VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I just got back from Tennessee. So far in the past year I have completed the following
Dragons tail
Cherohala Skyway
Around deadwood/Sturgis area
Beartooth Pass
Going to the sun road

I would have to say for view points the Beartooth Pass was my favorite. For the fun factor the dragons tail.

Just wondering what’s your favorite in the lower 48?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Glacier NP "Going to the Sun Road" is a favorite of mine here in the PNW. Others I'll ride every other year or so include Chinook Pass, Sunrise Road, and Windy Ridge Road.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Beartooth Pass
Chief Joseph Highway
Going to the sun

I hit those up back in 2015 and haven't had a chance to escape for 10 straight days on the bike since. I'm in my mid-40's now and would like to think I have time to hit up all of the roads I continue to add to my bucket list. My next trip will either be a week of random roads in CO or a trip out to West to visit the red woods. Based on the ever escalating fire seasons, I'm thinking I should visit the red woods while they still stand.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
View attachment 488137

Hwy 212 in WY is the Beartooth Highway. It climbs to over 11,000 ft and zig-zags so much you can't drink in the scenery for keeping your eyes on the road ahead, lest you go overboard. Hwy 212 meets with Hwy 296 (Chief Joseph Scenic Byway) which I find much more scenic and pleasant to ride. No white knuckle riding. Nice sweepers and you can take in the scenery. Here's a shot I took at a viewpoint looking back (north) on the Chief Joseph.

View attachment 488139

WhereHwy 296 meets Hwy 120, riding south takes you to Cody, WY, a biker friendly town. The Buffalo Bill Center of the West museum is their premier location to spend at least 2 days walking through. One day alone for the firearms portion (it's absolutely huge!) and another for the rest on display.

How did I suddenly become a travel agent?

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Based on the ever escalating fire seasons, I'm thinking I should visit the red woods while they still stand.
The Redwoods. Fantastic! Ride the 'Avenue of the Giants' within the forest. Those trees must be 2000 years old.

·
Registered
146 Posts
#1 Million Dollar Highway, Ouray CO to Durango, CO.

Ridden Bear Tooth, Going to the Sun, Rocky Mountain Park, Sturgis area, etc. but Million Dollar is still my favorite. Need to get out to the Redwoods...haven't seen them yet, but definitely plan to.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Not sure if all mine qualify as "Bucket listers" but these are some of the best rides I have done so far.

1. Trail Ridge Road RMNP.
2. US1 Miami FL to Key West FL
3. Great River Road MO to MN
4. Colorado national Monument
5. Black Canyon of the Gunnison
6. Lake Michigan Circle Tour

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I have to agree with all that’s mentioned above I’ve ridden everyone of them and I think they should all be rode at some time or another if the circumstances work for you. Independence pass another nice ride. Believe it or not there’s some beautiful riding across Connecticut New Hampshire the coastline of Maine and of course the PCH.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
One of my favorites was the all - Highway 191 ride from the Mexico border to Yellow Stone N.P.
Scenic road with 100's of curves that includes the Coronado Trail, Moab, UT, Flaming Gorge and Yellow Stone.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I never had a bucket list, it was a todo list each year.
Now one ride has gone to a bucket list. Not in the lower 48 but my todo this year was to ride to Tuktoyaktuk, NWT on the Arctic Ocean coast. Had been planning to go for the past 3 years and would have started the trip last Friday but had to cancel the trip. :frown:
The Dempster Highway is my favorite and I'm hoping I can find a way to go to Tuk next year.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
For a short, fun ride, US16A, south of Mt. Rushmore in SD, longer ride for beauty and fun, is CO141 from just south of Grand Junction, to Dove Creek, CO.

I don't have a 'bucket list' anymore, however there are plenty more roads to ride, and places to see.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
@Daddio i came down out of the flaming gorge that way and ran thru gateway co into Naturita then cut across into Utah then North to Moab nice riding. I'm leaving Thursday for Ny then to SD WY and MT. Back home for 2 weeks off to Tahoe and down to Brice, Zion and Moab on my way back to chi town. Long winter can't wait to get the hell out of here !

