Clutch pack options that aren't Barnett? | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Clutch pack options that aren't Barnett?

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by BrandonM7, May 31, 2018.

1. BrandonM7

BrandonM7 Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2008 Vision Tour Premium
    Is there anything out there other than OEM and Barnett? OEM seems to be around $435 (which kind of stings, but at least we know they last forever) and after being a very long-time Barnett supporter I got vaguely-politely brushed off by them today after their pack started slipping in 212 miles -- dude legit told me "that clutch is just way too small for the Vision, no way it can last long." 212 miles...replacing an OEM pack that lasted 44,000 - clearly the size of the clutch is the problem...but I digress.

Any other options out there? I can't find anything and I feel like I'm pretty decent at searching the internet. I'm just having trouble believing NOBODY else makes clutch plates for Vics. I know they're low volume in the grand scheme of things, but dang. Where you at EBC? They make a kit for the Honda NR750 (of which 300 were made) but not for EVERY Victory? Surely someone makes something. Am I missing it, or is the cupboard just bare?

2. DSmith

DSmith Active Member

08 Vision, 13 Vision, 01 V92, 12 Triumph Tiger, 12 Can Am Spyder, 11 Polaris Sportsman 850 EFI, 81 Yamaha Maxum
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
  4. BrandonM7

BrandonM7 Active Member

2008 Vision Tour Premium
  5. BrandonM7

BrandonM7 Active Member

2008 Vision Tour Premium
    At that price I'm trying it - I'll give you my report in a month or so.

• Like Like x 6
  6. VicVisionBulldog

Good deal. I don't need one yet but it would be nice to know if it's good for when I do.

I hope it is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. DSmith

DSmith Active Member

08 Vision, 13 Vision, 01 V92, 12 Triumph Tiger, 12 Can Am Spyder, 11 Polaris Sportsman 850 EFI, 81 Yamaha Maxum
    I just ordered a clutch for my Road King from them so don't really have any first hand experience yet. Another competitor referred me to them, if you send in the warranty card, they will honor it know matter how you abuse them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. vision_nut

vision_nut Moderator Staff Member Moderator

vision 08
    Alto is a good quality clutch. Works with synthetic oil too. They have been using them in HD's for a good 9 years or more

• Informative Informative x 4
  9. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Just checked. 1 left !!!!

10. VicVisionBulldog

@BrandonM7 you doing this yourself. I've never had a clutch go out on a bike so I've never had to change one. Having my Visions and planning to keep them I'm sure this will one day become a reality. If you do it yourself I'd love to hear what you think of it. I know it is said to be easy and the Police Victory demo would change the clutch right on the spot but that doesn't mean it is as easy as claimed so hearing it from you would be great.

11. BrandonM7

BrandonM7 Active Member

2008 Vision Tour Premium
    Oh yeah man, it's a piece of cake. Really the hardest part of changing the clutch on this bike is not getting your finger pinched thanks to the strong-ass stator magnet at the front of the cover. It's an easy job for anyone willing to try it. If you can change your oil and brake pads you can do the clutch job no sweat, you'll just get a little dirtier. You don't even really need any special tools - a spring compressor exists, but a few small c-clamps can do the same duty for less than $10.

Since my Barnett setup has been so troublesome I've been in there three times in a short time period so I could probably swap it out in 20 minutes now. I'll try to take pics for you when I put this one in if you want. Hell, with the Vision you don't even have to lose any oil if you lay it on the right side tips before pulling the cover off.

• Informative Informative x 3
  12. VicVisionBulldog

That's good news. I'd love some pics.

That is one great feature with the tip overs. My bikes been in it's side a few times intensionally.

I hope this one turns out to work well for you.

13. primethious

primethious Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    If you use some threaded rods in the holes the cover won't pinch your fingers.

Jim's makes an adapter so you can use a regular clutch tool.
    I thought was pretty cool that he was supporting Victory owners.

Jims Clutch Spring Compressor Adapter #5804 Victory | eBay

Motion Pro Clutch Spring Compressor Tool | eBay

• Like Like x 1
  14. BrandonM7

BrandonM7 Active Member

2008 Vision Tour Premium
    I just use swift reflexes and finesse. I've only lost a couple of ribs from my fingerprints. I never claimed to be the most self-preserving tech, but I get 'er done. LOL. I do not recommend my technique to anyone.

That really is awesome about him supporting Vic owners with the clutch tool adapter. Great stuff. But it really is an unnecessary tool - three $3 c-clamps from Home Depot can easily compress a diaphragm spring and then you have three clamps to use for other stuff later -- not many things you can use a clutch tool and adapter that cost you $150+ other than changing another clutch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BrandonM7

BrandonM7 Active Member

2008 Vision Tour Premium
    This thing is already here - I may get to install it before I leave for vacation later this week, but probably not. It looks and feels good. It doesn't have the narrow swept-area plate that fits around the washer and judder spring like the Barnett and Vic clutch packs have. Not sure if the judder spring goes away or if I'm supposed to re-use that one special plate and keep the spring and washer. I have my Vic pack drying out on a towel right now (stored in an oil bucket in case it needed to go back in) so I can measure the pack heights to see how that looks. Also gonna shoot them an email to see what they say, just in case they left it out of my package - the friction plates and steels were packaged separately, so they might have just forgotten to include the separate special plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1