VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CEL is illuminated. Engine sounds fine. No codes appear in the MF Display. Tried using the toggle to cycle thru the readouts, still no "Er", or digits displayed. Bike is now at 194 miles, have been varying throttle at no more than 1/3 position first 90 miles, then no more than 1/2 position for the next 104 miles. It is wicked hot here today. Is it just the heat causing bike to run hot and throw CE Light?
Filled up today with 91 octane as directed.
Suggestions?

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
You need to get the code. Once you turn the key off it clears. When the light is on, hit the kill switch and check the code before you turn the key off.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to get the code. Once you turn the key off it clears. When the light is on, hit the kill switch and check the code before you turn the key off.
I understand needing the code. But my point is none are displayed. As I understand the process, once the CE Light is illuminated do NOT turn off the bike by the key, use the Kill Switch, then the Toggle Switch to cycle thru the MF Display. If that is the correct process, then I am doing it right and still no "Er", codes, numbers, nothing.
Read another post where IAT & O2 gets thrown on various new Vic's.
Will let the bike cool down, check it again in the morning.
Noticed the oil is right at the lower index (add one quart) line with bike upright. Will also check battery cables with a wrench.
Once resolved, I will share the solution.

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
to get oil reading you Screw dipstick in then Out for reading.
Its way out of the norm for a vic to use oil
put 1/4 inch size lock washers on each battery bolt it will eliminate having to check

·
Super Moderator
26,095 Posts
Do like you plan and check the battery cables, with a tool, not your hand.

95F ain't nothing for a Vic. I ride all year no matter the temps and have been in traffic on 100F+ days with no issue.

Reactions: quack4du

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
to get oil reading you Screw dipstick in then Out for reading.
Its way out of the norm for a vic to use oil
put 1/4 inch size lock washers on each battery bolt it will eliminate having to check
My previous bike (VTX1800N) was notorious for loose battery cables. Yes to lockwashers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Do like you plan and check the battery cables, with a tool, not your hand.

95F ain't nothing for a Vic. I ride all year no matter the temps and have been in traffic on 100F+ days with no issue.
Just thinking out loud about how lean (hot) they run in OEM config with no mods or fuel manager to rich them up (cooler heads). My guess is O2 sensor may be faulty. Just odd for <200 mile bike to start acting up with CE Light and no codes on MF Display.
Ain't my first riddle. Been solving riddles on commercial aircraft for 3 decades.

·
Super Moderator
26,095 Posts
Just thinking out loud about how lean (hot) they run in OEM config with no mods or fuel manager to rich them up (cooler heads). .y guess is O2 sensor may be faulty. Just odd for <200 mile bike to start acting up with CE Light and no codes on MF Display.
Ain't my first riddle. Been solving riddles on commercial aircraft for 3 decades.
My bike stayed stock the first few years I had it. I only fairly recently added a tuner.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My bike stayed stock the first few years I had it. I only fairly recently added a tuner.
That's kinda my plan, keeping it unmolested. Been on the illusive hunt for more HP/Torque on previous scooter. Slowing down, enjoying the scenery more, and just dont care about who has more speed, better sound, yada, yada, yada.
This Vision will get me 10 years, that's 65, and if it doesn't kill me I'll park it and have great memories.
This Board is better than others.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ran across this.
Screenshot from post in Tech section.
Someone in the know claims '16/'17 Vic's use different O2 sensors than previous years. If so, then a trip to the dealer for confirmation and clearing ECM is apparently in my future.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
They definitely have different O2 sensors. Wiring to the sensors are different also. Mine were deleted almost immediately after I got it.

·
Super Moderator
26,095 Posts
That's kinda my plan, keeping it unmolested. Been on the illusive hunt for more HP/Torque on previous scooter. Slowing down, enjoying the scenery more, and just dont care about who has more speed, better sound, yada, yada, yada.
This Vision will get me 10 years, that's 65, and if it doesn't kill me I'll park it and have great memories.
This Board is better than others.
Being I don't make a ton of money I had to go slow and bargain shop.

Stage 1 pipes gently used possibly moded - $100
Filters - regular price but not bad.
PCV - $350 and it came with a AutoTune too.
Timing wheel - bought here cheap from a member down under.

The tuner really made a difference. I've never been power hungry but there is no denying I like it.

One day I'll get cams on my 13 to match my 08 because I swear the 08 already has them but the previous owner didn't know. I'm the third owner and the guy I got it from didn't know nothing about it. It just spins up quicker and is much faster and pulls like crazy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Jeez-O-Pete!!!!!!!
I may have gotten a great deal on the new Vic. But lets say someone's idea of a Pre-Delivery Inspect is seriously lacking. Positive Terminal was finger loose. Negative Terminal I got a good 3/4 turn on with minimal torque. Frustrating to have tripped a CEL for loose terminals - if that proves the cause.
And it was a full quart low on oil.:wall:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Check your tire pressures too. My brand new bike came with 23 PSI in the rear of a 2016 Hammer. So much for dealer prep.
Did that yesterday prior to riding F38/R40.
Never would have thought either A) New engine burned 1 full quart in <200 miles; or B) Dealer did not add 4 1/2 quarts at assembly from crate.

·
Super Moderator
26,095 Posts
Did that yesterday prior to riding F38/R40.
Never would have thought either A) New engine burned 1 full quart in <200 miles; or B) Dealer did not add 4 1/2 quarts at assembly from crate.
I'm going with B.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"Jack, I'd like to go off-the-board for $500!"
C: Bonus points for did they even use quality semi-synthetic, or just cheap bulk JASO/MA crap?
C: Difintely C....:chair1:

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I’d be asking for a refund of my “dealer prep fee”!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later