VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m just curious about this stuff and if it works and lasts as long as they say it does. Has anyone here had their paint ceramic coated on their bike, car, or truck? If so, what are your thoughts on it? Is it worth what they charge for it? Seems to be pretty expensive!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I'm just curious about this stuff and if it works and lasts as long as they say it does. Has anyone here had their paint ceramic coated on their bike, car, or truck? If so, what are your thoughts on it? Is it worth what they charge for it? Seems to be pretty expensive!
I know guys that use it, it's extremely expensive but makes cleaning easier... To them well worth it...

Makes the bike shine

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're better off getting the car detailed then using one of the many high quality tech waxes available.

The ceramic thing is just another in a long line of scams. Years ago it was all about the Teflon coatings. Now it's ceramic.

Notice they say the paint must be prepped and flawless before applying the ceramic coating? Also notice they say it might need a booster coating in a year. Guess what? All the good synthetic waxes will last a year with the right prep work done.

I've heard of people paying $3k to get what they call a "paint correction" and ceramic wax applied.

A nice $100 detail job will buff out your paint and clean the inside of the car/truck real well. For another $25-$50 you can get it clay bar'd then you can apply the synthetic wax because at that point it's a walk in the park to apply and buff off with a micro fiber towel by hand. You could do the entire truck or large car in 30-40 minutes.

Like anything; all the hard manual work is in the prep.

If you really want to use a "Ceramic Wax" you can but you don't have to pay $3k for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Protectant-A...13074&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=ceramic wax&psc=1

Apparently this stuff has gotten real popular because it went up $10 in price recently.
Most of the ones I've seen that the detailers are using say the ceramic coatings will last 3+ years. If it lasts that long and makes cleaning as easy as they say, I could see it being worth a premium price. Like I said in the other thread, I'm only considering it because of the black paint. Black shows everything. My main goal it to seal the paint with something that will protect it. Something hard that won't get swirl marks etc. paint prep on a brand new vehicle shouldn't be that extensive.

Just curious if ceramic coatings do all this and last the 3+ years they are claiming. If not, I'll probably go with the route you described above (copied from the other thread)

·
Registered
375 Posts
I only know ceramic coatings if wear is to be minimized. It is used a lot in tool making. I doubt whether our motorcycle parts are suitable for this coating. PVD coating is done at 200-500 ° C and CVD at 1000° C. If you want to coat something do it with powder but keep in mind that it depends on the pre-treatment. The first layer should be a passivation, then the coating lasts very long up to 1000 hours in the salt spray fog test.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only know ceramic coatings if wear is to be minimized. It is used a lot in tool making. I doubt whether our motorcycle parts are suitable for this coating. PVD coating is done at 200-500 ° C and CVD at 1000° C. If you want to coat something do it with powder but keep in mind that it depends on the pre-treatment. The first layer should be a passivation, then the coating lasts very long up to 1000 hours in the salt spray fog test.
Not that kind of ceramic coating. I was referring to a ceramic paint protectant. Check out the video below. Fast forward to the 5:30 mark.

Reactions: 2008Jackpot

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More info for anyone interested.

These are the two main reasons I'm interested in this. Ease of cleaning, and no swirl marks in the paint.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm just curious about this stuff and if it works and lasts as long as they say it does. Has anyone here had their paint ceramic coated on their bike, car, or truck? If so, what are your thoughts on it? Is it worth what they charge for it? Seems to be pretty expensive!
You must be referring to this stuff. I been considering it. Yeah, black is hard to keep the swirl marks from showing up. Other colors get away with it. Black, when clean, is very nice, specially after just being waxed.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You must be referring to this stuff. I been considering it. Yeah, black is hard to keep the swirl marks from showing up. Other colors get away with it. Black, when clean, is very nice, specially after just being waxed.
Looks like the same stuff. It is not a single application tho. Everything I've seen says it lasts 3-5 years and requires periodic refresh or reapplication to maintain it.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Swirl marks? Sean- you have enough metal flake in your paint to deflect photon torpedoes.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Swirl marks? Sean- you have enough metal flake in your paint to deflect photon torpedoes.
I was looking at it mainly for my truck, but if it makes the Magnum easier to clean... might have to coat the wheels on the Magnum if nothing else! Would be nice to have all of the brake and belt dust on the rear wheel rinse off with a hose!

Reactions: JudgeRedd

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
View attachment 509179 Love it. Actually my Victory is my first vehicle i've Ever had it done to. My buddy and I accidentally ended up on a rain ride. After it was done I just took a chamois to it and it was clean! Super impressed with it myself.
Did you coat it yourself or have a detailing shop do the paint correction and coat it? If it was a detail shop, do you remember how much they charged (ballpark)?

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I called and scheduled an appointment to get my truck ceramic coated. I also spoke to him about doing the bikes next. He said he normally charges around $250 to prep and ceramic coat a bike. Could be a little more. Depends on condition and what needs to be done. Price includes preparing and coating the paint, chrome, wheels, and everything. If my truck turns out half as good as I think it will, the bikes will definitely be next!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Personally, if it cost that much to do a bike, I wouldn't do it.
I bought a bottle of that stuff I posted. Will update how it goes.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Personally, if it cost that much to do a bike, I wouldn't do it.
I bought a bottle of that stuff I posted. Will update how it goes.
The prep is a large part of what you are paying for. It makes a huge improvement over just coating it, but it is labor intensive. All paint, chrome, windscreen, etc is prep'd and coated for that price.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dropped the wife's range rover sport off to get done last night, should have it back Wednesday depending on temps and weather.
Post up some pictures and what you think about it when you get it back.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Post up some pictures and what you think about it when you get it back.
Certainly. It's a dark metallic blue, similar to your Connie but maybe a bit darker. Should be a good example case for dark colors and swirls. I wish I could have gotten good before pics but I completely spaced on doing that.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just dropped my truck off tonight. I’ll be picking it up this weekend due to my work schedule.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.