VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at a "cruiser" type half helmet. If you get a DOT approved 1/2 helmet - it looks like a mushroom!!! I want to stay awayfrom the mushroom look.
I've zeroed in on carbon asa material & 2 manufacturers.
1 is ACC (Advanced Carbon Composites) - "Head Trip Helmets." They make two DOTtypes I like (and some novelty that are real cool - but I'm staying DOT for now. The other company is HCI. The HCI gets good reviews. These are both REAL carbon & not eye candy junk.
ACC: Extended Half Helmet carbon$175 - $190, and the Polo Helmet carbon$175 - $190.
HCI: Polo Helmet $160 - $175 (I found it for $119).
Does ayone have any "exerience / own" either of these two helmets????I'm kinda leaning towards the Polo style of both brands.
Thx!!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Dawg, Where are you looking for these helmets at? I have been using a Shoei half helmet for years. Time to get a new one and was thinking on carbon fiber. Thanks

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I have been using the ACC carbon "novelty" polo helmet for the last 5 or 6 years and I love it. I've tried their DOT helmets but the shape is so different I can't get one that fits comfortably. While I may hot have the perceived protection afforded by the DOT certification I spoke at length with the owner of the company before purchasing it and discussed the differences between the DOT version he was working on at the time and the helmet I bought. The only differences between the two are the puncture resistance and the retention straps. He said, and I have no reason the not believe him, that the novelty version passes all but the puncture and retention specs, both of which are excessive based on real world situations. He has many documented cases where people using his novelty design have had crashes and walked away without significant damage to their cranium but ultimately you must decide whether the DOT stamp is important to you. Also understand I have 5 other helmets, ALL of which are DOT, Snell or EC approved, it's just that in the 1/2 helmet designs the low profile of the ACC novelty was the only one I could find that didn't give me the mushroom cap look and felt comfortable.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

mjw930 said:
I have been using the ACC carbon "novelty" polo helmet for the last 5 or 6 years and I love it. I've tried their DOT helmets but the shape is so different I can't get one that fits comfortably. While I may hot have the perceived protection afforded by the DOT certification I spoke at length with the owner of the company before purchasing it and discussed the differences between the DOT version he was working on at the time and the helmet I bought. The only differences between the two are the puncture resistance and the retention straps. He said, and I have no reason the not believe him, that the novelty version passes all but the puncture and retention specs, both of which are excessive based on real world situations. He has many documented cases where people using his novelty design have had crashes and walked away without significant damage to their cranium but ultimately you must decide whether the DOT stamp is important to you. Also understand I have 5 other helmets, ALL of which are DOT, Snell or EC approved, it's just that in the 1/2 helmet designs the low profile of the ACC novelty was the only one I could find that didn't give me the mushroom cap look and felt comfortable.
That's some really good inside info. Thx!!!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

bubba said:
Dawg, Where are you looking for these helmets at? I have been using a Shoei half helmet for years. Time to get a new one and was thinking on carbon fiber. Thanks
Bubba - just getting off work. When I get home I'll post some pics & the websites. Thx.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

mjw930 said:
Since you have both, is there any less padding in a better novelty helmet? I seen some at cycle world on Main Street and they were paper thin...

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
dsjr70 said:
mjw930 said:
Since you have both, is there any less padding in a better novelty helmet? I seen some at cycle world on Main Street and they were paper thin...
Yes, the liner in the novelty version of the ACC helmet is about 1/2 as thick as the liner in the DOT version. The DOT requirements require the thicker lining for the puncture tests but according to ACC their Ensolite liner is a more advanced material for spreading and dissipating energy but lacks the puncture resistance required by DOT.

Ensolite is an energy absorbing foam originally developed by NASA to protect pressure vessels from damage. It has virtually 100% memory and is waterproof.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I started with the ACC helmet and completely HATE it. the thing seems home made, and I have sent it back two different times[not counting a 3rd for a recall]. I would have ran the damn thing over, but it was a present from my wife.

The HCI that I bought however is a great helmet. Fit and finish are excellent, and it has never had a problem

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

HCI: #105 Polo Carbon
MSRP about $160
Generally $119 on web.
$99 @ www.maxhelmetsupply.com
Carbon grey only - DOT

Advanced Carbon Composites (ACC)
Head Trip Helmets - $175 to $190 (no deals)
Comes in different colors
www.carbonfiberhelmets.com
DOT

ACC extended Half in "Black Candy" - DOT

I'm kinda leaning towards the HCI - from what I am reading the fit & finish is superior.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
ddawg said:
MSRP about $160
Generally $119 on web.
Carbon grey only - DOT

DOT

I'm kinda leaning towards the HCI - from what I am reading the fit & finish is superior.
Thanks !!! You don't think that little bill will act as a wing? Kevin??

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bubba said:
ddawg said:
MSRP about $160
Generally $119 on web.
Carbon grey only - DOT

DOT

Thanks !!! You don't think that little bill will act as a wing? Kevin??
It is a concern of mine. But - I have a windshield in front of me. I've talked to 2 different riders that have the Polo carbon helmet. They both really like it - but - both have windshields in front of them.

If I had a bike w/ out a windshield - I'd get the lid w/ out the small bill.

Excellent point Bubba.
Thx,
Dana
Ddawg

·
Registered
3,229 Posts

No problem with the Bill acting as lift on either my ACC, or HCI. Notice the positioning of the straps for the ACC, and just like min; they are not in the same place on both sides. Also they cut into the ear. Check out this pic of an HCI, and you can see how much better the design is for the straps. Again I can not stress how disapointed I was with the ACC. Real shame was that right after I bought it; I found the HCI at the Atlanta IMS

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
kevinx01 said:
I started with the ACC helmet and completely HATE it. the thing seems home made, and I have sent it back two different times[not counting a 3rd for a recall]. I would have ran the damn thing over, but it was a present from my wife.

The HCI that I bought however is a great helmet. Fit and finish are excellent, and it has never had a problem
Kevin, I agree with you on the ACC DOT version, it's not a very good design IMHO. I'll check out the HCI. I do love my "original" ACC novelty version, it fits well and I believe provides plenty of protection for "around town" use.

Looks like J&P sells them so anyone in the Daytona area has a place to try one on. I have never had a lot of luck buying helmets online UNLESS I've tried them on locally and know how they fit.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pa06jackpot said:
ACC helmets are being recalled, check the site for more info. I have two of them which I plan to send back and get a refund.
Ooohh! Not good! I didn't see the recall. I'll check it out. Thx.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Today I ordered the HCI carbon Polo w/ a pair of Wiley X "Rout" light adjusting glasses.
Ought to get them in 7 to 10 ays. Will post a review.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
ddawg said:
Today I ordered the HCI carbon Polo w/ a pair of Wiley X "Rout" light adjusting glasses.
Ought to get them in 7 to 10 ays. Will post a review.
Thanks Dawg!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.