VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Victory riders! Well my rear shock on my 2014 XCT appears to have leaked out all the oil over the course of the last two weeks. It's holding air and probably should be replaced although I haven't really noticed the ride being much rougher to where I feel I need to do it for that reason. It's not leaking any more and with the oil residue washed off you would hard pressed to tell it ever leaked out just by looking.

Ironically, I purchased an adjustable lowering link from VicBaggers and planned on lowering the bike 1" maybe 1.25" once winter sets in here in northeast Ohio. The Victory replacement part for the XCT is #1542905. I have been looking on eBay for a deal on a gently used one. Since it's a gamble buying used (new as well for that matter) I do not want to spend a lot, plus I am retired and $500-$700 for a new one is not in my budget.

As I search for a used #1542905, I see plenty of other shocks that are pulled from Magnums, Visions, Cross Roads etc.

My question is, has anyone used a shock from a Magnum, Cross Roads, or Vision as a replacement on the XCT? Logic tells me that since they are different part numbers they are all different to some degree. I was thinking that maybe the Magnum may give the 1" lower without me using the adjustable link I have. Maybe one of the other models can be used successfully in conjunction with my adjustable lowering link to achieve the height I am looking for.

I am aware of the Penske option but a new one at the going rate is not in the budget.

Like to hear from anyone with any experience with this scenario.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
1542903 Shock, KYB, Air vision 2011 to 2017
1542904 Shock, KYB, Air [8 Ball] vision this is 1 inch shorter then stock
1542905 Shock, KYB, Air ALL CR and XC 2011 to 2017
1543514 SHOCK, KYB, AIR, LNG Magnum and Magnum X-1 2015 to 2017
These part numbers are from victory's parts finch

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All the baggers are the same. Not sure about the Vision. I would think the Magnum is the same just lower link.
red_bagger, thanks for the help, appreciate getting back with me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
unless you can get a bargain a Penske shock built for YOU would be the way to go!!
rodhotter, i am putting a Penske on my Christmas wish-list. thank you!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here is what a shock looks like all apart. if you have the tools it can be rebuilt. The far left you can see the shock and it has seal on the bottom of it View attachment 360617 View attachment 360625
vision_nut, thank you for all the good info. I am not able to do the rebuild. Maybe someone who can will take advantage of the growing market for these.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
the Penske built for me smoothed my Hammer so it will do well on bikes with some sidewalls that absorb the road a bit. a while back i read where a Vic bagger rider got his with a remote adjuster, surely xtra $$ but whatever. i called the Penske factory in Reading, Pa about 60 miles away + talked to a tech to order what i wanted for my size + riding style, they build them as needed + are rebuildable if needed in the future. shocks using air are cheaper to build while giving adjustability but they have their shortcomings.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
XC/CR are the same part number (1542905), so they will interchange. The Vision is 1542903 and the Magnum is 1543514, what the difference is (if any) I am not sure.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjknuSl3f3WAhWHz4MKHaxhBBUQFgg1MAA&url=http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/&usg=AOvVaw0Y9pxRKtwWbU5mtYUwrJ00
Hi Boilerman, thank you for the info. I would be wary of buying a new one at this point. My bike has a shade over 10K miles and i bought it new in 2015 so I lasted a little over 2 years. All the while, I took care to only use the Victory(Fox) hand pump that I bought day one and kept the pressure between 50 - 65 lbs. I'd kick myself if I got a new one and it went belly up in 2 years from now. I think the Penske is what I would go with down the road. I may just start saving for it and ride this one in the meantime. I am going to keep a eye out for an inexpensive used one.

Do you, or does anyone who might read this know, if the air bladder were to fail whether that would cause the tire to bottom out on the fender? I guess the question is about the safety aspect of just riding this shock the way it is until I replace it properly with a Penske or a good used one.

I would think that the engineering would be such that if the air bladder failed it would not be catastrophic but I could use some reassurance if anyone knows.

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the Penske built for me smoothed my Hammer so it will do well on bikes with some sidewalls that absorb the road a bit. a while back i read where a Vic bagger rider got his with a remote adjuster, surely xtra $$ but whatever. i called the Penske factory in Reading, Pa about 60 miles away + talked to a tech to order what i wanted for my size + riding style, they build them as needed + are rebuildable if needed in the future. shocks using air are cheaper to build while giving adjustability but they have their shortcomings.
Penske sure seems like the best way to go. American made is a big plus to boot.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Hi Boilerman, thank you for the info. I would be wary of buying a new one at this point. My bike has a shade over 10K miles and i bought it new in 2015 so I lasted a little over 2 years. All the while, I took care to only use the Victory(Fox) hand pump that I bought day one and kept the pressure between 50 - 65 lbs. I'd kick myself if I got a new one and it went belly up in 2 years from now. I think the Penske is what I would go with down the road. I may just start saving for it and ride this one in the meantime. I am going to keep a eye out for an inexpensive used one.

Do you, or does anyone who might read this know, if the air bladder were to fail whether that would cause the tire to bottom out on the fender? I guess the question is about the safety aspect of just riding this shock the way it is until I replace it properly with a Penske or a good used one.

I would think that the engineering would be such that if the air bladder failed it would not be catastrophic but I could use some reassurance if anyone knows.

Thanks.
i would think the oil would be the cushion if the air bladder fails but you stated all your oil may have leaked out so now that would just leave the spring, good question. i thought i read somewhere if your below a certain weight ( guessing here, say 150 lbs ) you don't even need air in there.

·
Registered
604 Posts

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
here is what a shock looks like all apart. if you have the tools it can be rebuilt. The far left you can see the shock and it has seal on the bottom of it View attachment 360617 View attachment 360625
Old thread, I know. I have a small leak happening on mine. Wondering if the seal is just dirty and might be able to use a SealMate to fix it? I need to do my front forks as well, so I'll find a sealmate and try it.

if not, either a rebuild (if possible) or go with a Penske? What are my options?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
why fix junk?? if you can afford it a built for you penske is the best choice IMO. NO cheap air shock just a reliable hydraulic correctly set up + calibrated is the best choice, but of course its $$$!

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
why fix junk?? if you can afford it a built for you penske is the best choice IMO. NO cheap air shock just a reliable hydraulic correctly set up + calibrated is the best choice, but of course its $$$!
Calibrated for what? You, You and your stuff for a trip, You and a passenger, You and a passenger and all both of your stuff for a trip. Never had a problem with factory air adjustable shock 117,000 miles and counting and like it's versatility.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
I bought rear shock from Rusty Jones customs a few years ago off a brand bike they customized but never needed it. Now I just found out it's off a Magnum, which is a different part number. Does anybody know what the difference is? If anybody needs it let me know.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.