VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here it goes
There are some things I hope some of you guys can shine some light on.......

First off... I really like the Vision
This bike is absolutely like new... if it wasn’t for the now 17,000 + km on the odo you would believe it was brand new.
I really like the look of the tank area. It looks like there is this giant gas tank in front of you as you ride .
The radio pre set buttons are great idea.
The bags hold more than I thought they would.
The seat is very comfortable
It feels massive but handles like a much smaller bike.
Like that the name Victory is lite in red across the trunk lid
Love the lockable steering and the way it is integrated in the ignition switch
Love the lockable lid that hides the gas cap and it is incorporated into the ignition switch.
Really like that if you use the steering lock the compartment that holds your phone or iPad or what ever you take and have plugged in to the bike also locks.... very cool
Little things like this make a huge difference when it’s time to park your bike and leave it unattended.....
The linked brakes work very well. You can tell there is front braking going on.
But
The radio sounds cheap compared to the XCT. The Vision speakers don’t come close...
On this bike for some reason I get helmet shake even with the shield up all the way. It’s not as tall as the XCT but is the OEM shield.
There is much more wind blowing on me than there is compared to my XCT. This is a bit of concern with our cold Canadian spring and falls..

My biggest issue is with the way the bike handles on the highway.
It feels VERY nervous, it’s a lot of work to hold a straight line.
It wonders constantly, it feels like it’s being steered from the rear. I have the belt running true with out touching the side of the pulley (not an easy task) and the belt is not to tight or loose once upto temp. Wheel bearings seem ok. Axle bolt is tight.
It may be these new tires. They are Dunlop E4 bias ply tires. The rear is a multi tread.
Reviews of this tire claim the side could wear out before the centre.And they are very very noisy at speed. They change there sound as the coarseness of the pavement changes.
But they stick like glue and feel great in the twisties.
I have never had bias ply tires on my XCT so I can’t compare these to anything else.

What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
26,151 Posts
Like that the name Victory is lite in red across the trunk lid
That's an accessory, not stock.

As for the highway riding I've never experienced that. I've had E3, E4, and 888 without any issue running straight down the road, quite the opposite. Tracks true and holds her line strong. It's one of the things I really love about the bike. I've even had the cruise on and ride hands free leaning my way down the road.

As for the wind maybe a flip windshield will help. I'm loving my two. I just bought a stock height flip from them and things it's great.
7JuRock

The only wind I get is from when I kick my feet out wide on my pegs, drop the shield, and have the lowers turned in. With my legs in, lowers out, and windshield up I hardly feel anything. Cold weather riding has never been easier.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I think it's the tires. The bike came with radials and should have had them put back on.

It may just be that they are new. However my Vegas with it's bias tires is not as stable as it was with the radial on the back.

My big bikes both have radials.

Our Chief likes his E4s. I won't try m simply because of the tread pattern of the front tire.

You may have to get a teller or flip shield. 1/4" in height is all it takes to be go or nogo.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's an accessory, not stock.

As for the highway riding I've never experienced that. I've had E3, E4, and 888 without any issue running straight down the road, quite the opposite. Tracks true and holds her line strong. It's one of the things I really love about the bike. I've even had the cruise on and ride hands free leaning my way down the road.

As for the wind maybe a flip windshield will help. I'm loving my two. I just bought a stock height flip from them and things it's great.
7JuRock

The only wind I get is from when I kick my feet out wide on my pegs, drop the shield, and have the lowers turned in. With my legs in, lowers out, and windshield up I hardly feel anything. Cold weather riding has never been easier.
View attachment 490779

This is an option or added pcs.
Cool

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I would also say it is probably a tire issue, wasn't the front tire way over inflated when you first got the bike ?. I would recheck the tire pressures and pay special attention to the one that was over inflated. Come to think of it when I went from the XC to the Vision I found myself over steering just a little at first because I was used too the extra weight of the fairing on the XC and the Vision with the fixed fairing takes less input, that may be something to take into consideration. Also I don't like looking through a shield so I run with my upper wind deflectors out/closed otherwise I get slight helmet buffeting with my half helmet and with the lower air deflectors in/open I get enough air.

Reactions: mister-g

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I
I would also say it is probably a tire issue, wasn't the front tire way over inflated when you first got the bike ?. I would recheck the tire pressures and pay special attention to the one that was over inflated. Come to think of it when I went from the XC to the Vision I found myself over steering just a little at first because I was used too the extra weight of the fairing on the XC and the Vision with the fixed fairing takes less input, that may be something to take into consideration. Also I don't like looking through a shield so I run with my upper wind deflectors out/closed otherwise I get slight helmet buffeting with my half helmet and with the lower air deflectors in/open I get enough air.
I checked the front pressure this morning and it was at 38.
On the way to work there was a slight side wind and every time I got a little blast from the side the bike would tip in that direction. Tried riding with one hand and still all over the road.
I have to say when riding the XCT I couldn't tell what direction the wind was coming from. I don't mind looking through the shield.
It doesn't matter if the winglets are open or closed there s no difference in helmet shake.
With the shield down all the way I can just see over it and the buffeting will turn your brain to mush.

I was really hoping I could run the highway like the XCT and lower the shield for city riding.
But I will have to get a taller shield and then I will not be able to see over it when it's in the down position.

On the demo bikes it seemed the shield had much more travel.

Also I find the Visions ride very harsh over bumps compared to the XCT.
The upside down forks on the XCT are the best I have come across.

