VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I've been riding for about 40 years, but new to the boards and considering my 1st Vic. I have one possibly for the "too good to be true?" file. Just wanted to get some thoughts from the experts before I go ahead.
2006 Kingpin, 5000 miles. 2 owners. Current has had it since 2010 and put about 2000 miles on it. It looks good, but I'm concerned about his maintenance habits. I live about 4 hours from it so haven't seen it in person. Info comes from the owner and pics/video.
Title/VIN is clear and that all checks out. Comcerns: It has the original tires. When asked about maintenance, he pointed out it only has 5k on it so it's only been done a couple times. By him. Says he rides 10-15 miles at a time every couple weeks to keep it up. Claims no issues with the clutch or fuel pump. I know the throttle body/adapters will need to be looked at. He's asking $5500. Is this in that too good to be true category? Other concerns I should have? I appreciate any input!! Thanks guys!
I tried to add a video of it running. Not sure it attached...
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I’d consider a different bike. That old and few of miles, all of the rubber bits are suspect and likely will need to be changed. Tires, absolutely, but also think of the throttle body boot, vacuum lines, etc.

I would also be concerned with the “rode 10-15 miles” to keep it up. These bikes take a long time to warm up and I don’t believe that short of run allowed for the bike to come to full temp, get the water/condensation out of the pipes, etc.

I also don’t see a garage in the pics, so I’d want to know where it was stored. Outside? Under a cover? Climate controlled garage?

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
If you are handy with a wrench I wouldn't be scared. But my offer would reflect the fact tires are needed as well as lord knows what. Tank liner could be peeling, you already mentioned the throttle boot. I do like the color. 06-07 are the nice 100's.

·
Registered
142 Posts
That’s almost exactly how it was when I bought my 07 kingpin. Same price too. Mine had 8,000 miles two years ago on original tires. I bought it from a small dealer so I didn’t know much of the maintenance history. I’ve replaced several things since buying it. Tires, plugs, wires, throttle body boot, exhaust, seat, headlight and other things. It ran fine before doing any of that I just wanted to make sure all the maintenance was done and some of it just because I wanted to. The clutch cable is the only thing that actually broke on mine. Still runs great 2 years later.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Looks like a nice bike from the one pic. Yeah I'd offer less (less is relative to everyone) and absolutely agree with all the maintenance items others have mentioned. The Kingpin is an amazing ride but I am a bit biased!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I'm ok with a wrench, but at this point, I'd rather not have to do much serious work and would most likely take it to the shop for repairs. I'm still good with regular maintenance.
The owner did tell me the bike was kept in a garage and/or storage shed and always covered. Not sure that makes me feel much better though.
If I do make an offer, and I'm not sure I will, it's going to be a bit of a low-ball. Sounds like I'd potentially have to spend a good chunk of change before I'd be comfortable riding it any length of time

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Hello everyone! I've been riding for about 40 years, but new to the boards and considering my 1st Vic. I have one possibly for the "too good to be true?" file. Just wanted to get some thoughts from the experts before I go ahead.
2006 Kingpin, 5000 miles. 2 owners. Current has had it since 2010 and put about 2000 miles on it. It looks good, but I'm concerned about his maintenance habits. I live about 4 hours from it so haven't seen it in person. Info comes from the owner and pics/video.
Title/VIN is clear and that all checks out. Comcerns: It has the original tires. When asked about maintenance, he pointed out it only has 5k on it so it's only been done a couple times. By him. Says he rides 10-15 miles at a time every couple weeks to keep it up. Claims no issues with the clutch or fuel pump. I know the throttle body/adapters will need to be looked at. He's asking $5500. Is this in that too good to be true category? Other concerns I should have? I appreciate any input!! Thanks guys!
I tried to add a video of it running. Not sure it attached...
View attachment 635034
FWIW I sold an 04 with 20k miles in great shape for $4,250 a few months ago. I realize regions have different prices. Mine was also a Premium model.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I wouldn’t be scared of it if it runs as good as it looks & history is verified. These are well built machines so staying clean while resting out of direct sunlight, rain & wind helps them age well. For sure change fluids, tires & perform a throughout goings over & show that thing other places besides inside a garage!!

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
The Kingpin Tour came with about 1500 in addons. Windshield, chrome accents on fenders, chrome passenger pegs, chrome belt guard, touring seat, back rest. If its not a tour it has a lot of stuff added to it.

Downsides, that tank strap over years may have damaged the clear on the tank, check that. Sitting is not good for them but if it starts, runs and drives when you get there I figure its worth 4500-5k with the miles and addons. Tires are probably too old to be safe.

It looks like a nice Kingpin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the input guys! I really appreciate it.
As a follow up, I did make an offer, taking into consideration the concerns listed above. The owner would not budge off $5500, which is fine. But what tells me I did the right thing is he explained he wouldn't go lower because the bike is in great shape, the tires are fine and don't need replacing, and neither do any of the other things I mentioned. So I'm thinking either he's full of BS or he doesn't understand maintenance. Neither of which I want to deal with. So the search goes on and hopefully I'll be back soon as an owner! Thanks for your help! 👍👍

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my humble opinion, you should've bought it at asking price for such a clean bike with so few miles on it. I paid $5000 for mine with higher miles on it, scrapes on it, and a ding in the tank. Mine did come with 2k in performance mods along with the rear trunk and side boxes. I've had mine for about 6 years, had to replace the fuel pump twice ( let it sit too long, they need to be ridden regularly ).

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
In my humble opinion, you should've bought it at asking price for such a clean bike with so few miles on it. I paid $5000 for mine with higher miles on it, scrapes on it, and a ding in the tank. Mine did come with 2k in performance mods along with the rear trunk and side boxes. I've had mine for about 6 years, had to replace the fuel pump twice ( let it sit too long, they need to be ridden regularly ).
But that was 6 years ago and before Polaris dropped the brand. Pricing is different now and I think the OP made a good decision to pass on this one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 2004 Kingpin in 2014 for $4500. It had 20K miles on it. I put about 2K miles a year on it. Have the shop service it once a year, only failure has been broken clutch cable that I fixed myself since it was a pain to get to the shop for repair. Love the bike. Would buy it again. I did small upgrades like back rack and self cancelling turn signals but nothing major. I do think I put tires on it.
Jim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts