VOG Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, just had a light bulb moment if there is a cool cheese wedge if doubles as an oil catch. I have seen the benefit of having a dedicated oil catch, which traps oil fumes and keeps the intakes clean.

But this is a seperate bottle/canister. Any machinist here willing to take on this challenge?

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I was thinking the same thing when i bought the solid aluminium cheese wedge, they could be blindflanged and than act as a oil catch can ....
But its a lot of work ... The key hole is also there

·
Registered
14 Posts
A catch can is usually used on a boosted application in a car. It ties in your intake and your blow by fumes filter through it and it collects the oil instead of having it go back through your intake

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Vics for the most part are normally aspirated engines, and they must not loose a lot of oil through blowback...at least my oil level never drops. Perhaps that happens once more miles are piled on so this may be useful with older engines?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In any modern engine, the crankcase is vented to prevent an air pressure increase due to the heat of the oil. This air sometimes is categorised as poisonous with a mix of blowby gases and crankcase oil fumes. By regulation, this air is required to be burned off. Therefore, the crank vent is routed back to intake. As this air isnt pure oxygen and plus its hot, does no good in terms of performance. The oil fume also makes fikter and airbox oily.

Looks lile i need to fab myself one.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
08 and earlier models need one NOT 09 and newer
I dont know mate, but my '13 jackpot had that short hose and Lloydz small filter on it and always when a full 3 day ride many full trottles and 200 km/h runs then the left side always have a small oil mist over the left side cover and swing arm

But the oil level never went down, so maybe it is just evaperation & hot oily air, coz it is so hot here where the OP and I live

I have these hollow aluminium block machined cheese wedges and if that hole of the key wasnt there it could be just perfect, if the right cheese wedge could be blinded off you would already have a sealed hollow block aluminium cheese wedge that can double for a oil catch can

I bought them from AliExpress, they were a bit pricy though ...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, i didnt loose litres of oil. but during my 8000km oil change, my existing oil catch can is cleaned and it probably accumulates about 200mls of oil.

I did the the biker choice gothic bracket for my coil holder.

thinking of getting the same and make a catch can with a filter for the right side.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
yeah, i didnt loose litres of oil. but during my 8000km oil change, my existing oil catch can is cleaned and it probably accumulates about 200mls of oil.

I did the the biker choice gothic bracket for my coil holder.

thinking of getting the same and make a catch can with a filter for the right side.
True .... See the cheese wedge i have, ONE hollow block of aluminium, so why not blindflange it off and make that in a oilcatchcan .....

When i bought & installed my oil catch can i just looked at it and thought .... Hmmmm the cheese wedge could do the same ....
Wheel Automotive tire Font Automotive lighting Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
752 Posts
Catch cans are a great idea - not sure how to make it work and look good on our bikes? I have one on my 2010 Ram Hemi - you wouldn't believe the amount of oily condensation it catches. Especially in winter. I changed out the throttle body for a larger one and a mechanic buddy of mine couldn't believe how clean my intake was! And truck had > 150,000 kms when I did the mod. I had one on my Nomad 1600 - that bike would foul the butterfly's big time if you ran it hard! Bike would start running rough - idle like crap, so pull cover, spray Seafoam onto butterflys, clean with small paint brush and all would be good again.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Catch cans are a great idea - not sure how to make it work and look good on our bikes? I have one on my 2010 Ram Hemi - you wouldn't believe the amount of oily condensation it catches. Especially in winter. I changed out the throttle body for a larger one and a mechanic buddy of mine couldn't believe how clean my intake was! And truck had > 150,000 kms when I did the mod. I had one on my Nomad 1600 - that bike would foul the butterfly's big time if you ran it hard! Bike would start running rough - idle like crap, so pull cover, spray Seafoam onto butterflys, clean with small paint brush and all would be good again.
Does this looks good or bad to you? Honest question ...

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Light

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1st i did a mini tube bent and route to a canister to the rear passenger peg mount. Lessilon learnt, the tube was too small.

2nd i did this

3rd i upgraded my coils which also blocked the tubes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.