VOG Forum banner

Cold weather riding boots

4129 31
Does anyonehave a great set of cold weather riding boots that they would highly recommend? I curently use my reqular boots with a thick pair of cold weather hiking socks. Gotta be something better. As alwys a picture is worth a thousand words. A link even works for me. Thanks for your time.
Enjoy the chilli riding! (it was 34 this morning and I got 71 miles one way to work)
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Phoenix9 has always recommended wearing a heavy pair of socks over "dress" sox and I always wondered about it so yesterday (10/3) morning with ambient temps in the low 40's I tried it and was very surprised. While my feet weren't absolutely toasty they were comfortable enough to make me a believer. If only I had been smart enough to remember to put my soft lowers on the highway bars I could have been even more comfortable.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Danner insulated elk hunting boots - 600g of Thinsulate. I've worn Danner for years. They make boots for the military (for the Rangers a boot called the "Ft. Lewis" were nicknamed "Go Devils."). Great boots - durable & comfortable. With a treatment of "Sno-Seal" are very water proof too. Good luck!!

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
stilcrazee said:
Phoenix9 has always recommended wearing a heavy pair of socks over "dress" sox and I always wondered about it so yesterday (10/3) morning with ambient temps in the low 40's I tried it and was very surprised. While my feet weren't absolutely toasty they were comfortable enough to make me a believer. If only I had been smart enough to remember to put my soft lowers on the highway bars I could have been even more comfortable.
Glad I could help Jim. The lowers would have been a big improvement just to keep the "wind chill" from pulling the heat away from you.

Just don't forget my warm hands trick with the surgical gloves........25+ years of playing soccer and watching sports in wicked cold weather has taught me the little tricks.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I feel that lace up boots let the air in. I bought a pair of ATV winter boots from The Sportman's Guide and they work well but are a bit clumsy.
Lowers on a Vision and Desert Dawgs on the engine guard for other models.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Touring boots from various manufacturers should fit the bill. I'm not a huge fan of work boots for riding, taking the belief that you should use the right tool for the job.

I'm a fan of TCX boots but it looks like they are not being distributed as widely as they have in the past. Tourmaster, Sidi and Alpinestar all have good products in this space.

The most important thing in a touring boot is it's waterproof capabilities. Nothing will cause cold feet faster then wet feet. A good waterproof boot with the proper socks, heated if needed are the best IMHO.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all so far for the tips. I tried the Heavy wool socks over dress socks this morning. I have a 71 mile ride and it dipped to 33 degrees F this morning. I wear pull on boot, (non insulated) and I was pretty comfortable. I like the other boot suggestions - thanks for the input and keep the suggestions coming!

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
also those danner look nice. I went with a pair of rocky's from gander mountain. Zip up sides as well and water resistant and pretty comfortable.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
SammyJ said:
redpin04 said:

these look warm
If nothin' else these babies are stylin'! Are they fire-proof too?
I got $50 bucks for the first guy who pulls up at Daytona bike week with these bad boys and wears 'em all day.....with their jeans tucked into them.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have a pair of boots from BMW that are great. Feet never get cold. (I'm a skier from way back so have this cold weather thing down pretty good.)

Not sure of the model but I love these boots and they are comfy as well.

Looks like they are due for a polish!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
FishWitch,
Nice boots. A suggestion, seal with silicone then coat with a good hand rubbed boot polish. I also spray my boots with a high gloss boot polish spray. This keeps them dry and looking good for most of the season. Also remember when they do get wet (like when the water drips from your pants down inside your boots) to pack them with newspaper overnight and they will be dry by morning. They will stay nice and soft this way too. My grandfather always dried his boots this way. :)
Sorry to steal the thread.

·
Registered
206 Posts

Alpinestars are warm and totally waterproof. Not cheap though. Usually go for between $250.00 & $300.00 at the shows here in Canada.
When it gets really really cold here in Toronto I've been known to ride with a pair of thirty dollar winter lace ups from Walmart. They are good below the freezing mark when worn with thermal socks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.