VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's not chili either; it's blooming cold. Rode into work this morning with the thermometer showing 22F. :coldsmilie:

Maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age . . . :baby:

Anyone else ride in this global warming outbreak?

Reactions: ETrider

·
Registered
444 Posts
I rode into work yesterday morning (I'm off today) and the temp was 20 degrees most of the half-hour trip. Went home after my ten-hour shift and it was 29 degrees. I can't remember the last time it never got above freezing here! :coldsmilie:

I think you're just a little east of me, so you know what I'm talking about. I geared up well, so I wasn't too cold during the ride.

I do have to give a "shout out" to a new pair of socks a friend gave me for Christmas and my favorite motorcycle-specific base wear. These things are awesome and my feet and legs don't get cold anymore: :clap:

Men's Original Socks

Amazon.com: FREEZE-OUT Base Layer Long Johns - LG, Black: Automotive

I ride year round here, as winter's usually quite mild. But, in this part of the country, in winter, it's always a battle between the Gulf (of Mexico) and the Arctic. The Gulf usually wins...but not always.
:cold_md_wht:

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I will generally ride some in the 20's.. but currently here some days we aren't even getting into the freaking 20's.. I'm NOT riding in single digit crap no more. It's too hard on the bike.. and to be honest riding in the sub-freezing weather too much caused a problem with my bike... my ride to work isn't far enough (5 miles) to really let the bike cook off the condensation that ends up in the oil... and it rotted out my clutch basket and bearing. I'm sure if you're riding for a longer period of time you'd be ok.. but 2 years ago I rode every day almost and over the course of that winter it damaged my bike. Been riding bikes my whole life regardless of temps.. but I guess I've never worked so close to home before. I"m gonna guess that the oil coolers on these bikes are a bit too efficient when it gets really cold too.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
It finally warmed up to 20F today and I would love to get out for a ride but the roads are covered with snow and ice. The bike stays parked until I have a dry road to ride on.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Sorry I'm a Florida boy that's just to dang cold for me.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
LOVE riding BUT like golf...never played in long pants...doing either one I like comfy. That's why next month trailering where it's warm. NOTE: have had weird weather here and went to 50's...BUT won't ride on WHITE salt covered roads.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I rode the Gunner yesterday in the mid-20's. I hate to admit it, but a half hour was about all I could get before I had to stop at the coffeehouse and warm up. I need to figure out a solution for my hands and feet everything else was okay.

I run hippo hands on my KLR, so it's not an issue, but they won't work on the Gunner.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
It’s funny how you look back thru the years and go man how the hell did I use to ride all the way into December all those years when I was younger. As long as it hadn’t snowed and they hadn’t started throwing salt everywhere we would roll. And then my OL brought me back to reality and says probably because you were half drunk and on drugs most the time back then ! Hhmmmmm good point

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes. Closer to Tyler than Longview.

I just looked up your locale. For some reason, I was thinking you were closer to Shreveport...
When the weather clears up this spring, we need to meet in Bossier. There's a Saltgrass Steakhouse in sight of the Bass Pro Shop there, and they serve a very good meal. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
I ride in any temperature. Ice is the only thing that makes me use four wheels.
You missed your chance...no ice on road...partly sunny to

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
25-F this am when I left the house, thanks there was no rain.
this past week has been horrible.
I can do cold but wet & cold hurts.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
I hear that Trout. It cleared up here today so I rode into work. It was 42 but sunny. Supposed to go down into the 30's tonight may have to turn the heat on in the house. That is going to smell nice being that we haven't used it for over 5 years......

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.