VOG Forum banner

Carbon Fiber

11661 Views 54 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  Brookshirebrother
Instead of blacking out some of the light grey aluminum, I decided to Carbon Fiber Wrap. Not too difficult of a job, but you need a little patience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
455 Posts
I just received mine too. I ask ManWithAVision and he didn't buy the 94 primer and his stuck really good. Its $29.95 a bottle and from what I saw in there video you would use maybe a thimble full if that. I am letting mine warm up and am going to try it later this week. With the left overs I was thinking of doing the 2 veges. I was very happy to see its quite shinny. If I have enough left over I might do the inside of the gauge holes. I will order more and so the rear bumper peace and clutch cover and maybe the two side aluminum peaces along with the top of the dash. ManWithAVision said you all most need 4 hands so I have been thinking all week how I might do it cause I only have two hands. Mary Christmas ALL

· Registered
455 Posts
Say for all of you that have these question on carbon fiber covering go to there site and click on FAQ and do some reading they do answer all of the questions you guys have asked. http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/?gclid=CJ7L8v3I-50CFcZM5QodoUaupw

· Registered
455 Posts
I did my dash my two cheese wedges and my clutch plate cover. I even did my cell phone and pieces let over. I bought the 12x48. When I can I will do my ignition cover. Later this month I will order more CF to do the aluminum V panel up front. It is so easy to use just use a heat gun the warmer it is the easier it is to apply. I did the wedges first cause there small and then worked my way to the bigger ones. If your going to do it leave a inch over hand and cut it every inch or so. If you get a bump or a flaw just get it warm and un peel and reapply. If you decide to do it you can its easy.

· Registered
455 Posts
jgn281 said:
I attempted tp put on the Carbon Fiber Wrap and quite honestly it didn't work out very well. First of all, when I unrolled it out of the shipping container I noticed the edges of the protective backing was already coming off in several spots. Then the instructions suggested I will need 3 people for this and that just left me 2 people short. I did make an attempt to go ahead with the covering, but after about an hour of trying to work it out from top to bottom, I had this feeling I was not making any progress. So I decided to take the console over to the painters and he matched my gloss black color. It was not what I had intended to do originally but it does look very good and it is permanate. Cost was about $50, and I'll use the CF on something else.
I c clamped my dash to a 2x4 and sat in front of the fire place while the heat coming off the fire place made the fiber very pliable and with a old credit card just went to work and it came out fine. If you send me your dash and the fiber I'll do it for you for free its not that hard.

· Registered
455 Posts
jgn281 said:
I have read several post about the Carbon Fiber wrap and I have just purchased enough to do my console, but I see where 3M suggest a 94 primer to be used along with the CF but I have not seen where anyone has ever mentioned it. Has anyone used this before or just put the CF down without it?
I cleaned every thing with rubbing alcohol using a old towel. I think a trick is to leave a good inch over hang and clean that too.

· Registered
455 Posts
jgn281 said:
I like the way the carbon fibre wrap looks but I am concerned about what it will do in cold temps. My VV lives in an unheated garage during the winter months in Indiana and it will see some pretty cold days and nights, I wonder if anybody has had a problem with this, like the ends curling up or shrinkage?
I'm in minnesota and the garage is 8 degrees and every thing is sticking just fine. I did my clutch cover even and its holding great. When you apply the fiber you'll find out how good it sticks.

· Registered
455 Posts
Here you go. Its easy if you kinda think it out before doing. I had a heat gun but a hairdryer will work along with a razor knife. Do the bottom half of the dash for a finished look.A second person to run the heat gun would be great but I did it by myself. Look at the videos they will help. I believe I ordered 12" x 48" with left over. I had the C/B in three days. http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.