VOG Forum banner

CATS Gonna Get Nuetered

4967 62
Just got cams and a great tune, but the CATS gotta go.

This Texas heat just dont give shoot about torque..

It just doesnt matter when your sitting on your bike. The Sun beating down on your helmet trying to poach your brain and your bike trying to roast your chestnuts.

I hear "dont do it" and "you will regret it".
Well I reget not buying "NETFLIX" so I suspect I won't regret losing a little bit of pull.

I meed to slow my as... down any way. Those CAMS go to your head pretty fast.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Just got cams and a great tune, but the CATS gotta go.

This Texas heat just dont give shoot about torque..

It just doesnt matter when your sitting on your bike. The Sun beating down on your helmet trying to poach your brain and your bike trying to roast your chestnuts.

I hear "dont do it" and "you will regret it".
Well I reget not buying "NETFLIX" so I suspect I won't regret losing a little bit of pull.

I meed to slow my as... down any way. Those CAMS go to your head pretty fast.
When you remove the cats, install the DK Performance torque washers. I think you'll need part number # 158 for the inside diameter of the head pipes. This will raise the DB loudness by 1 point, but also decrease the heat that you feel with the cats in place. The HP and TQ will be abouit the same.

·
Registered
626 Posts
"and a great tune"
I assume you mean dyno'd?
Remove the CATS and you'll need another dyno, no?
Not if you install the torque tubes in the head pipes that Rylan sells or the DK Performance thunder torque inserts. Both of these products will hep you gain back the torque that is lost when you remove the cats.

Thunder Torque Inserts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Everything I've heard was not to remove then.
I just can't tolerate the extra heat comimg of the exhuast.

I think getting the temps 20-30 degrees lower would make a world of difference for the bikes overall performance and my overall comfort.

I'm not familiar with the techical whys, but to me the engine has to run hotter with the with the CATS running so close to the oil pan.

I can definitely feel the difference in the clutch when the bike is a operating temps.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I agree with @Dnewman
When I had my other setup(PC-V, Miller Mufflers, Lloydz AF / +4 ATS and a KMC dyno tune) I removed the cats to cut down on heat and added DK Thunder Torques (# 158 for my application) and the bike actually had more torque, noticeably stronger pull.. I loved the power.....But ,with the cats out, open pipes and DKs, the noise level and concussion was too much for long touring(which I do mostly) So I ended up pulling everything and going to a Vic Tri-Oval stage 1 setup. With the Tri-Oval stage 1 long rides are much more tolerable and without all the growl and grunt I've slowed down quite a bit...not like I have a Goldwing or anything ;) but just a taking it more easy.

Reactions: Chattanooga_Mark

·
Registered
626 Posts
And these Torque tubes are only for Steel framed bikes? Correct?
The steel frame bikes use smaller head pipes and don't have cats inside of the head pipes. When you remove the cats that are in the ends of the head pipes of the Cross Country bikes , you'll need to replace them with some thing inside of the head pipes to gain back the exhaust velocity that is lost when you remove the cats or you'll lose low end torque.

The torque tubes Greer makes for the steel frame bikes are for the intake not for the exhaust.

·
Registered
626 Posts
if you would please, as you go through this process take some temp readings for comparison purposes.
I sure will when I get the time to remove the whole exhaust system on my XCT, and floor board on the right side to do this. I bought a used set of stock Cross Country head pipes to modify and compare the difference in TQ and HP against the stock head pipes with the cats in them.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ok still a Victory newbie here. Are the cats inside the stock mufflers ? I have Arlen Ness Big Honkers slipons.
The cats are inside of the head pipes at the end. When you remove both mufflers you can see them, You will need to remove the left muffler, and also the short exhaust pipe in front of it so that you can see the cat that's inside of the left head pipe.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts