Cams & Clutches? | Page 4 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Cams & Clutches?

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Hsns, Jun 29, 2017.

1. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 Cross Country
    Let me help. Rotella makes a Jaso MA oil that many here use. It’s super affordable and available everywhere. This could be a good option for you. T5 semi syn or T6 full synthetic. You could buy both and mix. Many do that as well.
    Now considering you may have ruined your clutch using car oil ..... trust me it will ruin a wet clutch. You may have to go back and do it again. At that time Rotella could be used. Your other choices are Vic oil and Spectro 20/40 semi synthetic. I wouldn’t go experimenting with any other oils once your clutch is correct. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

Bikeless
    Cheap, synthetic, proper ratings.
    Shell Rotella® T6 15W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
    API, CK-4, CJ-4, ACEA E9, JASO DH-2, MA/MA 2

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    I mix the T4 & T6 to make my own T5

• Like Like x 1
  4. Half_Crazy

Bikeless
    Why, when you can now get 15W-40 T6?

5. Bikesofbrads

I like the semi sin as per factory design & the T5 is stupid expensive @ my wally mart.

6. DAVEofSAC

DAVEofSAC Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    Yer right!
    But, the reason I went with the 20W50 was a mistake. I've since gone back to a Vic kit... the noise is gone 'n alliswell.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Half_Crazy

Bikeless
  8. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    When i looked , T4 and T6 were MA rated and the T5 was not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    The talk was that it was but they (Shell) decided not to test it as it was simply a blend of T4 and T6 ? like I said just talk.
    Personally....... I would just use the T6. I’m not buying into the full synthetic is bad for your clutch talk. Use the CORRECT blend / Wt. have a properly adjusted cable, get rid of bad habits and ride.

I ve used Amsoil full syn and Spectro semi syn and now still experimenting with the slickest of all Motul 7100t 10/40. I don’t recommend you go to Motul and stay with Spectro/ Vic oil. I won’t be blamed for slipping clutches. I will say this Motul is Amazing and my motor absolutely loves it. Noticeable difference in smoothness and I think the motor runs a tad cooler. So far the clutch is rock solid. This weekend I’m riding with my wife and gear loaded down for a little Biketoberfest fun .....so another test for the Motul.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    The reply I got from Shell was. "It does not meet MA specs. Would not recommend you using it."

When I was looking at options years ago T5 was MA approved as indicated on the jugs. I've looked a few times over the last couple years and the MA has disappeared.

That prompted the email to Shell...

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. PreachSF

PreachSF Well-Known Member

Bullitt (07 Hammer S w/ Jackpot front end)
    @slickvic is right ... Motul is friggin AWESOME oil, BUT .... not for Victory's. that was the only oil i would run in my bikes before i entered the Victory fray.

Now that ive been in it for a decade with Conquest .... we use ONLY Vic / Indian oil OR Spectro Golden 4 .. the 20-40 semi syn. using a heavier weight puts too much stress on our oil pumps

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    I know preach ....I know ..... I’m chancing it .... but man I love this stuff. Tell ya what ..... if I smoke the clutch I’ll bring the 11XC to you for a replacement clutch. I wouldn’t have anyone else do it. We’ll call it lesson learned and back to Spectro.

Now the Magnum ? Spectro only. No experiments happening with that bike. 20/40 semi syn Spectro Golden 4.
    only reason I’m doing the Motul in the 11 ????
    I ran 20k with Amsoil and no issue. Plenty of hard launches and 2 up riding.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bikesofbrads

Thnx HC, U da man. When I bought ( Chillicothe Ohio) oil the T5 was $28 & the T4 & 6 was $18 so my cheapassery math led me to get a 4 & 6 so could do two oil changes. Bike always had Vic oil ran since new, I ran 1 change on my blend & has Vic oil n it now from Rylans oil change when did cams Maximus. Bikes always shifted great & clutch is smooth

14. Geobob

Geobob Active Member

88 Yamaha Venture, 07 Vstar 1300, 13 GSXR 750, 82 Honda CBX, 79 Turbocharge EFI CBX
    Lets see if we can get this thread off of oil. How do you guys do that. How can you be that anal about motor oil and then go on for pages in a thread about it. Is it really that interesting.

So here is what I posted on the Face book page

Bob Buehler
    Author
    Got the clutch swapped out tonight. The barnett stack is definitely shorter. The friction plates were 2.20 mm while the stock were all 2.22. The drive plates were 1.50 for the barnett while the stock was 1.58 mm. So someone please explain to me how the barnett stack resulted in no lever play. With the stock stack back in there I have a little play and pull feels like it completely disengages the clutch. I have not ridden it yet but with the pinion shaft set at 15 degrees it feels right. I video taped it all so I am working on a utube project. Stay tuned.

And by the way. Laying the Vision on it side make working on it so so much easier. I would do it just the get oil drain plug and filter off, then stand it up, let it drain and then lay it over to reinstall.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Personally I would go back to the stock clutch. I never bought into aftermarket clutches for these bikes. Your issue is one reason and I’ve read of others. Maybe a stiffer spring but in reality the stock clutch can easily handle 120/120. Obviously there’s clutch packs for different levels of power. The correct free play and ....... dare I say it .....well you know .....not to mention riding habit is key to clutch life.
    I do believe the Barnett clutch cable is an improvement worth buying if your stock cable fails.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1