VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rainman and I left his place in East Tennessee last Thursday headed to Oklahoma to ride with friends. On Wednesday I rode from Western NC to his house via Waynesville and I stopped in where I bought my Vision. I asked if the mechanic would check my tire pressure he said sure. Front ( Dunlop E4) and rear (Metzeler ME 888) were spot on for correct pressure. Great. I ride over through the Oconee river and onto his place. Left Thursday morning and were determined to ride back roads and take two days to get to Talihina, Oklahoma even though the forecast there was 100 % rain and it did. About 60 miles from Chattanooga and early the following failure on the ME 888 took place. Temps were average. Load was no more than two up would have been. Speed was 60 ish. To us it looks like a defect in the tire. I managed to get it off the road and didn't damage the rim. Great guy finally stopped to help. He owned a roll back and took me to Crockett Power Sports in Chattanooga that had an E4 rear on the shelf. $500 later, tire plus mount balance and rollback ride 60 miles we were on our way again. Take a look. Tell me what you surmise. This was a new tire, bought this spring. View attachment 500139 I did not run over anything.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Wow, I can honestly say that I personally have never seen a motorcycle tire tear like that. Very nasty scene and glad you and your ride are good to go! I agree with you and your riding bud. It sure looks like a major defect in the tire itself. That seam/split appears to follow the radius of the tire itself...yikes!

·
Super Moderator
26,128 Posts
No amount of Slime will be fixing that. Duct tape though.... Just maybe. Lol!

I'm glad you kept her up. I've lost pressure in the rear from a nail and it was spooky enough. I'm sure that woke you up real quick.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Rainman and I left his place in East Tennessee last Thursday headed to Oklahoma to ride with friends. On Wednesday I rode from Western NC to his house via Waynesville and I stopped in where I bought my Vision. I asked if the mechanic would check my tire pressure he said sure. Front ( Dunlop E4) and rear (Metzeler ME 888) were spot on for correct pressure. Great. I ride over through the Oconee river and onto his place. Left Thursday morning and were determined to ride back roads and take two days to get to Talihina, Oklahoma even though the forecast there was 100 % rain and it did. About 60 miles from Chattanooga and early the following failure on the ME 888 took place. Temps were average. Load was no more than two up would have been. Speed was 60 ish. To us it looks like a defect in the tire. I managed to get it off the road and didn't damage the rim. Great guy finally stopped to help. He owned a roll back and took me to Crockett Power Sports in Chattanooga that had an E4 rear on the shelf. $500 later, tire plus mount balance and rollback ride 60 miles we were on our way again. Take a look. Tell me what you surmise. This was a new tire, bought this spring. View attachment 500139 I did not run over anything.
Glad you came out of that one upright.

Dunno what your status is, where that tire is now, but I would suggest sending it back at Metz from wherever you got it and let them send it back to the manufacturer to determine if it's a defect warranty thing. It certainly can't hurt to try. I did that with a Pirelli that right after I got it, it seemed to have nail holes in it. Didn't have but a few hundred miles on the tire. Took the tire back to the shop I got it from. They made me pay for another tire because I needed one right then but they sent it back to the manufacturer and gave me my money back when it was cleared.

You certainly have put thoughts in my head. I was thinking about Metz on my next change.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm near Asheville. Too spread out now. No more Metzeler tires. Rainman said he had heard of other Metz tires blowing like this. Anecdotal yes. Dunlop for me. I bought this because this spring there was a backorder on rear E4's for my Viz and a 4 week wait. Plan ahead I guess. I've lived to talk about It, that's fortunate.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have never seen a tire fail like that - on a bike or car. The thing that alarms me about the pictures of the failure is that the internal wire and or chord are all non existent across the split in the tire. From the pictures it doesn't show hardly any ends of the wires/chords along the face of the split except for a few in the left side of the photos in the second post. To me it looks as if there were no chords/wires in most all of the split. I would call this a radical manufacturing failure/defect.

I have had tires on cars go down due to a tread puncture and the rim cut the side wall before I could stop. Even in that case the cut in the sidewall still showed the chords/wires across the cut.

Glad you were able to keep upright. I won't be getting this brand of tire - EVER!!!!.

Reactions: J.Wales

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Do you know what the pressure reading was or just going on what you were told? An ME 888 has a load rating of 74 & OEM has an 80 rating that perhaps contributed. I have my own history with Metzler when they first started making them in Brazil and swore I’d never go there again. You’re not the first to experience catastrophic failure running a Metzler.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Either on this site or the sister Vic site, someone posted exactly this type of failure of a Metz tire. Someone commented Metz will warranty (me I'd rather have the money back thx).

Glad you're safe

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Is there a tear or puncture in the tire. Looks like there might be (circled below)

View attachment 500161

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.