VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while riding home yesterday from a 4 day trip with our RC in the rain I had a couple of things happen. I am going to give you the play by play and then let the opinions flow in from there.... I have started my own diagnosis but I really need some outside input from the “experts” out there to make sure I’m not chasing the rabbit down the hole.

First a little background on the bike: 2010 XC with 26K miles. Oil changes done on the regular intervals of 3k-5k miles. Using Klotz semi synthetic as pushed by my local dealer (please don’t make this a lubricant argument). I have owned this bike since 2012 when it had just 4K miles on it. Lloyd’s air filter, Power Commander 5, gutted cans with DYI baffle installed, Dino Tuned by 15 year mechanic. Voltage regulator replaced twice within a year after purchase, (first was day of purchase second one year later).

Now the play by play: After final stop yesterday having previously riding about 100 miles in wet conditions I noticed my check engine light come on. I saw my voltage reading over 18 on the gauge, before dropping back to a more normal output of just over 14. It fluctuated up and down a few times over the next 5-10 miles during which time I made the assumption I would be once agin replacing my voltage regulator upon returning home, no big deal since it’s been done twice before; irritating but hey whatever could be worse right. Another 5-10 miles down the road I felt the engine miss several times over th course of a few minutes; then finally a dropped a cylinder all together. After pulling to the side of the road a rider behind me noted blue smoke from the exhaust about the same time I began to decelerate. Pulled front plug wire and engine continued running on the back; pulled plug and found it wet and BLACK as the ace of spades. Luckily I had a spare set in my bag from our trip to Sturgis last year. After checking spark to the plug resting on the jug I installed and test ran. Engine seemed to run fine at this point other than a few moments of “cleaning” out the cylinder. (No Blue smoke noted during this time).

Took off down the road again feeling as though we had fixed the problem of just a fouled plug (dealer had noted years ago Vic’s run rich, replace the plugs every year just to be safe. The dude that tuned my bike even stated “she likes fuel, so it’s gonna be rich.” So again after taking off I looked in my mirror and I noted blue smoke out of the exhaust. Enough so I leaned back to tell my wife “I think we blew this B**** up!” After about 5 miles we dropped a cylinder again, this time with no warning. As another note the blue smoke was not constant, it came and went during this period. SO again we pulled over replaced the front plug and then made the decision to get to the closest town (about 4 miles away) and wait for a buddy to come back with his trailer and haul the bike home. This time however the front cylinder did not come back to life until about 3 miles down the road and for only about 45 seconds before again dropping out. During this 4 mile ride the blue smoke was still present off and on out of the exhaust.

At this point the bike is on the stand and I am trying o decide what my next move is... I will say we did check compression on both cylinders prior to tearing into anything and found both cylinders to be at ~140 psi which to me seems a little low BUT it was a quick crank on a cold motor but what I was more looking for was commonality between the two which I found....

Your turn... I’m looking for some input for potential causes from previous experiences.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to the guys behind me “it smelled like oil burning.” From the saddle I didn’t pick up on any burnt oil smell myself. My gut says ignition issue given the wet condions, the voltage bouncing around and it doesn’t help another rider had his PCV take a dump on this same trip which automatically gets stuck in my head and makes me want to blame it.... If you ignore the blue smoke and “reported oil smell” ignition all day long given the plug was wet the cylinder was getting fuel. The smoke though throws the wrench into that theory.

Head Gasket isn’t something we had thought about. We were considering the possibility that I lost an intake valves seal. After removing the valve cover I do not note any difference in valve “play” side to side relative to the other valves on the front cylinder. After searching for quite sometime I have yet to find ANY mention of a valve seal failure ever mentioned for these motors so I tend to want to push past that possibility.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Where are you located? That will help us get you to a good mech

Reactions: Maldeney

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NE Indiana - Osborns is the closest Vic Dealer to me

Second plug just smelled of fuel I didn’t pay any attention to the first one unfortunately as immediately went with fouled and assumed it was over time since I hadn’t changed in a couple of years. Not sure if I can get a pressure gauge on it or not.

Copy the dart throwing... I feel that is what I am doing right now. I hate to take it to the dealer just yet, I’m capable of doing the work myself it’s just the diagnosis where I want to limit the amount of part’s changing I do while figuring out what the heck is actually going on. My hope was that someone out there had run into a similar issue previously as Half_Crazy had with the head gasket causing the “blue smoke of death.” Gonna through the bore-a-scope down in the cylinder tonight and try to get a better look internally.

My local Vic mech is off until Wednesday so I can’t pick his brain yet....

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Call Rylan @ The Vic Shop or Kevin Cross at Southern Motorworx. I'm not an expert, but I do know that Victories run lean from the factory. Any modification to intake or exhaust makes it MORE lean, not rich. Many people state they NEVER change the plugs and are/were around 100k miles. They will foul easily if you don't ride them after starting them though. Have you checked for gas in the oil? If it is a stuck injector fouling the plugs, you can get gas in the oil. I'm not sure if this would cause the blue smoke, but maybe if the gas/oil mix is getting pushed into the intake through the breather tube?

Reactions: Tenax66

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay so I had to prove to myself it wasn’t an ignition issue so I unhooked the PCV and went back to straight stock mapping. Dropped the plugs back in and hit the go button, fired right up... After about 30 seconds the front cylinder came to life and the smoke started rolling. I kept it running for about 10 minutes and the blue smoke never went away, and yes it smelled of oil. After looking in the cylinders with the bore-o-scope the front has FAR more carbon build up on th stop of the piston. To the point that the carbon is flaking off and thick enough that I can not see the grooves in the piston top; the back piston grooves are still visible even with the carbon build up across the top of the piston.

My Dyno guy said he tried to lean out the ratio numerous times while and every time it lost HP. I know for sure the plugs were always displaying a rich mixture even before the PCV, filter and cans.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Before you spend a ton of money, spend a little on a new set of plug wires. Every time I've had an issue with "dropping a cylinder", it's been that, and usually after a trip to the car wash. The fact that this occurred after "running in wet conditions" should be a clue.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Also, did you see any scoring on the cylinder walls when you were inspecting with the boroscope?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I definitely will be purchasing new plug wires and plugs before everything goes back together.

Cylinder walls are perfect IMO... Cross hatch from hone is still present in both cylinders, two or three light vertical lines in each cylinder but not heavy enough to actually feel them.

Bike is torn down, motor out and front head is off. Unfortunately no smoking gun as of yet; I will be taking the head to dealer tomorrow to have the valve springs taken off to inspect the valve seals and then go from there.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Since you're that far into it....

Air in:
Lloyd'z Torque Tube Intake - LLOYD'Z Motorworkz

Some inches and compression:
Lloyd'z 109″-116″ Inch Big Bore Kits - LLOYD'Z Motorworkz

HOH-506 Cams, springs, and retainers:
Lloyd'z Performance Victory Cams - LLOYD'Z Motorworkz
https://lloydz.com/products/engine-performance/lloydz-high-lift-valve-spring-kit/

Air out:
https://lloydz.com/products/exhaust-systems/rpw-thor-21/

Freshen those heads up with a multi-angle valve job... break it in good... tune it... and BAM:

View attachment 497823

It's only money... you get paid again next week...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.