VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Have been to the drags twice now. 1st time out I was getting wheel spin with stock Dunlops and had to drop launch revs and pressure to compensate. Best E/T 12.44

2nd time out put some stickier Avons on a 31 tooth underdrive pulley. Now I had no problem with spinning tires, but no matter if I launched at 2500/3000/3500 revs, no matter if I slid the clutch or just threw the clutch, I would only get a 1.87-1.89 60ft. No hint of lifting the front wheel. Now though instead of the tire spinning the extra grip was making the clutch squeal ever so slightly.

Interestingly I consistently averaged 2-3mph faster speeds with the tire/underdrive combo, but only dropped E/T to 12.39. I suspect the clutch was not quite up to it. Not giving me the punch to smack that 60ft.

What can I do. Clutch mod? Lock up clutch? Can you use a lock up on the street safely.

Also slight diff topic. I have done about 20 passes on the oil should I change it, particularly if the clutch might have been slipping a bit?

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Excellent. What did he do?
@Half_Crazy Will chim in, but i remember a bit what he did

He has the
1. stock clutch basket
2. Maybe aftermarket clutch plates only
3. Rivera Primo Gold Comp spring (i do not know what type)
4. Oil drain washer behind the shifter arm
5. Heavy duty Lloydz Clutch cover plate

I think the stock clutch setup is good for 140 HP or so ... but as a sample i ride my Jackpot hard and never slipped but you can feel the difference between the CCT i had and that Jack-Hammer of mine

Soooooooo i am very interested in reading the outcome, what springs HC used, so i can copy-cat that for my Jackpot

·
Registered
23,463 Posts

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Lock up clutch? Can you use a lock up on the street safely?
A lock up clutch relies on rpm to lock. When you start making serious torque at low rpm, you need a stiffer spring anyway because it won't hold until it gets spinning.... and a stiffer spring alone is good to 150 HP.... so f**k it, get the spring and stop throwing money at it.

Also slight diff topic. I have done about 20 passes on the oil should I change it, particularly if the clutch might have been slipping a bit?
Yes, Clutch dust is abrasive as hell.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Don't know about the racing, but I've done the Barnett spring mod on a different bike, and it's noticeably stiffer, but not out of control. You'll build some new muscle.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
And don't forget an Indian clutch rack.
You'll need to grind off a little of the tip and I ground off the the nipple on the back, and it's stronger than the original. Best I recall a new unsealed bearing from an early cross bike was used.
Line item #16 for the rack.
part# 6230670
2014 Indian CHIEF CLASSIC/CHIEF VINTAGE/CHIEFTAIN ALL OPTIONS (N14CCC/CCV/TCA) Drive Train, Clutch All Options | Cheap Cycle Parts

The next thing may or may not be good for racing ,but an easy pull lever from Whitewall choppers made the pull feel like a small dirtbike.
victory whitewall shift | eBay

·
Registered
152 Posts
And don't forget an Indian clutch rack.
You'll need to grind off a little of the tip and I ground off the the nipple on the back, and it's stronger than the original. Best I recall a new unsealed bearing from an early cross bike was used.
Line item #16 for the rack.
part# 6230670
2014 Indian CHIEF CLASSIC/CHIEF VINTAGE/CHIEFTAIN ALL OPTIONS (N14CCC/CCV/TCA) Drive Train, Clutch All Options | Cheap Cycle Parts

The next thing may or may not be good for racing ,but an easy pull lever from Whitewall choppers made the pull feel like a small dirtbike.
victory whitewall shift | eBay
Primethious
Reviving an older post. What is needed to switch over to the Indian rack? Will the bearing for Indian #17 work with the Victory bearing housing? Installed the heavier Barnett spring and pressure plate 3 years ago on my CCT and now notice a rattle in neutral with clutch released. Opened primary hoping to find something and noticed rack is very sloppy in bearing. Any direction would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Banned
2,192 Posts
When I did the Indian Rake I did not change the bearing, but my bearing is starting to "squeal" so over the winter i will replace it. If yours is sloppy replace it when it is all apart, its cheap enough...why not.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Gear Automotive lighting
Circuit component Font Auto part Electronic component Metal
Font Art Auto part Circle Jewellery

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Primethious
Reviving an older post. What is needed to switch over to the Indian rack? Will the bearing for Indian #17 work with the Victory bearing housing? Installed the heavier Barnett spring and pressure plate 3 years ago on my CCT and now notice a rattle in neutral with clutch released. Opened primary hoping to find something and noticed rack is very sloppy in bearing. Any direction would be appreciated.
Thanks
I don't recall which bearing I got, but I believe it may have been an early XR bearing that wasn't sealed. My choice was made from what I read from the other guys here, and I'm sorry I don't recall more.
It's easy to do, but you will need to do some light bench grinding for a few minutes, and a good cleanup with brake cleaner before messing with the bearing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't recall which bearing I got, but I believe it may have been an early XR bearing that wasn't sealed. My choice was made from what I read from the other guys here, and I'm sorry I don't recall more.
It's easy to do, but you will need to do some light bench grinding for a few minutes, and a good cleanup with brake cleaner before messing with the bearing.
Thanks, Ordered the rack and bearing from an Indian. The Indian bearing is the same as the Vic (6201). Sad part is the Indian rack and bearing was $20 cheaper than the Vic rack alone. From the what I can tell the rack needs about 1/4" taken off the top.
The bearing is sealed but the seals can be popped off easily. I will post some pictures when they come in.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Thanks, Ordered the rack and bearing from an Indian. The Indian bearing is the same as the Vic (6201). Sad part is the Indian rack and bearing was $20 cheaper than the Vic rack alone. From the what I can tell the rack needs about 1/4" taken off the top.
The bearing is sealed but the seals can be popped off easily. I will post some pictures when they come in.
Take another close look at the pic that was posted and count the ribs. It'll guide you on how much to cut off. Getting a primary cover support plate is a good idea if you go with a heavy spring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.