Clutch slip | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Clutch slip

Discussion in 'Victory Vision' started by glennuk, Jan 2, 2019.

1. glennuk

glennuk Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Vision/goldwing 1800
    hi has anyone had clutch slip on a low mileage vision ? My vision only has 12000 miles on it 2000 miles since last dealer service running victory stage 1 took it out yesterday to set up fuel controller and it was fine for around 30 mile then as I throttled on hard it started to slip the clutch hadent been hard on the clutch as in drag start etc .when I search the forum all I find is other victory models and it’s normally to do with cable adjustment but the vision is hydraulic and has no adjustment that I can see . Anyone had this before?

2. Cruzie27

Cruzie27 Well-Known Member

16’ Gunner, 12’ XCT
    Keep looking,. There are a few post about hydraulic clutch adjustment on here. If I remember correctly a few guys had to bend the mounting bracket on the engine down by the actuator arm to get the clutch to fully engage.

3. glennuk

glennuk Active Member

Vision/goldwing 1800
    That was along my thoughts surely clutch can’t be worn out and there seams to be 0 play on clutch end I will look at it and see if I can come up with something to make it adjustable it’s just getting to it as I have reverse that covers it

4. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Oil ?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DSmith

DSmith Active Member

08 Vision, 13 Vision, 01 V92, 12 Triumph Tiger, 12 Can Am Spyder, 11 Polaris Sportsman 850 EFI, 81 Yamaha Maxum
    I had the lever start sticking on mine, wasn't going all the way out unless I pushed it, that could be your problem. I have tried bending and adapting the linkage without much luck, it seems they are either on or off.

I have seen Vic clutches fail with less mileage, had one go with only 5000 on it but that was when I was attempting to adjust the linkage.

Could be oil but probably not it you are using a wet clutch rated oil.

Vic clutches are weak, the plus side is they are relatively easy to change.

6. recumbentbob

recumbentbob Well-Known Member

2014 Cross Country Tour
    When was the last time you changed the fluid in the Hyd. clutch system?

7. DAVEofSAC

DAVEofSAC Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    Mileage's relative, I thought 40kM was low when my VV's clutch started slippin'.

When in a 6th gear and throttlin' hard is when ya usually see the clutch slippin' symptoms. Usually the gear indicator drops gears (without shiftin') and ya can see the tach go up with out speedometer movement.

Yes! VVs are hydraulic... so, as you say, no adjustment. I made the mistake of tryin' to adjust the slave cylinder piston rod and created a $150 mistake (in addition to replacin' the bad clutch).

Those guys that bent the slave piston mount probably needed it done. My experience with the VV clutch is... don't mess with the slave cylinder just change the clutch pack. Barnett's has a pack that'll work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OY7H6O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This pack fits 106 engine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. glennuk

glennuk Active Member

Vision/goldwing 1800
    Would rule oil out as same dealership did all the oil changes and as I’m 2000 miles in it would have slipped before now as for fluid it should be done under service but I would hazard a guess that they haven’t done it so yes I guess I will try bleeding and changing the fluid first and see what it’s doing now as soon as it slipped took it home and parked it up forgot to say this was in low gears

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  9. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    Seems the only oil related clutch issue I can remember was with certain pure synthetics. I have been using Vic oil Since new and never had an oil related slip. But the Vic OEM clutch is pretty weak for the Vision application and will slip eventually. I started getting the slip @ 30,000 miles when hard on the throttle upshifting to 5th and 6th. The clutch setup for Visions is generally not heavy enough to handle the job once you start making power upgrades. I ended up replacing the OEM clutch pack with a full Barnett setup and so far it has been good.

10. gerhardberger

gerhardberger Active Member

'10 Victory Vision Tour, '14 BMW C 650 GT, and a '14 Piaggio Liberty 125cc
    Something similar happened to my bike some years ago. Aprox with 50k KM it slipped once in 6th gear. I noticed it got nervous, and changed the oil. Since then, never happened again and I'm now in the 80k Kms. Dont know if it helps, but I would say: change oil...

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. primethious

primethious Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    A couple years back Bigfoot mentioned that his Vision clutch would slip intermittently on the highway. His fix best I recall was to grab the clutch lever a time or two and it would behave for a little while.
    The spring in Vic clutches is so weak that they are on the ragged edge when everything is in perfect working order...anything gets a little bit sticky or on the cable bikes if they get a little tight then they will make the clutch slip.
    Not only can you replace clutches, but you can upgrade stuff so it doesn't happen again.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Well-Known Member

2020 Harley FLHCS 114.
    Clean and grease the clutch lever itself, it may help and it can't hurt. Also check and make sure the fluid level is correct and not over filled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ughammer

ughammer Well-Known Member

Hard Ball 2012
    I also had a slipping clutch, I also used the Barnett pressure plate and discs and now I am happy.
    No more slipping although I increased the performance.

14. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    The last few oil related clutch slippage posts I can remember have been from using Vic oil. Just sayin brother. One was way over extended on his oil change. Another had a poorly adjusted cable and always used Vic oil but too late as the damage was done. As long as it’s wet clutch compatible and Jaso ma/2. Your riding habits are proper, your clutch is checked/ adjusted on a regular maintenance schedule (every oil change)......,your not a tester of different oil brands every oil change, or your PJRO trying to run 200plus hp motor thru a stock clutch I’d say oil mostly gets ruled out.

15. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    @slickvic Hmm, now you have me wondering. Oh well, I agree with you that 99.999% of clutch issues with these machines is not going to be oil related. The clutch is simply not heavy enough for the task it has to perform. Seems the two things that expose this the most is upgrading power and towing.