·
Super Moderator
26,151 Posts
I

On the way to work there was a slight side wind and every time I got a little blast from the side the bike would tip in that direction. Tried riding with one hand and still all over the road.
I have to say when riding the XCT I couldn't tell what direction the wind was coming from. I don't mind looking through the shield.
It doesn't matter if the winglets are open or closed there s no difference in helmet shake.
With the shield down all the way I can just see over it and the buffeting will turn your brain to mush.

I was really hoping I could run the highway like the XCT and lower the shield for city riding.
But I will have to get a taller shield and then I will not be able to see over it when it's in the down position.

I'm at a lose. I've never had such issues on either of mine.

I would say instead of getting a taller shield get a 7Jurock with the flip need stick height. That's what I added on my 13 and though I had no complaints before it is cleaner now. Plus I can keep the shield lower than the stock but still be in clean air because of the flip.

I do occasionally get some buffeting on my 08 but it has a short flip but that really depends on the direction of the wind. Most the time even it being a short is better performing than the standard stock shield.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
My buddy has ridden his 2010 Vision over 80K kms and it rides true. Do you have bias on the front and a radial on the rear? That a disaster waiting to happen. Totally different ride characteristics in play. I dislike Dunlop anything. Noisy and I don’t trust them when the roads are wet. I’ve ridden Avon’s and now Metzler 888’s. I recommend these ones but it’s your decision. Get rid of the Dunlop’s.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I

Well just goes to show how different we all tend to be !. I would recommend the 7 Jurock flip shield myself like VVB has mentioned, but mine is 2" shorter than stock because the top of the stocker was right in my line of sight in the lowest position.

·
Super Moderator
26,151 Posts
Well just goes to show how different we all tend to be !. I would recommend the 7 Jurock flip shield myself like VVB has mentioned, but mine is 2" shorter than stock because the top of the stocker was right in my line of sight in the lowest position.
Good point.

I guess I should have added I can easily see over the stock and usually kept it about half way up as a sweet spot. I'm 5-11 barefoot so an inch or two more or less may be better for your height and needs.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
My Michelin commander 2's run perfectly. Glide down the road true. 42psi back and 38 front. 32lbs in shock. Can't even feel the cattle guards, unlike my GW with E3's did. I actually have the OEM short screen and use half helmet usually and no problems. Always liked the lit Victory.

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
If I had to guess about the weird track it has to be either tires or some kind of alignment issue. Are we sure this bike has never gone down? I'm just asking, because if it aint tires... You might want to make sure your wheels are true. I, like Dog, set cruise and can ride hands free with no worries. I can't comment on CCT vs Vision over bumps. I will say that in my opinion I think the shock could be better. I still think about going to the Penske.

For air management, you must get a Flip. I did not like my stock screen at all. I got the Ness flip and all was well after that.

Reactions: VicVisionBulldog

·
6,677 Posts
@robsvision Oh, the radio... The Vision OEM radio absolutely stinks! The CCT stereo is far superior. But I don't use my stereo much, so it has never been an issue for me. If it was I would have replaced it a long time ago. I listen to ball games with it, and not much else. It does OK for listening to ball games!

• Haha

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I haven't found a nicer highway ride than my XCT. I've ridden many bikes. Vision is a close 2nd.

Reactions: Ghostrider25

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm at a lose. I've never had such issues on either of mine.

I would say instead of getting a taller shield get a 7Jurock with the flip need stick height. That's what I added on my 13 and though I had no complaints before it is cleaner now. Plus I can keep the shield lower than the stock but still be in clean air because of the flip.

I do occasionally get some buffeting on my 08 but it has a short flip but that really depends on the direction of the wind. Most the time even it being a short is better performing than the standard stock shield.
Was on the 7jurock web site
I will have to call them
There address entry will not except Nova Scotia as an address
Maybe I should have tried New Scotland.........lol
Shipping is almost as much as the shield......

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My buddy has ridden his 2010 Vision over 80K kms and it rides true. Do you have bias on the front and a radial on the rear? That a disaster waiting to happen. Totally different ride characteristics in play. I dislike Dunlop anything. Noisy and I don't trust them when the roads are wet. I've ridden Avon's and now Metzler 888's. I recommend these ones but it's your decision. Get rid of the Dunlop's.
I have burnt through a shiit load of tires on the XCT and for the price I think the Shinkos are the way to go.
Not a top of the line tire for sure but if you do a lot of highway running that destroys bike tires you might as well save some money on rubber.
What I found interesting was how thick the face of the tire was even though it was bald. Completely worn out and still had more protection from a flat than a brand new name brand high end tire.
I was very disappointed in the 888s they may have changed since I bought one last.
Thought I found a replacement in the Commander II they suck. Didn't last at all.
I am hard on the throttle and very hard on brakes.
My XCT at just under 100,000km still has the OEM rear pads.....

·
Super Moderator
26,151 Posts
I was very disappointed in the 888s they may have changed since I bought one last.
Thought I found a replacement in the Commander II they suck. Didn't last at all.
I am hard on the throttle and very hard on brakes.
I think the 888s ride very similar to the E4s. If you didn't like one it makes sense you wouldn't like the other. I however have really enjoyed both. I feel they are in the sporty side unlike the flat feeling E3s.

·
6,677 Posts
I have only had E3s and E4s and I much prefer the E4. Better grip, better ride and waaay better wet performance.

I still think I will go for Avons next set.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think the 888s ride very similar to the E4s. If you didn't like one it makes sense you wouldn't like the other. I however have really enjoyed both. I feel they are in the sporty side unlike the flat feeling E3s.
I screwed up
I meant the 880s I haven't run the 888s

I went for a long run today with higher tire pressure.
43 in the back 41 in the front.
Tire noise was much reduced
Straight line tracking was better. I can live with it.
I really like the bike so this is not a deal breaker.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.