybe the one in the video is lowered?

I would buy a victory again, absolutely. Actually I'm planning on it. Styling is amazing, and for a v-twin you get quite a bit of power right out of the factory.

·
Registered
752 Posts

For boulevard cruising you can't beat the Vegas/Jackpot. The handling is no problem once you get use to the steering - it requires counter steering to cut tight corners at speed.
For back road twists, the Hammer is better.

·
Registered
235 Posts

I love my vegas but would suggest looking at a hammer, with its upside down forks and twin disks, i had a test ride on one and thought that if i was looking again then the hammer or hammer 8 ball would be a serious consideration, but would i swop my vegas for one, for me its not worth the hit for the gain. if you get what i mean. but the vegas is the best bike i have owned.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

jameasu,
1. As high as you want... I have been in excess of 100mph without pushing it.
2. No vibration if you dont have the windshield on, moderate vibration between 65-85mph with the shield on, hang on if you do over 100mph with the shield. With all that said, it also depends on your shield.
3. If you are draggin your peg you either want to or you turned way to late or you just dont know how to ride. I never had an issue with peg dragging and do it more for fun then out of necessity.
4. Not really any outstanding issues. Aftermarket support is a little light but it is coming around.
5. No, I would not buy another one. I have owned 4 Vegas's and currently own 3 so honestly unless something drastic changes my next bike might be a Pin...lol
Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.