VOG Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone closed off the hole under the seat in the fender?
with all the road construction around here, the back of the bike is allways filthy. you can see right where it "squirts" out under the seat. and go through any water it's bad.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
a few people have closed it off. Myself if I wanted a clean bike I'd leave it in the garage. If I choose to ride it, i'll have to wash it from time to time.

6 months and 12,500 miles later my bike has been dirty more than it's been clean doesn't bother me in the least.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Figured that was coming. I put 100,000 on my old wing and it was still shining when it was sold. It was only grimy on the long haul.

I prefer a clean, well ridden bike; I don't need to show that I ride, not to mention I might get dirt on my tie going to work.

The thing is... did anyone do it and is it worth doing?

·
Registered
26 Posts
wiccrider said:
Has anyone closed off the hole under the seat in the fender?
with all the road construction around here, the back of the bike is allways filthy. you can see right where it "squirts" out under the seat. and go through any water it's bad.
I know what you're talking about. I ride every day and I like to ride a clean bike. Some of us have taken pieces of foam pipe insulation and filled in the gaps that are under the seat (the gaps around the edges of the fender. I also took some of that same insulation and cut some small donuts and put it around the saddlebag supports next to the fender. This stops a lot of the dust but not all. Any little bit helps. I'd rather ride my bike than constantly have to clean it. With these few pieces of insulation I can get away with just dusting it once a week.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just 2 days ago I purchased large vinyl mud flaps for a truck.(Autozone, about $20.00 for the pair). I used 1 flap and cut it out to fit the inner rear fender well, the part of the bracket that goes up behind the tire in front of the inner taillight housing. Maybe it will keep some of the road grime off that part of the fender. Then used a portion to extend down as a mud flap. 8" wide, 9" inches long. Attached with plastic electrical ties in existing holes. Used a portion about 2" wide, about 9" inches long. But that is 3 1/4" wide buy about 2" long that is flexed and fits into the seat hole in the frame. Kind of "T" shaped. The front end is pushed under the metal fender strap the runs across the frame, a couple dabs of JB weld hold it down on the frame. Hopefully this will deflect some of the road grime down, it doesn't interfere with putting the seat on. Hope this is clear to everyone. No I didn't take any pictures. Sorry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.