VOG Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I've had the stage 1 exhaust on now for about 1500 miles and the sound isn't working. I stopped by Victory of Southern Maryland today and they are modifying the stock exhaust and it sounds pretty darn good...much better than Stage 1. The mod doesn't require the download.
Ordered a set...$399+ trading inmy stock. Wish I hadn't wasted my money on the stage 1. They have it recorded at:

Anyone else disappointed?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
jp4bama said:
OK...I've had the stage 1 exhaust on now for about 1500 miles and the sound isn't working. I stopped by Victory of Southern Maryland today and they are modifying the stock exhaust and it sounds pretty darn good...much better than Stage 1. The mod doesn't require the download.
Ordered a set...$399+ trading inmy stock. Wish I hadn't wasted my money on the stage 1. They have it recorded at
Anyone else disappointed?
why wouldn't you just get the 2.25 'atom bombs' for 200+shipping yourself? a lot louder than the stage 1 and similar in sound to what you're getting?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
We have 9 Cross bikes in our LC and one of them is a professional welder. Were gonna do some experimenting on a couple of the stock take off's. I'll let you know what we come up with.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

ZZ,
My dealer had a guy cut the stock exhaust, gutted it and added a baffle, but he said the sound was flat...haven't heard it myself, but the guy wanted $500 for the pipes.
From what I understand, you can cut out current baffle, but you needenough baffle for back pressureto prevent backfiring and supposedly the So. Md. dealer has it licked. .
It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
471 Posts

Well, opening the exhaust as I described does makes the exhaust noticeable but not really loud. It does make the engine smoother and the power increase is detectable. No need for an a/filter change or Stage I download either.
RR

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Put them on this afternoon and they sound great!
Based on its appearence...They cut off the end that holds the end cap, knocked out the entire baffle, added a cone shaped baffle to the end they cut off, cut off the narrow end pipe and added a larger diameter piece to match the baffle, welded it back together and man it makes a difference.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
jp4bama said:
Put them on this afternoon and they sound great!
Based on its appearence...They cut off the end that holds the end cap, knocked out the entire baffle, added a cone shaped baffle to the end they cut off, cut off the narrow end pipe and added a larger diameter piece to match the baffle, welded it back together and man it makes a difference.
It sounds like they do it complete and add a proper tail pipe so the exhaust doesn't blow back inside the tips. That's the part Bob doesn't do with the atom bombs. The ones I received were also improperly welded so the end caps were skewed. After about 4 hours of tinkering and adding my own tail pipe I finally have a decent pipe.

Usually you get what you pay for and in this case you can spend $200 + freight in both directions and get a half assed pipe or you can get this one for $399. Money well spend unless you have the time and skills to fix the atom bombs.

RPW also sells a pipe that retails for something like $600 that lets you keep your stock pipes.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
RPW started charging more because they are chroming the mufflers now. Since the mufflers are all covered up I don't undertstand the logic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the stage 1, and agree about the sound. Others who hear it (off the bike) say it sounds good, but on the bike sounds quiet, especially compared with my 05 Kingpin stage 1. After spending the dough for stage 1, though, not in a mood to get new pipes.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I have the stage 1, have around 900 miles on her now. I thought the stage 1 pipes were ok until I got out with my Harley buddies yesterday. I still don't want something that drives me or the wife off the bike but I'm thinking I surely need something with more attitude.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Save some money and punch out the baffles. I did the 11/8" and K&N w/ the map and I'm lovin' it. Quiet at idle but awesome on the gas! I posted the how to on here some where.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.