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
... but my todo this year was to ride to Tuktoyaktuk, NWT on the Arctic Ocean coast. Had been planning to go for the past 3 years and would have started the trip last Friday but had to cancel the trip. :frown:
Hi Rollin. It goes without saying that you'll be contacting the NWT Gov't before departing to get the latest scoop on the condition of the highway. I'm guessing July/August will be the driest time but I have no idea. I just live in Alberta and likely will never get up there. I wish you well on your travels whenever you decide to challenge that road. Please give us the heads up when you're leaving.

Despite spring closures, N.W.T. government stands behind Inuvik-Tuktoyaktuk Highway | CBC News

Reactions: Rollin

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Hi Rollin. It goes without saying that you'll be contacting the NWT Gov't before departing to get the latest scoop on the condition of the highway. I'm guessing July/August will be the driest time but I have no idea. I just live in Alberta and likely will never get up there. I wish you well on your travels whenever you decide to challenge that road. Please give us the heads up when you're leaving.

Despite spring closures, N.W.T. government stands behind Inuvik-Tuktoyaktuk Highway | CBC News
With the new road open a lot of riders have tried to ride to Tuktoyaktuk. The road reopened on 6/1 and the first two riders made it to Tuk 6/2. They had good conditions but others weren't as lucky, there have been a lot of crashes with broken bones. Broken arms, ribs, collar bone and a broken leg.
Some have had to turn back and many others did make it to Tuk. Can't wait to try it!!

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Sucker for punishment!

·
Registered
78 Posts
This last weekend I had some time to kill heading back from Cheyenne to Abq, so I rode through Rocky Mountain National Park, fun ride but lots of traffic, then hit up Mt Evans. What a fun ride! Had the road pretty much to myself, lots of hairpin curves and great scenery. Highly recommend if anyone is in the area. Only took a couple hours to go up, enjoy the view, and come back down to I70.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just finished 6600 miles from Charlotte NC- Mt Rushmore-Yellow Stone- Bear tooth- grand canyon- and back to Charlotte on my 2013 Cross Country. She averaged about 42mph and rode like a champ. I must say I didnt enjoy the snow coming out of Yellow Stone on June 1st....ha ha. The people passing me in the opposite direction were flashing their headlights and I am pretty sure calling me an idiot. But hey I had to be in Red Lodge that afternoon to meet my daughter. It was a little white knuckle over the mountain pass and back to Cody but I survived. My kids think I am crazy but they laugh. I will say this, not ever being out west I had no idea the wind never stops blowing....lol I think I road leaning over from Arizona all the way back until I reached Hot Springs, AR. 4 Week vacation over, now time to get my butt back to work in the hot sun.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I just finished 6600 miles from Charlotte NC- Mt Rushmore-Yellow Stone- Bear tooth- grand canyon- and back to Charlotte on my 2013 Cross Country. She averaged about 42mph and rode like a champ. I must say I didnt enjoy the snow coming out of Yellow Stone on June 1st....ha ha. The people passing me in the opposite direction were flashing their headlights and I am pretty sure calling me an idiot. But hey I had to be in Red Lodge that afternoon to meet my daughter. It was a little white knuckle over the mountain pass and back to Cody but I survived. My kids think I am crazy but they laugh. I will say this, not ever being out west I had no idea the wind never stops blowing....lol I think I road leaning over from Arizona all the way back until I reached Hot Springs, AR. 4 Week vacation over, now time to get my butt back to work in the hot sun.
I would like to see pics of that Bearthooth crossing, there had to be a ton of snow up there yet!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Actually Bear Tooth was clear, all be it the snow was piled 15-20ft high on side of road in some places. The snow was when I left Yellow Stone going over mtn leaving the North East entrance. The morning started out with light rain, but by the time I made it half way up the mountain going toward the exit, it changed over to snow. Didnt change back to rain until half way down the other side. My butt was puckered for sure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.