Carry a extra gallon of gas | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Carry a extra gallon of gas

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by VicVisionBulldog, Apr 18, 2011.

1. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    I just got an item from Amazon.com and thought some of yall would like to know about it. I'd never seen anything like it before and thought it was a great idea for long rides. Im going to put the link below but if it does work search Reda Portable Motorcycle Gas Can - 1 Gallon on Amazon.com This is a spare one gallon gas can that will fit a side bag. I have a 07' KP Tour. It didnt fit the pipe side bag but fit like a glove in the rear of the other. The can is hard plastic and seems well made. It has a locking cap and the nozzle is made just for a bikes gas tank. It is alittle high priced for a small gas can but for a specialized product I cant complain. Its nice to be able to carry the same fuel load of those with the a Harley. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WHBVDI

2. Rick057

Rick057 Member

Vision and Kingpin
    Much cheaper than running out of gas in the middle of no where. How do you think it would fit in a Vision side bag?

3. ZZedmonds

ZZedmonds Active Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    I have seen those before. They fit nicely and most angled back style saddlebags.

4. Rollin

Rollin Well-Known Member

I have two of them. Very heavy duty. [​IMG]

5. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

I would think they would fit a Vision fine. I'm new to Victory but it seemed to me that the Vision had much more room than my KP Tour. My KP bags are pretty small compared to the size of the bike. I had much more room with my Road King, or maybe it's just the way the KP bags are rounded making it harder to slide things straight in. Either way I think it would fit.

6. RedRyder

RedRyder Well-Known Member

2009 Victory Vision 10th Anniversary and 1999 V92C
    I have done back to back 1,000 mile days and 19 hours in the saddle, what do you need more gas for? I thought Ironbutt requires gas stop receipts? I run out of gas because I think I can go just a little farther not because my fuel tank isn't big enough. So you need to stop to put the gas in from the spare tanks so why not just stop at a gas station, have a drink, pee and stretch your legs? There are spare gas tanks available that fold up so you could carry them if you ran out and someone could go get you some fuel instead of buying a can just for 1 use. Let us know how you make out with all that fuel on your bike and you crash... O.O The stock one is aluminum or steel and is secured to the frame. I have seen a few accidents where there was some over spill of gas but not a punchered or scratched through tank. Not felling real safe here.

7. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Well-Known Member

2011 Vision
    RedRyder, I have traveled across this country several times and I have found instances where gas stations were more than 100 miles apart. 60 miles apart is very common. I only had a 4 gallon tank on my last scoot and have put exactly 4 gallons in it, twice. (Riding on fumes :rolleyes: ) I carry an extruded aluminum fuel bottle that is made for camping. Haven't as yet used it, but nice to know it's there in the middle of the desert when temperatures exceed 110 degrees. It only carries 1 liter of gas which would allow me to go 10 more miles on my Vision, so I may have to get another one. Similar to this; http://safetycentral.com/sigfuelstorb3.html For hard core tourers (Rollin :wink: ), this is most likely the best answer to extra gas because, I believe, you just flip a petcock like you used to do to access your reserve tank in the old days; http://www.tourtank.com/TourTanks.html Just remember that gas expands when warmed up, so allow a little room at the top to avoid pressurized spillage problems if you ever have to open it.

8. Rollin

Rollin Well-Known Member

The IBA requires a receipt every 300 miles or to show a direction change. The spare gas is "just in case". A lot of gas stations are not open 24 hours and a lot do not have pay at the pump. When I did the IBA 49 state ride I needed my spare gas 4 times because of closed gas stations. On a timed ride I do not have time to run out of gas or to wait for someone to bring me gas. Using a gas station is quicker so I try to use them but just in case....

9. Rollin

Rollin Well-Known Member

At the corner is last gas station before Hyder, Alaska. From this point it is 137 miles to Alaska. The gas station was closed and did not have pay at the pump. If I didn't have my auxiliary fuel tank with my 10 day ride could have ended here. [​IMG]

10. Rick057

Rick057 Member

Vision and Kingpin
    I was on a long trip once visiting brothers in different states. Got off at an exit near my brothers to get gas. Station had pump problems and couldn't pump, had to find the closest station with my GPS. Ended up putting 5.9 gallons in. Would have been nice to have that extra gallon when in the middle of no where with a closed station.

11. reddog3769

reddog3769 Member

2007 Kingpin Tour
    Extra gas is a great thing to have on long hauls. From one who has been stuck on the side of teh road I would loved to have had one back then. The fuel light on the Vegas I had desided to quit and left me just outside of Wall in 98 degree sun beating down with no cover in sight. Took a while before someone stopped and it was a 1% club at that. That little 0ne litre can would have saved me some heat stroke that day. Sometimes you only need a few drops more to get you there.. Thanks for the links

12. pmoper

pmoper New Member

Victory Vegas
    Haul gas in one saddle bag and maybe 1/2 a case of dynamite in the other.....they are about the same.....(Firefighter here) No, I think it is much wiser to just keep track of the fuel situation and stop when you are getting a bit low....Both Bike and rider should stop from time to time anyways....Motorcycle torches are not a pretty sight.

13. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

Dynamite? Really? I really don't think I'm going to be worried about a gallon of gas if the wreck was bag enough to make it an issue. Yes, the firefighters might need to put my bike out (insurance time) but I'm betting I will be somewhere down the road. Lol! In my line of work I have seen tons of wrecks and have to say I have never seen a gas tank explode. The fuel leaking and burnig yes but not exploding. The tires however give a nice little boom. Motorcycles are not the safest things in the world and I doubt a gallon of gas in a plastic can is going to change that much. We don't ride them cause they are safe.

14. johnfrey

johnfrey New Member

If you go back and re read his post he says to "keep up with the harley" Screw them if you need gas stop and get it. If there any kinda friends they will be happy you stopped so they can get off and relax. When I road a harley I had a 6 gallon tank and there was a sporty who had less. When they pointed at there tank needing gas I was happy to pull in and stretch. I all ways hope they would pull in sooner then they did.

15. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

Right. I have never had a problem with stopping to get gas. Most everybody is ready for a break 130 miles in. I just like to know that my bike can now carry the same fuel load as someone with the 5 to 6 gallon tank. I just dont want to be that guy that runs out for whatever reason while the rest of the group still has a gallon. Planning thats all it is. Cause I look funny riding *****, holding a gas can. HAHA