VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So noticed on the ride home the clutch slipping in 4th gear when under load. Get home start looking around and find the the arm of the gearbox isn't returning to its home position. Once you release the clutch you can move the arm around 5-7mm back to the home position. There seems to be enough cable slack in the system so don't think that is the issue.
I'm on a 2011 Vegas 15xxxkms. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I would disconnect the cable on both ends and see if it slides freely inside the housing. Possibly it's fraid somewhere between here there.

Reactions: Flyboy

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
So noticed on the ride home the clutch slipping in 4th gear when under load. Get home start looking around and find the the arm of the gearbox isn't returning to its home position. Once you release the clutch you can move the arm around 5-7mm back to the home position. There seems to be enough cable slack in the system so don't think that is the issue.

Mine does the exact same thing and has for a very long time. TVS replaced my clutch cable last year and didn't say a thing about it. Thus I suspect it is a complete non-issue. I have close to 60k miles on my bike and no clutch problems to speak of. The only reason I replaced the cable is because I wanted to be ahead of the curve instead of waiting for the OEM cable to give me issues. In fact I had to convince Rylan to even replace the cable. He eventually succumbed and said something like, it's your money and we'll do it if you want but it really isn't needed.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts

My clutch arm is exactly like yours just as it should be. There is no return spring to pull the arm past the freeplay position. What kind of oil did you last put in it?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Have to agree, I changed oil only to find a clutch slippage problem (I had tried amsoil) changed to rotella t5 and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
that play at the end is normal

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My clutch arm is exactly like yours just as it should be. There is no return spring to pull the arm past the freeplay position. What kind of oil did you last put in it?
Ohh ok thats good at least. My last oil change was 5000kms ago and used a victory oil change kit.

only adjust clutch when its oven night cold.
Never warm or hot
Ok thanks for the info. I haven't adjusted the clutch at all yet, as the free play seems to be with in the manuals specs.

So this morning before work I checked the cable. it moves freely with in its sheath. I noticed the nyloc nut that secures the clutch lever was a little tight so backed that off a touch. I rode to work this morning and couldn't get the clutch to slip again. So I am hoping that the nyloc was just over tightened. But we'll see....

·
Registered
600 Posts
That exact thing happened to me at Laconia. The nylon nut on the clutch lever tightens itself and does not let the clutch return properly. I first noticed the clutch slipping also. I loosened the nut off about 2 years ago and all is fine.

Everybody please check your nuts.

• Haha
Reactions: Trout

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Ohh ok thats good at least. My last oil change was 5000kms ago and used a victory oil change kit.

Ok thanks for the info. I haven't adjusted the clutch at all yet, as the free play seems to be with in the manuals specs.

So this morning before work I checked the cable. it moves freely with in its sheath. I noticed the nyloc nut that secures the clutch lever was a little tight so backed that off a touch. I rode to work this morning and couldn't get the clutch to slip again. So I am hoping that the nyloc was just over tightened. But we'll see....
The clutch lever bolt has a shoulder that keeps it from sandwiching the lever in the bracket even if the nut was overtightened.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Lube all the pivot points yearly.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Remember....check your nuts and lube pivot points!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.