VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought that I would pass the word that my Ross-Tech VCDS (VAG Com Diagnostic System - a tool for talking to Audi and VW car's computers/controllers) works to read codes, reset codes, and read sensors on my 2004 Kingpin. Pretty handy. It also does the same for my VWs, my 97 Dodge, and quite a few other vehicles.

It showed that my Check Engine light had been due to a momentarily bad Vehicle Speed Sensor - I had just washed the bike, and the CEL cleared itself. But the code was stored and I was able to read it and clear it. Then look at air temp, throttle position, MAP, and several other parameters on the bike.

From internet searches it appears that few devices will work for this. (Dealer Digital Wrench, and one other motorcycle code reader that I found.)

This VCDS diagnostic system works on PC's (and maybe phones now) and costs $250 to $350 so I don't suppose many will go buy one, but if you drive VW's it may be worth it to you.

Or you may be able to borrow one. Do an internet search on "VCDS locator" or "VAG-COM locator". I know many people do share their's, and there are internet pages or forums that post locations and how to contact the owners. I also share the use of mine, or use it for folks.

If anyone has any experience with a good diagnostic tool for these Victory bikes, (other than dealer only devices) i would like to hear of them.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
i have the VCDS since 2002 for my new at the time 2001 jetta 1.8T. its a great tool that gets upgrades as new models come out, works on any VW or Audi + does more than i am comfortable with as it notes you can make make your car inoperable so write down original codes before changing. its can-bus capable so wondering how it would interact with my 13 hammer + seen it mentioned on triumph forums, my other bike a 2012 bonnie. technology is great when you know how!!!!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
it was mentioned using the VCDS with tuneECU a free software for all but newest bonnies + earlier sporty models, but the proper connecter was way cheap so i got that. not a computer geek so i have not figured it out yes, gotta download drivers etc. when working everything is there, change fueling + timing + check + clear codes, a great tool if you know how, as usual!!!

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
it's better to open a regular ODBII connector, solder the pins the same way VagCom has them and use it with a generic ODB app.

if you inadvertantly blow the ecu with some Vag commands it'll cost you. If it's under warranty it could screw things up too.

there's a guy on Ebay who sells a converted connector for 39 bucks. Much safer for sensor monitoring and feedback and resets.

or swap the pin locations on a standard connector like I did and no need for the Vag setup. I have that and that's how I got the pin configuration. Cost you 15-20 bucks and mine works with BT right off my phone and an ODBii app.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yesterday our matco tool man loaned me a code read tool for automotive work and when I use the thing and went to the vw model it would read the codes and check them for me. it was a creader brand tool and he was selling it for $185.00 but still wanting do some research before I buy it. one of our dealers here at John Deere also sells Polaris four wheelers and thinking about running up there and see if their tool will work on it. just bought this 2004 kingpin and every time I ride her it just makes me happy to have got it. I use to ride a Vulcan but glad I got the Victory. One thing though I still love my KLR 650 can't beat it for riding on the country roads.
thanks and happy riding,
mike baalman
2004 Kingpin
Grinnell, ks

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
trying something new that can cause damage is scary + without a doubt scare tactics are used to get users of whatever to buy the "official" $$$ product if available. generic VAG diagnostic units can do a lot but not everything a real one can. i have had my Ross-Tech system prolly since 2002, shortly after buying my new 1.8T Jetta + i continually get upgrades on line for new Vag cars. this unit does more than i have taken the time to learn but has saved me $$$ several times, a good investment for sure. had the jetta 10 yrs 200,000 miles traded for a 2001 TT 225Q roadster it works well, used on girlfriends MK IV jetta as well as her Passat. i like turbo cars because it easy to add power + VW + Audi remain very tunable @ reasonable prices. the newest GTI 2.0T gains 78 hp + 105 TQ on 93 octane!!! drivetrains beware, tunes for the weaker DSG trannies as well, about $700 now i believe + generally better exhaust + intakes are recommended, thats 316 hp + 381 TQ @ the wheels on a dyno!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
it's better to open a regular ODBII connector, solder the pins the same way VagCom has them and use it with a generic ODB app.

if you inadvertantly blow the ecu with some Vag commands it'll cost you. If it's under warranty it could screw things up too.

there's a guy on Ebay who sells a converted connector for 39 bucks. Much safer for sensor monitoring and feedback and resets.

or swap the pin locations on a standard connector like I did and no need for the Vag setup. I have that and that's how I got the pin configuration. Cost you 15-20 bucks and mine works with BT right off my phone and an ODBii app.
Will it work on my victory 92

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
for VAG cars ALL of them with updates on line for every new model years, get the real deal from RossTech!! had mine since 2002 for my 2001 jetta, read the girlfriends jetta + passat + now my 2001 TT, although i upgraded the reader once. it will do more than most will know how to, + it has forum support in places like the VWVortex!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just thought that I would pass the word that my Ross-Tech VCDS (VAG Com Diagnostic System - a tool for talking to Audi and VW car's computers/controllers) works to read codes, reset codes, and read sensors on my 2004 Kingpin. Pretty handy. It also does the same for my VWs, my 97 Dodge, and quite a few other vehicles.

It showed that my Check Engine light had been due to a momentarily bad Vehicle Speed Sensor - I had just washed the bike, and the CEL cleared itself. But the code was stored and I was able to read it and clear it. Then look at air temp, throttle position, MAP, and several other parameters on the bike.

From internet searches it appears that few devices will work for this. (Dealer Digital Wrench, and one other motorcycle code reader that I found.)

This VCDS diagnostic system works on PC's (and maybe phones now) and costs $250 to $350 so I don't suppose many will go buy one, but if you drive VW's it may be worth it to you.

Or you may be able to borrow one. Do an internet search on "VCDS locator" or "VAG-COM locator". I know many people do share their's, and there are internet pages or forums that post locations and how to contact the owners. I also share the use of mine, or use it for folks.

If anyone has any experience with a good diagnostic tool for these Victory bikes, (other than dealer only devices) i would like to hear

If anyone has any experience with a good diagnostic tool for these Victory bikes, (other than dealer only devices) i would like to hear of them.
I know its been a few years but i had to respond to this. I just bought an 04 V92C and the check engine was on the display. Ran fine but it bugged me. I found the bike had an OBD2 style connector under the right side panel. I am 30 yr Chrysler Tech and i used a cheap hand held scan tool and was able to read code. Turned out to be a p1101 and a TPS relearn fixed the problem. I have seen a few posts with warnings not to try automotive scan tools. I admit i was a little worried posted about electrical problems when someone posted not to use it but then i thought no way is Polaris going to put an OBD2 connector that is going to melt anything and i was right. I first used the old Chrysler DRB 3 in generic scan tool mode. It wouldn't connect but it is old so it may be the scan tool. I borrowed the cheap scan tool that our Service Advisers use in the drive lane (If Auto Zone reads codes for free i guess my boss thinks we should too.) Its has 2 buttons, read and erase and it worked fine.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
interesting for sure!! i have my Vag-Com since purchasing my new jetta 1.8T in 2001, use it on my 01 TT now + used on girlfriends jetta + passat!!! a great tool that i never tried on my 13 hammer. Ross-Tech the tool builder has a dedicated web site with great info as well. my original version has been upgraded twice i think + regular updates as newer VAG aka volkswagen auto group cars come out yearly. the "tool" hooked to my laptop can do a lot more than i have taken the time to learn + be aware it can disable a vehicle if a "wrong" change is made!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.