VOG Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to bust the gas cap off of my '05 Vegas because the latch mechanism had corroded closed and wouldn't open.

I purchaed an NOS factory gas cap with 2 keys on Ebay, still sealed in the original package. Once it arrived, I looked at the part number and saw it was the non-vent California one, not the vented one.

Looking at them, it doesn't seem like there is any difference between the two. Would I be okay to run the non-vented Cali one on my Vegas?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
How is the original vented? Could the new one be made similar with simply adding a hole where the other one has it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I ended up taking them all the way apart, and this is what I found:

The vented part is on the left, the non-vent part is on the right.

It looks like the vented part has two rubber valves to let gas fumes out and the air in. The non-vented part seals the whole system.

Again, old cap on the left, new cap on the right. That is what 5 years of sitting with a half full tank of pump gas did.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Non-vented cap vents fumes to the evap canister on the Cali bikes. If you are not concerned with emissions or inspections (not sure where you live) you could use the vented cap and delete your evap canister.

Just make sure your tank can vent to one or the other. Pressure changes can collapse your tank as the temps drop this time of year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.