VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to replace my clutch the bike was a 2011 cross country with only 2000 miles on it. I have 5000 on it just driving to work. When I’m driving it seems to slip for a split second then goes back to normal. It seems to happen more when everything is hot. Took a ride up a local mountain and it slip quit a few times. I don’t know what oil the gent befor me was using but Iv replaced it twice with victory oil. I’m going to adjust the clutch cable tension tonight. For ****s and giggles I called my local dealer and they said the clutch would be 2000.00 is dollars plus two hrs shop time. So where can I get a good cheaper clutch if I need to get one? Or has anyone had similar problems and has a better solution. Thank for helping

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Adjust it when the bike is stone cold!
If after that if your still having issues you may want to invest in a couple tools and do the clutch yourself. Probably save about 12-1500.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
No... don't even pretend that a static adjustment is a good idea. Get the bike fully warmed up. Rolling in a higher gear at a lower speed, twist the throttle. As the bike is under load, slowly squeeze the clutch lever. This will show you EXACTLY how much freeplay you have by when the clutch starts to disengage. If the clutch starts slipping as soon as you move the lever, it's TOO TIGHT. If nothing happens for like 1/4" it's all good.

Replacing a clutch at 5000 miles... it got smoked because no one noticed the cable was adjusted too tight.... So what are the odds the new clutch is going to last any longer than the 1st one?

C'mon, people, pay attention to your machine. You ride it every day so you should notice things about it. Your motorcycle is not a mechanical mystery keeping secrets from you. It will tell you what it needs, you just have to listen... I assume everyone here is smarter than a clutch cable, right?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
No... don't even pretend that a static adjustment is a good idea. Get the bike fully warmed up. Rolling in a higher gear at a lower speed, twist the throttle. As the bike is under load, slowly squeeze the clutch lever. This will show you EXACTLY how much freeplay you have by when the clutch starts to disengage. If the clutch starts slipping as soon as you move the lever, it's TOO TIGHT. If nothing happens for like 1/4" it's all good.

Replacing a clutch at 5000 miles... it got smoked because no one noticed the cable was adjusted too tight.... So what are the odds the new clutch is going to last any longer than the 1st one?

C'mon, people, pay attention to your machine. You ride it every day so you should notice things about it. Your motorcycle is not a mechanical mystery keeping secrets from you. It will tell you what it needs, you just have to listen... I assume everyone here is smarter than a clutch cable, right?
IDK I'm fluid... hydraulic and all...:angel4:

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
IDK I'm fluid... hydraulic and all...:angel4:
Don't over fill the reservoir. As the fluid heats in the line it needs someplace to go.

Hydraulic clutch does not eliminate maintenance items and issues.
I'm looking to replace my clutch the bike was a 2011 cross country with only 2000 miles on it. I have 5000 on it just driving to work. When I'm driving it seems to slip for a split second then goes back to normal. It seems to happen more when everything is hot. Took a ride up a local mountain and it slip quit a few times. I don't know what oil the gent befor me was using but Iv replaced it twice with victory oil. I'm going to adjust the clutch cable tension tonight. For ****s and giggles I called my local dealer and they said the clutch would be 2000.00 is dollars plus two hrs shop time. So where can I get a good cheaper clutch if I need to get one? Or has anyone had similar problems and has a better solution. Thank for helping
On a low mileage older bike...also check that the lever moves free. Remover the lever, clean , lube and reassemble being sure to not over tighten the screw.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The oil the clutch is sitting in is also a consideration as a possible cause. Full synthetic can cause problems for some people. If the problem is not the adjustment and it's because the clutch is burnt or glazed it's gotta come apart.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Mike has the adjustment a bit too loose. But read your owner's manual and do this service during your regular oil change using 'Victory 20W-40' oil of course! Don't believe the nay sayers!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Don't over fill the reservoir. As the fluid heats in the line it needs someplace to go.

Hydraulic clutch does not eliminate maintenance items and issues.

On a low mileage older bike...also check that the lever moves free. Remover the lever, clean , lube and reassemble being sure to not over tighten the screw.
Yea I follow the manual. They know better than I. My biggest fear is the reverse. Can't find a video and my shop manual doesn't cover it. Weird right.
Probably pay the hour labor have victory do it. Then I'll know for future...

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Yea I follow the manual. They know better than I. My biggest fear is the reverse. Can't find a video and my shop manual doesn't cover it. Weird right.
Probably pay the hour labor have victory do it. Then I'll know for future...
The reverse kit Victory offered? All info on it would have come on sheets inside the box.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.