VOG Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lubing the clutch cable ends and re-adjusting the slack/tension once I was done. I seemed to have hit that magic spot on the clutch adjustment where the bike acts like it shifts smoother. Less clunk and the feel of two steps in the shift lever between each gear.
I don't know what I did, or how it happened, but the clutch cable slack seems to make a slight difference in shifting ease when it's adjusted properly.
I know, I know, this is probably the exact same setting to achieve in the owners manual for the gap in the lever to be adjusted properly.
Just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
No your right. I do the exact same. I lube then check adjustment. Over night cold of course. My last adjustment was perfect. Shifts great. It’s the slop in the shifter I’m dealing with next. I have the WD bushings but they had to be modified to fit. Think I took a little too much material from them. Maybe time for anew set

·
Premium Member
14,203 Posts
And if slack not adjusted right, your clutch will slip under load and more...it's NOT because of your OIL:rofl3:

·
Registered
820 Posts
And if slack not adjusted right, your clutch will slip under load and more...it's NOT because of your OIL:rofl3:
Now you did it. This is officially another oil thread. Ugh And you are right too as I speak from experience.

Reactions: IM12STPN

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
Oh it’s on now bitches.

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
Please tell me you guys are using Spectro Golden 4
20/40 semi synthetic.

• Angry
Reactions: IM12STPN

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I loosen the clutch cable completely to remove the cable stops from their respective homes (clutch level and pivot on engine). Then, I re-tighten until I get it just tight enough but with no drag on the clutch.

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
A simple "no" would have been better than a BIG RED X :aktion086:

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
Please tell me you guys are using Spectro Golden 4
20/40 semi synthetic.
You do know Lloyds and Conquest customs as well as KMC recommend it as well as the famed Victory oil don't you ?

·
Registered
967 Posts
One thing I'd like to know. I've been good at keeping my cable ends lubed up and I have a new Barnett cable which reduced the pull, but my clutch has a very aggressive pull. I've tried quite a few different Vic's and have yet to come across one that requires the effort mine does. I have to have an EZ Pull on mine due to my arthritis and it's never slipped, but I keep it properly adjusted. Mine is a 2010 and all the ones I've compared it to that have a lighter pull are 11' and up. Were there changes in the years after? My only other thought is being I bought the bike with 50K miles on it, is maybe the previous owner replace the OEM with an upgraded clutch. There were already some things in place such as a Lloydz air filter and a Lloydz VFC III fuel tuner on it. Makes me wonder if there's any internal mods like an adjustable timing wheel. One of my riding buddy's has a 14 CC with less than 15K on it and he can't come close to keeping up with me during a roll on. So I feel there's been something more than the air filter, tuner and Tri-Ovals, or is that enough to make that big of a difference. Like I said with 50K and now 74K the clutch is strong as ever. Just a ***** to pull!

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
I loosen the clutch cable completely to remove the cable stops from their respective homes (clutch level and pivot on engine). Then, I re-tighten until I get it just tight enough but with no drag on the clutch.
Taking a channel locks on the lever on the motor and twisting it clockwise just enough to pull the cable end out is much easier. Once I adjusted my cable where I wanted it I never had to adjust it again until I replaced it at 75k. New Barnett cable has not needed any readjustment in 23k. Original clutch still feels as good as new using full synthetic. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
Taking a channel locks on the lever on the motor and twisting it clockwise just enough to pull the cable end out is much easier. Once I adjusted my cable where I wanted it I never had to adjust it again until I replaced it at 75k. New Barnett cable has not needed any readjustment in 23k. Original clutch still feels as good as new using full synthetic. Knock on wood.
Which full synthetic are you using. Oh please tell.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Shell Rotella T-6 and a Wix 51356 filter. Here's something to keep you busy today slick. Is T-6 and many other brands truly synthetic or is it just highly refined enough to meet the industry standard to legally classify it as "synthetic"?

I don't feel like we're hijacking this thread since clutch adjustment / shift Quality entails many variables.

·
Premium Member
14,203 Posts
Just a note on my first contribution: I DID NOT mention OIL brand...my comment was about CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT..whew guys, lighten up :rofl3::rofl3: (coconut OIL, warmed, best for massages, tastes best AFTER...SHE said...I agreed :dance:)

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
Not at all are we hijacking ......... oil always trumps !
It is not a full/ true synthetic
Only a few oils make the claim of a group 4 or 5

All Motor oil‘s consist of a base oil and an additive package. The American petroleum Institute categorizes all base oil‘s into five groups. group 1to group 5. The first three groups 1,2 and three originate from petroleum crude oil. Of those ....group 1 is produced by solvent refining while Group 2 and 3 are produced by Hydro cracking and catalytic dewaxing. Group 3 is vastly superior to groups one and two. This will be the most used “synthetic” oil in the market place. You likely have a group 2 or 3 oil in Rotella. The price point of that oil may suggest group2.

Group 4 and 5 regarding MC oil will put you on the shelf where Redline and Spectro full synthetic may sit. Yep much more expensive but a much better quality oil. Truly full synthetic.

For our bikes as often as some of us change oil it would be up to the individual what he wanted to spend his money on. I like the Amsoil product especially for the price I was paying however ......../
My new go to oil is Spectro Golden 4 20/40 semi synthetic. Recommended to me by 3 of our very own Victory tuners.
No more guessing for me and the results have been good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.