VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been chilly the past week here. But the garage remains warmer than the outside. We all understand that cold temps reduces tire pressures and warm/hot temps increase them. I installed the Fobo tire pressure monitors this past July and have witnessed some interesting results that I've never given a thought to in the past.

I set both tires at 41# around 20C (68F) 2 weeks ago.
This morning, the garage was 10C (50F) and the following readout was showing. Fobo shows a pink warning when the pressures are either 8% over the set amount or under.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Photograph White

After a bit of a ride today, the tires warmed up to the temps shown and the pressures went up accordingly. It appears both tires have lost 1# of air pressure.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Photograph

Last month, I was in Yakima, WA and the following readout was after returning to the hotel on a 41C (106F) ride for about an hour.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Photograph

They really do vary with the temps. But it's good to see just how much. I was being chimed thru the fairing speakers via Bluetooth (also does into my helmet speakers via my Sena headset) when the temps of the tires exceed 8% of the set pressure (+3.2#). When it reaches 25% over or under for that matter, it sounds an alarm. The rear tire didn't heat up to 51# so the alarm never did sound.

Posted merely for interest sake.

·
Super Moderator
26,150 Posts
You can set both the low and high alarm yourself. That way it will not be chiming in your ear as much with the standard rise in pressure.

You have to go in the settings to change it. Then you have to remove the sensor, wait 8 seconds (I think), and then reinstall to have the change take effect. It walks you through it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Is it maybe a little to sensitive?

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it maybe a little to sensitive?
No. They say the parameters to notify (11 times in a row) when it's up or down 8% in the set tire pressures. I'll have to bugger around with it sometime to have it notify me when it's about 5# over or under the set pressures. Art least I know it's working!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a FOBO installed but took it off. I hated it for several reasons 1) I did not think it was very accurate. I have a very good tire pressure gauge, and they were never very close. At the end of the day, I believed the tire pressure gauge more than the FOBO. 2) I hated the siren alert sound. Drove me nuts, and there wasn't a good alternate tone option. 3) My home office desk is next to the garage. The annoying siren (see #2) would go off at random times during the day, while working at my desk.

Im glad I dumped the thing, and I am happy to take a pressure reading before I ride.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a FOBO installed but took it off. I hated it for several reasons 1) I did not think it was very accurate. I have a very good tire pressure gauge, and they were never very close. At the end of the day, I believed the tire pressure gauge more than the FOBO. 2) I hated the siren alert sound. Drove me nuts, and there wasn't a good alternate tone option. 3) My home office desk is next to the garage. The annoying siren (see #2) would go off at random times during the day, while working at my desk.

Im glad I dumped the thing, and I am happy to take a pressure reading before I ride.
I'm not keen on lying on the ground every day to take tire pressure readings when I can activate the Fobo app and measure it in a matter of moments before riding. Actually before every single ride. I trust the readings from Fobo as being as accurate as some made in China tire pressure gauge. Each to their own I guess. I suppose you sold your pair to some unsuspecting sucker?

·
Super Moderator
26,150 Posts
I'm not keen on lying on the ground every day to take tire pressure readings when I can activate the Fobo app and measure it in a matter of moments before riding. Actually before every single ride. I trust the readings from Fobo as being as accurate as some made in China tire pressure gauge. Each to their own I guess. I suppose you sold your pair to some unsuspecting sucker?
Mine has proven to always be close to my digital gauge.

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
I had the 90 degree valve stems on my Nomad when I got it, and love them. I am expecting an order from Witch Doctor's with them in it. Going to put them on the Vic. Makes life so much easier. Especially that back tire.

You know somethings wrong when you start loosing arguments to your electronic gadgetry.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
I have my Tiregard ones set at 5 over the set readings of 38 and 40 (front and rear respectively) have seen my tyres go up to 57 degrees without the alarm going off for the pressure being too high, but am very wary at those temps. (Celcius temps). I think the pressures have not exceeded the 43 mark for the front but have had the back one give a warning a couple of times at more than 45 psi.... Time to stop to have a look round the scenery when that happens I believe.....

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've decided to order the Fobo T- valves and have them replace the OEM ones during the next tire replacement. Will make touching up cold tire pressures easier by not having to remove the sensor units.

FOBO Bike - FOBO

Just a question for those who may know:
The Vic tire valve rim holes - are they 8.3mm (21/64") or 11.3mm (29/64") in diameter?

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It seems like the air pressure is way to high for a 106 temp.
How do you know Fobo is reading write. You could have a faulty Fobo
A friend of mine has the TPMS that mounts on the handle bars. He told me that when he was riding in hot states, he's seen 57# show on the readout for the rear tire. I'm convinced the pressures are correct as displayed. It's just that we've never given them any thought and when we see them that high, it makes us wonder.

·
Super Moderator
26,150 Posts
From a thirty minute ride with the bike thermometer reading 90. Riding easy in little traffic.

Wheel Tire Motorcycle Automotive tire Vehicle

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.