VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a victory dealer this weekend and was talking with the owner and it came up that the new engine in the cross country does not have to pull the clutch in to shift and I was wandering if any one else had an opinion on this

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

robbybintz said:
I was at a victory dealer this weekend and was talking with the owner and it came up that the new engine in the cross country does not have to pull the clutch in to shift and I was wandering if any one else had an opinion on this
I don't think the engine would have any affect on using a clutch or not as it's all about the tranny. I've missed the clutch on a couple up shifts and you could feel and hearthe roughness in the shift (2010 CR). I doubt that the tranny changes for 2011 would make it condusive for not clutching while shifting.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
robbybintz said:
Here's my opinion, the owner is about an fool and needs to leave the technical answers to someone who has some mechanical aptitude.

There's not a manual transmission made in ANY production motor vehicle that does not require a clutch to shift. Sure, you can speed shift most manuals but that's not within their design parameters and will not endear you to the factory warranty department.....

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
as with any tranny matching engine rpm to shift patern would make all the difference.
While your at it at the dealer have him give you a box full of shifter forks . Tell him if you don't need them you will bring them back no need to charge you for them!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Local dealer says he wishes the Vics were less reliable. They never get to work on them cause they don't break. I assured him I would be taxing mine in an effort to wear something out.......but shifting without the clutch ain't it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You can speed match/shift any modern manual transmission, which certainly helps when something happens like a broken clutch cable. You don't want to do it much, if at all, of course. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

·
Registered
395 Posts

robbybintz said:
Yep, he must be right, I guess Victory was an idiot for adding a clutch. Must be so they can over charge us for a needless item, and extra for you hydraulic clutchers. Just think if they removed the clutch it would save weight and we would get better gas millage. It must be that Victory is in this useless clutch thing with big oil also.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I believe that Kevinx commented on this very subject. He stated that the Vic trans doesn't have syncros and to go ahead and don't use the clutch if you want to damage the tranny in short order.

·
Registered
82 Posts
On a streetbike USE the clutch,On a dirtbike ,ONLY use the clutch to start and stop. Or go ahead and not use the clutch for a few thousand miles .When you change your oil,Have it anallized.Bet you will use your clutch for now on...Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Lots of truck drivers change without using the clutch and I have done it once or twice when driving a truck. Maybe having straight cut gears might help or hinder, but for my money and it would be my money if I wrecked my gearbox, why risk your tranny when the clutch is there to use.

·
Registered
36 Posts
aussiejack said:
Lots of truck drivers change without using the clutch and I have done it once or twice when driving a truck. Maybe having straight cut gears might help or hinder, but for my money and it would be my money if I wrecked my gearbox, why risk your tranny when the clutch is there to use.
yep do it all the time in a truck , but a bike no way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.