VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so just curious what is the correct way to check oil level do you guys stand it up straight and check it because if so that sucks trying to stand up a beast and check the level or do you leave it on the kickstand and check it

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
The proper way according to the book is with the bike upright.

Honestly I don't check my oil except after a fresh change. After each change its checked but then I don't see the oil again until I drain it.

Some place the side stand on a 2x4 to check it but I just loosen it before lifting the bike and find it easy enough.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I park in a chock so she's always up. That also allows quicker / accurate gas gauge read and proper starting for initial oil circulation. It's also nice for the added room in my sled shed.

But pre chock I just measured upright once, took level of stick, then put on side and remeasured and took note on stick so then I knew actual level while on stand. The HF 1800# chock is worth it. $59.00.

·
Registered
128 Posts
so just curious what is the correct way to check oil level do you guys stand it up straight and check it because if so that sucks trying to stand up a beast and check the level or do you leave it on the kickstand and check it
As others have said. Upright according to the manual. I just bought a vision and treat it like my other vehicles. The oil gets checked every Sunday no matter what. It's a good idea to make a mark on the dipstick while the bike is on the kickstand. As others have said.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Bike on side stand.,

Remove the dipstick.

Wipe clean the dipstick.

Screw in the dipstick.

Raise the bike to the vertical position for a second (don't let is shake).

Lean bike back on side stand.

Remove the dipstick and there is your oil level.

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
you do not need oil on full market. 1/4 less then full is perfect.
If you want afeter oil change and you know its right on. Leave on side stand and drill a small hole on the oil level line. One other trick is instead of screwing dipstick in. Set it in hole and pull out the oil should be at the add mark thats the same as screwing stick in and out

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I use the best oil so I never have to check it!

• Haha
Reactions: Okie with a Vision

·
Registered
46 Posts
Like others, I checked my oil after a fresh oil change when it was upright and made sure it was at the right level and screwed the dipstick back in. Put it back on the side stand, pulled the dipstick, wiped and screwed it back in. Pulled it one more time and made a new notch on the dipstick with a knife where the full mark is when the bike is on the side stand. Now I just check it on the side stand and look for my notch. Right or wrong, It made it easy for me to check it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Bike on side stand.,
Remove the dipstick.
Wipe clean the dipstick.
Screw in the dipstick.
Raise the bike to the vertical position for a second (don't let is shake).
Lean bike back on side stand.
Remove the dipstick and there is your oil level.
This is exactly the way I have done it since owning the KP

·
Registered
232 Posts
OK. here I go,,, gonna remove all doubt. this Dumba$$ Okie is wondering what is meant by 100% Canola? seen it a few time on tag lines here.

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
  • Haha

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
I just sit on the bike holding it straight up and reach down to unscrew the dipstick and check. If it's a hair overfull lean slightly to the left and check again if a hair under the full mark lean slightly to the right. lol

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
OK. here I go,,, gonna remove all doubt. this Dumba$$ Okie is wondering what is meant by 100% Canola? seen it a few time on tag lines here.
See my sig. Nuttin' but THE BEST for my scoot!

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Reactions: md2420
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.