VOG Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant figure out how to PM on here, but I am on my limted access PC {its my home pc that is linked to my office so it has rediculous internet protections installed, and it makes the internet 50% less fun}.
Anyway, these questions arefor ZZedmonds , I noticed you have the kewlmetal rack and mustang seat {I just bought the seat and the rack is next}...
1- Did you have to modify anything to fit the rack on with the mustang?
2-Can you detach the rack with the tour pack installed {main purpose I want the rack is to be able to quickly remove the pack}?
3-What exactly did you buy for the rack {Im thinking black rack and the kit to keep the side bags installed}? I dont want to spend the extra 100 for chrome...
4- do you have any pics of it installed with the pack with out ect?
5-Thank you in advance for your time and attention...

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
You cant PM. You can send email type messages.
Andy told me he set it up this way so that people will put their questions and comments into the forum itself so that everyone can be involved, and aslo so that people WILL post in the forum.
If PM,s were active, a lot of people would just be pming and the site would get smaller , therefore not be as interesting.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
makes sence, ussually people get upset when you post in the forum a personal message.... I would rather it this way so if anyone else needs the same info, its here for them with out asking...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
turbobike1 said:
I cant figure out how to PM on here, but I am on my limted access PC {its my home pc that is linked to my office so it has rediculous internet protections installed, and it makes the internet 50% less fun}.
Anyway, these questions arefor ZZedmonds , I noticed you have the kewlmetal rack and mustang seat {I just bought the seat and the rack is next}...
1- Did you have to modify anything to fit the rack on with the mustang?
2-Can you detach the rack with the tour pack installed {main purpose I want the rack is to be able to quickly remove the pack}?
3-What exactly did you buy for the rack {Im thinking black rack and the kit to keep the side bags installed}? I dont want to spend the extra 100 for chrome...
4- do you have any pics of it installed with the pack with out ect?
5-Thank you in advance for your time and attention...
Iinstalledthe 2 up Mustang seat and easy brackets about a month ago. I bought the Luggage rack, bungee buttons and removable backrest (still on order.)The Kewlmetal rack is designed for quick on and off installation with the stock seat. You need to request bungee buttons that are compatible with easybrackets. The Mustang seat is substantially widertahn stock. I did get mine to fit with some minor mods and a comprimise that the rack cannot be easily removed. Mine has even more clearance issues due the the fact that I have that model of seat with the domed rivets. The gist is that the Mustang seat will not allow enough clearance to install it normally. Here is what I did.

1) I removed the passenger seat and unbolted the seat pad from the heavy metal tray. (There is the seat and pan and then the heavy metal tray which is also part of the mounting brackets.)
2) I shimed the seat with 1/4" of bushings between and seat pan and the heavy metal tray, replaced the tray bolts with 1/4" of an inch longer ones.
3) Reinstalled the seat.
4) With the Kewlmetal rack unassembled, I bolted the side parts of the rack and the bungee buttons into the mounting holes gently compressing the sides of the seat until they were tightend.
5) Bolted on the top part of the rack to the side pieces.

Having the seat sitting up a little higher too some of the pressure off of the seat due to the angled sides. The fit and finish is good. I will not beable to remove and reinstall the rack easily as designed. That is not a problem for me since I am planning on leaving the rack on full time anyway. I bought so I would be able to remove and reinstall my tour trunk as needed. The tour trunk comes off easily with 4 screws.
FYI if you are a member of the VMC they will give you 10% off.
I don't have any pics yet. I am heading out of town and will be back Wed. I would be happy to take some pics or a short video and post it up after I get back. In the mean time, here is a pic that Joe from Kewlmetal posted on the VMC with regards to a similar question posed there. The white Kingpin has a Mustang on it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the responce Scott.
I dont need to remove the sidebags easily, so I wasnt going to get easy brackets, does the rack come with the bungees or do you need to buy them seperatly?
But if theres no way to clip and unclip the tourpack with the mustang seat I probably wont get it.... I didnt think the stock seat was that much wider, the specs say 12" and thats what my stock seat measures also....

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Clubford00 said:
You cant PM. You can send email type messages.
Andy told me he set it up this way so that people will put their questions and comments into the forum itself so that everyone can be involved, and aslo so that people WILL post in the forum.
If PM,s were active, a lot of people would just be pming and the site would get smaller , therefore not be as interesting.
Let me set the record straight. Yes, Registered Members CAN PM each other. Just click on a Member's Profile Image, and when taken to their Account Page, just click the Send Message button. A PM is just and internal email system that allows us the ability to email each other without revealing personal email addresses.

I think what Clubford was talking about was IM...Instant Messages.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
turbobike1 said:
I dont need to remove the sidebags easily, so I wasnt going to get easy brackets, does the rack come with the bungees or do you need to buy them seperatly?
But if theres no way to clip and unclip the tourpack with the mustang seat I probably wont get it.... I didnt think the stock seat was that much wider, the specs say 12" and thats what my stock seat measures also....

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
turbobike1 said:
They don't come with the bungee buttons but there are different types depending on weather your are using stock brackets or easy brackets. The stock seat is not wider but the Mustang is just to clear. As to the ease of removing the tourpack it is 4 screws and takes me less than a minute. I wouldn't dismiss the rack for that reason. It sure looks sweet with the Tour Pack removed. I get comments on it all the time.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
My stock bags are on the easy brackets so I am not sure about the exact bungee button setup with the stock brackets. I would recommend calling Joe or Brandon at Kewlmetal.com or Will Molino at Cycleops.com.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

I missed my flight but my backrest was here when I got home. :) I took some fresh pics. You can click on the iamge to go to my Photobucket website. Once there you can click on full screen to see more detail.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.