VOG Forum banner

Carbon Fiber

11613 54
Instead of blacking out some of the light grey aluminum, I decided to Carbon Fiber Wrap. Not too difficult of a job, but you need a little patience.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6,116 Posts

For those of us that do not know much about this process can you please explain a couple things: How it is applied? Where can you get the product? Is This a film?...like window tinting?What kind of cost would you be looking at?
Thanks in advance for your insight.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

This is a carbon fiber film sold in sheets by 3M. Pretty heavy duty and has a textured woven appearance . . . hard to tell from picture.
http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/?gclid=CJ7L8v3I-50CFcZM5QodoUaupw
Cost ~$150 bucks and took me ~3 hours to do console, front wing, and two sides. Pretty easy to apply and does a good job conforming to curves with the use of a hair dryer. Bubbles press out pretty easy due to micro air channels cut into the adhesive. If I can do it, anyone can!

·
Registered
6,116 Posts

Thanks Man314 for the information. I was very interested in this as it would give a very unique look to the bike.....right up until I read the part about only having a 4 yroutdoor lifespan(3 years in the desert).....only 12 years for indoor use.
This is directly from their website:
Carbon Fiber Vinyl
Here at Carbon Fiber Film, we only sell 3M™ DI-NOC™, the best carbon fiber vinyl in the industry.

• Not just a printed pattern, but has an actual texture that reflects light
  • 4 year outdoor (3 year desert)/12 year indoor lifespan
  • Self-adhesive back with 3M™ Comply adhesive
  • Water resistant
  • Can be cleaned with soap and water

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

phoenix9
After 4 years (maybe even 5 in Iowa . . . we are really not known for our deserts here), I'll pull out the heat gun, peel it off, and reapply.
advntrus,
I didn't like the looks of the black bike with the light silver V. Like the whole thing black. This makes it black with a little interest. Picture makes it look lighter than it really is due to flash. It is a pretty thick film and will protect as well. Bugs don't show up either.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
I would imagine its for the look. Real carbon fiber is outrageously expensive. looks very cool and is super strong.
When i was racing they changed the rules and made us install carbon fiber in the sides of the car to protect against side intrusion. It installs very similarly to fiberglass cloth.

In this case it is a 3m vinyl so basically its a peal and stick. Like vinyl graphics for your car.

·
Registered
156 Posts

I used an exacto knife on mine...I just finished my console as well...
I'm with man314 I will remove it in 4 years and do it again....It is so easy who cares!!!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

I'm not sure if this would apply, but when I used to apply decals to my company vehicle, I would use a water bottle filled with water and a little bit of dish soap. I would spray down the surface and the glue side of the decal and apply. The soapy mixture would allow me a few minutes to play around with the position of the decal. Once I got it set, I just use a credit card to squeegie out the water and air bubbles.
Not sure if this is even applicable. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This 3M stuff is amazing. No need for water/soap trick. It has micro air grooves in the adhesive layer that easily allow you to work any bubbles out. It is thick enough you can really work with it without risk of tearing. It starts out low tack so you can pull tight then pull loose if you need to to readjust. Hair dryer works good to warm us to make it more pliable around corners.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can't wait to see!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Man314 said:
This is a carbon fiber film sold in sheets by 3M. Pretty heavy duty and has a textured woven appearance . . . hard to tell from picture.
The texture will have made all the difference - the cheap standard stuff looks - CHEAP. That 3M film is terrific - I have some Camo sheets somewhere.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
freezeradio said:
That looks very good. How was that on the front cowl? Looks like an art. Way better than the silver look of stock. nice
Thanks! Just take your time, use a hairdryer to warm they vinyl as you stretch it, and leave about about an inch overhang around all edges. Just prior to wrapping around the back (make sure back is clean), cut slits every 2" or so up to the edge of metal . . . this will make "tabs" that will wrap around to back side so that it wraps around the edges and gives you a clean look and it keeps vinyl from puckering due to the compound angles. This tabs need to be long enough to stay stuck to back side. A couple of mine were too short and constantly popped loose. Send us pics if you do it! Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.