Clutch slip | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Clutch slip

Discussion in 'Victory Vision' started by glennuk, Jan 2, 2019.

1. poptop

poptop Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    09 Black Kingpin Prem rpw Thor 2 into 1. cams and ajustable timing wheel S+S intake and flash
    Wow im running around 105 hp and 110 tourqe in the kingpin,09 with 100 cubes!
    100.000 with the hydrulic clutch and never a slip ,4 years of 3 or 4 daus at the 1/4 mile strip and always at least 10 runs !
    In the past 10 years probably close to 75 or more back road drag races with buddies and god know how many pratic launches!
    Clutch has been bullet proff!
    Was talking to Rylan at Vic shop when he put in the cames for me and stuff and he sugested that the Vic clutch can easily handle 120 hp ,and that by simply upgradeing to a bartlet clip spring it will do alot more!
    If these clutches im reading about3 on here are all doing **** like this as your saying im thing there is some ajustment issues some where! Oil won,t be intermitant ,linkage can be if your clutch is not holding with a basicly stock bike but works much of the time its either drive error or something is hanging up!
    My best guess!
    Hammer it in 5th gear at 3 grand over and over to find out if its driver error you should be able to identify what your doing wrong if its something else perhaps you can isolate wht brings it on!
    If its very consistant get a new clutch spring

2. RodZone

RodZone Member

Versys 1000, MT 01
    I had slip at 5,000 rpm on a uphill drag against a friends modded Harley and on a couple of other full power drags. Doesn't slip otherwise but I may get the Barnett pack etc anyway. Clutches don't last forever on modified bikes.

3. poptop

poptop Well-Known Member

09 Black Kingpin Prem rpw Thor 2 into 1. cams and ajustable timing wheel S+S intake and flash
    What mods have you done to the bike and arevyou at or beyohnd 120 hp

4. lou8700

lou8700 Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads, 2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
    I wouldn't call Vic clutches weak. My original XR clutch is fine with over 112,000 miles. Any chance your 5000 mile failure could be connected with the feathering during cone competition?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    @lou8700 It's a Vision thing, Lou... :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DSmith

DSmith Active Member

08 Vision, 13 Vision, 01 V92, 12 Triumph Tiger, 12 Can Am Spyder, 11 Polaris Sportsman 850 EFI, 81 Yamaha Maxum
    I am sure it played a part as I will never get the kind of mileage that you did. By saying Vic Clutches are weak I am comparing them to other bikes doing the same thing and having fewer problems. If installed correctly the Vic clutches will hold up just fine with normal riding. Guess I'm not normal!

As to the 5000 mile failure, all my other clutches have lasted much longer, on this one we were playing with the hyd clutch adjustment by remaking the hyd ram mounts. We had the clutch lever engaging up close to the bars rather than nearly extended all the way out. It was great I thought until the clutch failed. The only thing I could conclude was I adjusted it cold and as it heated up the clearances changed, increased slippage and caused the failure. I went back to factory mounts and clutches started lasting longer.

7. RodZone

RodZone Member

Versys 1000, MT 01
    All the usual to get 118/118.

8. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Our stock clutches will handle up to 125/ 125 with just simple maintenance and of course the proper oil

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. poptop

poptop Well-Known Member

It is very commonly excepted that the vic clutches are as a rule happy untill apox 125 / 125 as also Slicvic and others have mentioned!,
    There is a simple upgrade a different spring that give it a boost and is relativly inexpensive! Check with one of the Gurus such as Lloyds Keven X Vic shop or others on that springs capabilities

10. ledzep

ledzep Active Member

2011 cross roads, victory fairing, 2" pullback bars, Lloyds drop in cams, timing wheel, IAC idle valve, lloyds exhuast gaskets, D and D pipes, 1/4 turn throttle ring, Barnette push and pull stainless throttle cables, PCV tuned by Klye KMC 120hp, 118 ft lb
    Flush clutch and brake fluids every 2 years. It may help.

11. poptop

poptop Well-Known Member

I may have to look into changeing mine then after 10 years and 100,000 on 5he speedo

12. rczapla

rczapla New Member

2014 Victory Vision
    I have this issue now with 5000mi on my 2014 Vision Tour (purchased new in 2017 from a dealer making great deals on vics). I've taken the "beast" as I like to refer to "her" to several rider training sessions. The last session being a MDF Advanced Rider Coarse just last week and that's when the beast started saying "no more". I had a serious problem during the last session of the ARC where the bike was HOT and when I started it 3 hours into riding, the starter relay froze in the ON position. That was fun. Kill switch, Key out and the bike was trying to start itself. I thought I was in a Steven King film. Long story but I had it towed home, and let her cool off over night and put back on the trickle charger and the next day she starts, no problem. I noticed that the clutch was starting to slip slightly during the ARC exercises. I've used ONLY VICTORY OIL kits in the bike. I thought I just abused the bike a little much during the slow and control training, etc...I was taking the bike to the shop to make sure everything was good with the starter relay and I really noticed the clutch slipping when accelerating quickly. The Shop says the clutch needs some fixing. I'm surprised at the need for a new clutch at 5000mi but it is what it is and I would not trade the fun I had pushing the bike (safely) and learning how to respect and control the beast properly. Slow and in control is hell on big bikes but what fun it is to push that Vision into corners and keep pace with those sport bikes on small tight turns.

13. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    I would try an oil change first. My Vision is the hardest on oil, without looking at the trip meter I can tell when I have 2500 miles on the oil in the heat of summer. It'll creep at stops and slip when pushed. In the winter when I'm just commuting in the teens to 40° it'll go 3k which is when I change all my bikes.

My clutch slipped pretty good when I got my bike, I changed the oil several times in the first couple months. I've put 34,000 miles on the bike since purchase, same clutch.

Pick an oil and stick with it. Good quality MA2 rated and change it often, especially if you're working it hard .

I'd change my oil at any mileage if my bike got that hot. Just saying.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    The Vic oil is fine. That’s not your issue. You beat that clutch with your training. To become a better rider it is worth the cost of a clutch. Get a new clutch and stick with your oil or upgrade that oil to.......... wait .......... almost there ........oh boy .............
    Spectro Golden 4 Semi synthetic 20/40 ....... still feels good.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    Well, it's ok at best. But after being cooked in class it needs to be changed.

But you can get the best semi-synthetic (Spectro) for the cost the subpar Vic oil.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 2