VOG Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here who has paid the big dough and installed the CB Radio? What kind of results have you gotten? What kind or range are you getting?
I purchased & installed the kit myself (I'm no dummy & consider myself electically competent), but this is frustrating me to no end.
Intercom works fine, VOX is fine, interface to the radio is fine (AM, FM, MP3) with no problems. CB is almost non-existant.... With the CB in either Local or DX, my xmit range is 1/4 to a half mile. My reception range is under "maybe" 300 feet (direct line of site to the end of my street an I can't receive anything).
I spoke with my dealer and they had no help to offer, they contacted Victory & were told 1 to 3 miles is the "best" I should expect. This is CB!, I know a CB should be able to reach up to 20 miles in the flat lands, Hell, I would besatisfied if Iwas able toget 5-6 miles... I could shut my mouth & drop it if I was getting 1-3 miles (that meets 90% my needs).
I'm reaching the point of making an "offical" warranty claim with Victory, but that will be a big PITA. My dealer's service department has no experience with CB, no equipment for testing and will likely need me to leave the bike with them for some unknown period of time.
I am hesitant to have a radio tech touch it at this pointbecause of warranty claim issues and I believe that since this is an "OEM" kit, the cable & antenna should be pre-tuned for optimal operation, so needing to purchase an SWR meter or adjusting the Antenna should not be necessary IMHO.
I have removed the radio & antenna, sanded all mounting points to ensure a good ground with no improvement.
Any suggestions? Opinions of whether it is the CB unit or the Antenna?
Thanks!
5th Gear

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I know exactly what your problem is, the large washer you use to secure the antenna to the mount is contacting the inner antenna lead and shorting out the antenna circuit. Find a smaller washer, one that isn't any larger than the inner ground portion of the antenna mount, then stack the large washer on top of that. That will prevent the larger washer from contacting the inner conductor on the antenna mount and you'll get the proper CB reception.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I see what you mean after looking at it.
Put 2 washers on it & will test and let you know. Big thanks to you.
5th Gear

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having same problem with new 2011 cross country, have thought it seemed like a short, dealer going to install another Antenna and cable, they called the tech guys and didn't say anything about this. I think they need to read their own site!

·
Registered
6 Posts

Good Afternoon, I've read that you can use a Firestick Antenna for better reception. Can anyone tell me if they have tried this and if so, is there any adjustment you need to make or do you simply just replace the OEM antenna witht eh Firestick?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
44 Posts

Being the system is probably a combo unit working in tandem with your AM/FM rig, you cant expect much out of the antenna that's provided. You would have to have a dedicated 11 meter antenna to get any more than 5 to 10 miles range. Also, make sure the radio is checked with an SWR meter to make sure the antenna is matched (trimmed) to the radio. Transmitting with a high SWR ratio is sure to blow the final driver transistor in the radio.

·
Registered
411 Posts

rseven923 said:
Good Afternoon, I've read that you can use a Firestick Antenna for better reception. Can anyone tell me if they have tried this and if so, is there any adjustment you need to make or do you simply just replace the OEM antenna witht eh Firestick?

Thanks in advance!
look up dentdave, he put a firestick mountend off of the exhaust his latest was to move it to the trunk of his XCT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.