Clutch pack options that aren't Barnett? | Page 4 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Clutch pack options that aren't Barnett?

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by BrandonM7, May 31, 2018.

1. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    '14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    Amen, brother. For the street you don't need to hang off the bike so much. Proper body position will get you what you need much safer! As a result, my tires have a little Chicken Strip on the front now, but overall my cornering technique and effectiveness has improved.

Sorry, didn't mean to deviate from the subject! Carry on...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. BrandonM7

BrandonM7 Active Member

2008 Vision Tour Premium
    No trouble at all - just shot them an email explaining that I didn't want to reuse the factory judder spring and thin plate, and would rather use another regular friction plate instead, then asked if I could buy individual plates. He volunteered to send me a few spare plates for free so I could build the pack how I wanted. I got them in two days later. He sent three - if I could remember where the hell I put the other two I'd send you one of them, but I can't seem to lay hands on them right now.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. BrandonM7

BrandonM7 Active Member

2008 Vision Tour Premium
    Rocking and rolling, no troubles at all. A few thousand miles now, including an Advanced Rider Course doing the cone exercises on a 100+ degree south Florida day for four hours. Dad's HD 96 Softtail roasted its clutch within the first thirty minutes.

The purpose of the judder spring is to keep slight tension on the pack so you don't get any rattle/chatter when sitting with the lever pulled in. I've even done the rod trick (holding a metal rod to the case and your ear to make a make-shift stethoscope) and can't detect any even without the spring. Maybe once the pack wears down some it might start, but I can't imagine being able to hear it - with this box of rocks transmission and reasonably loud exhaust, plus my radio playing and me wearing earplugs it would have to be loud as **** to be noticeable. I've had dry open clutches before, I don't mind noises as long as I know what the noise is and that it isn't a problem. But so far none anyway. No lack of smoothness at all - the alto plates feel great even through hydraulics. Much better than the stock Victory plates, as good as the Barnetts.

I'm sold. Even if I had to replace it today I'd be satisfied - a few thousand miles and a motor officer course in extreme heat would be perfectly acceptable killers of a clutch pack. But they haven't killed it, so I'm happy. I have to get back to my Kawasaki Vulcan adjustable lever modification so I can get it closer to the grip for the cone courses. Just haven't had much time because I've been taking a skills course for a job opportunity in my spare time instead of tinkering with the bike.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Chicken Strip

Chicken Strip Active Member

2005 V92TC
    Awesome man! Good luck with the job opportunity. I need to find me a job where I get paid to ride my bike too :-D

5. normthenomad

normthenomad Well-Known Member

2012 Crossroads LE, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    No.

• Like Like x 1
  6. normthenomad

5300 miles on the Alto clutch pack, ridden hard. Original clutch lasted 43000. Like the general feel of the Alto better than the OEM

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 04VicVegas

04VicVegas New Member

Victory Vegas
  8. broggyr

broggyr Administrator Staff Member

2013 XCT
    That's what I did - I used the same kit.

9. 04VicVegas

04VicVegas New Member

Victory Vegas
    Thanks bruh for the speedy reply, one more thing when replacing my rack bearing the Polaris dealer told me to pack it with grease I think this is what messed my friction plates up in the first place and afterwards I realized the bearing didn’t need it but I’m changing oil anyways but feed back on this would be appreciated

10. normthenomad

Throw the judder plate/spring away, call or email Alto in Alabama they'll send you an extra plate [or two], they sent me mine for free. The judder plate may be a potential problem down the road. Besides my Victorys I've built Buell amd Sportster hot rods, the judder plate is fondly known as the "grenade plate" for a reason. they can and do give up especially under hard use. Many have gone the extra plate route for that reason. Barnett will even sell you an extra plate clutch pack. I quit using Barnett 15 years ago, their quality control seems to have gone down and the prices up. The customer service from Barnett ain't that great either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. 04VicVegas

04VicVegas New Member

Victory Vegas
    Thank you much

12. DSmith

DSmith Active Member

08 Vision, 13 Vision, 01 V92, 12 Triumph Tiger, 12 Can Am Spyder, 11 Polaris Sportsman 850 EFI, 81 Yamaha Maxum
    Looks like you have it figured out. I have been leaving the jutter in but on one of my rebuilds I am going to try the route that Norm recommended. Alto has been a great company for me to work with, I have been using them for my Harlee clutches and for 10 bucks they will warranty their plates no matter how you ride. I ride in rodeos so we burn through quite a few clutches.

Energy One is another company that makes a affordable clutch for the Vics, I haven't tried one yet but the folks at Alto even recommended trying them. It's always good to have another option out there that doesn't brake the bank.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 04VicVegas

04VicVegas New Member

Victory Vegas
    Got another noise happening right under clutch side of tank, when I move my knee towards tank I don’t hear it, move my knee out and it a very noticeable hum. Once I get it in fifth I don’t notice it at all but it could be the wind blocking it out! Any feedback much appreciated!!

14. normthenomad

Knew a chick like that once, move the knees out a little, could hear a definite hum.
    Not being able to hear it from this far away, does it change pitch with engine speed? Can you hear it while stopped? Checked your belt lately? Any chrome bling that mat be vibrating? More whine than hum? Hear it at parking lot speeds? All gears except 5th?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. 04VicVegas

04VicVegas New Member

Victory Vegas
    No not at parking lot speeds usually when going about 45-50