VOG Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some input. I ordered a Lloydz tuner and timing wheel through my local Polaris shop. I have been reading a number of postings on here and learning more about my bike which has been both fun and educational.
My question is should I get a new air filter installed before I get it tuned or is the stock air filter ok to leave in. If you could leave an explanation or at least short reason I'd really appreciate it.
The shop isn't suggesting changing out the filter but it seems as if a lot of guys on here do.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Buy and install the Lloydz filter before you tune it. These V-twins are big air-pumps, more air in=more power out. The Lloydz filter passes something like 30% more air, huge difference, just be sure you add FUEL.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
So is this going to cause a lower MPG average?
Not necessarily. It will be running more efficiently so you may see an increase in mpg assuming it's tuned well.

Did you also change out the mufflers to something more free flowing. You will need to do that to see the full benefit of the tune, timing wheel, and air filter mods. Another option is to modify them yourself or have someone else do it.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not necessarily. It will be running more efficiently so you may see an increase in mpg assuming it's tuned well.

Did you also change out the mufflers to something more free flowing. You will need to do that to see the full benefit of the tune, timing wheel, and air filter mods. Another option is to modify them yourself or have someone else do it.
Yes. I started out by putting on RPW slip on's. I was told I should do the tuner and timing wheel. They are on order.
I'm also considering some ape hangers down the road. Gotta pace myself so I don't have to put anything on a card.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The only tools you need to change the air filter yourself is a 6mm allen and a 10mm wrench. Socket versions with a ratchet make it easier. Get the Loydz filter and if you haven't bought the Power Commander or timing wheel yet I would look into the Maximus tuner.

I have Freedom Performance true duals, Loydz Intake, timing wheel, a power commander, and a dyno tune. My bike is still getting 40+ mpg and runsa lot stronger than it did stock.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm looking for some input. I ordered a Lloydz tuner and timing wheel through my local Polaris shop. I have been reading a number of postings on here and learning more about my bike which has been both fun and educational.
My question is should I get a new air filter installed before I get it tuned or is the stock air filter ok to leave in. If you could leave an explanation or at least short reason I'd really appreciate it.
The shop isn't suggesting changing out the filter but it seems as if a lot of guys on here do.

Thanks in advance.
When you say stock filter do you mean the paper filter or the Vic Hi-Output filter? If truly stock, change it. If you have the HO filter, IMHO its not worth the $140. I recently switched to the Lloyds and there is no noticeable difference.

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
When you say stock filter do you mean the paper filter or the Vic Hi-Output filter? If truly stock, change it. If you have the HO filter, IMHO its not worth the $140. I recently switched to the Lloyds and there is no noticeable difference.
On a bike that is still stock there will be no noticeable difference compared to the Victory HP filter. On a cammed and Dyno tuned bike with performance exhaust it is a must to see a difference.

Reactions: 13SicVic

·
Registered
12,831 Posts

Thanks in advance.
When you say Lloydz tuner do you mean VFC3 ?
Which tuner ?

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
I have been down this road three times. Twice with Cross Country’s.
New Filter (Lloyd’s) + New Timing Wheel, + Power Commander 5, + Ragin Cajun pipes=New Bike.

·
Registered
359 Posts
fwiw i have the timing wheel, lloyds high flow air filter, triovals, and the lloyds fuel tuner. i run 43 mpg running 80-85mpg from colorado to nm.
i say go for it. good quality products...by good people.

Reactions: 13SicVic

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the input gentlemen. I sprung for the Lloydz air filter as well. Hoping to have everything done by next week. Looking forward to seeing how the performance improves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.