VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if it was just something I had just never noticed but the other day I left the house at 4 in the morning to do a trip and just happened to look down at my guages as I started off from a stop and seen that my voltage guage was still sitting at just over 12 volts, after I got going pretty good it shot up to just over 14 volts for the next few days of riding I noticed this happening. Does the battery via the regular call on or determine what the regulator should show as charging low medium or max 14 ? Is this something that has been going on since new and I just never noticed and its normal?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
1rst thing I would do is put a wrench on the batt terminals.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trout I will be servicing the battery connections but I'm still wanting to know if it's normal how it's acting.
1rst thing I would do is put a wrench on the batt terminals.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Trout I will be servicing the battery connections but I'm still wanting to know if it's normal how it's acting.
No, it isn't normal. After checking the connections, you may want to check the voltage going to and from the regulator.

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
so do you have running lights or a amp. My vision with the hid light on and sitting at stop light gauge will read 12.5 give it some gas and it jumps up to 14.2 v
maybe have your battery load tested. Add 1/4 inch lock washers to your battery bolts

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
so do you have running lights or a amp. My vision with the hid light on and sitting at stop light gauge will read 12.5 give it some gas and it jumps up to 14.2 v
maybe have your battery load tested. Add 1/4 inch lock washers to your battery bolts
Star washers are a better option

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vision_nut I have nothing added on, the only other thing I did different was put the tour pak on and plug into the harness, didn't add running lites or change the headlite type.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
My XCT almost immediately up on starting jumps up to round 14 volts and that is to my knowledge is where it stays..... I do have a habit (good bad or silly) of checking over my dash whilst i ride as if nothing else it takes a little of the boredom away when on straight runs. I have never noticed or been aware of it ever changing.....

Reactions: wickman

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update on my 2016 Cross Country Tour, I checked the cables and the ground was loose enough that I could move it, I tightened both the ground and positive and get the same results. I also checked voltage at battery via the battery tender tether and it matches the guage. How do I check voltage going into and out of regulator as was suggested? Can this in any way have anything to do withthe battery relay?

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
Try cleaning the terminals and the post with a wire brush then reinstall. The star washers are a good bet. Since your removing the cables to do the cleaning why not take the battery to a shop/ auto parts outlet and have it load tested.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try cleaning the terminals and the post with a wire brush then reinstall. The star washers are a good bet. Since your removing the cables to do the cleaning why not take the battery to a shop/ auto parts outlet and have it load tested.
I did wipe the posts but didn't pull the battery, tomorrow I will pull the battery and clean the posts and get it load tested. Where else could be a suspect for connections?

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
At the starter. I actually found my pos lead loose there. Follow the ground and check it also.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok pulled the battery and put it on the regular 2 amp charger for the nite, pulled the seal back on the battery, shouldn't there be battery acid in there??? Checked voltage before putting it on charger and showed 12.47 volts across the posts.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At the starter. I actually found my pos lead loose there. Follow the ground and check it also.
I will check that. Starter is right behind the battery correct?Sorry really just learning about this bike.

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
Yes. And there should be battery fluid in the cells.
How old is the battery ?

·
Registered
203 Posts
The battery is a one time fill from new so no top up required.

Check the battery voltage with the engine running at its terminals you should see over 14 volts , if not there is a connector under the engine from the stator to the regulator that can get corroded pull it apart and check it with the engine off.

If the volts are below 14 on the battery terminals then its looking like the regulator is on the way out.

Check the connections to the 40amp breaker the thing with the red cover near the battery this feeds most of the bike electrics.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok had to pull the lower off to get to all the wiring, snugged them all up , all seemed good. Load tested the battery and it was good. Power Commander showed throttle set to 0. Started up and still the same , getting just over 12 volts at all the electrical points , except for the starter of course. Any more suggestions before I start shopping for a Regulator? Thanks Guys

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
@wickman Where are you in the GWN?

First some basics.
What electrical add-ons do you have?
With a meter attached to the battery, what does the voltage drop to when you hit the start button?

Reactions: wickman
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.