Buying my first Victory / Need advice on whether the bike has been down | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Buying my first Victory / Need advice on whether the bike has been down

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by garyb1991, May 3, 2021.

1. garyb1991

garyb1991 New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Honda Shadow, Ducati SuperSport
    I don't think the dealer liked the negative review I left them. They called me and offered to replace the fender with a Victory OEM replacement, paint it, and have it delivered to my house. I told them I'd have to think about it. If I do go forward with it I'm only going to do so if they also knock some extra off the price. I drove 350km and hauled a trailer to see it on Friday, 700km round trip. I'm still a little choked about that.

Good call, I wouldn't doubt you're right. It almost looks like a sharp impact...I can't see any exposed hardware on the bottom of the light bar in the pictures, but maybe it's deceiving.

You're referring to the paint on the front fender? I didn't notice that, I saw the big dent in it and didn't really bother to look any closer at it. The bike only has ~6500km/4000mi. I ran a Carfax report on it which showed 1 owner and no claims. Maybe the bike was in some sort of accident before? I'd imagine if that stupid light bar he installed caused the damage on the fender once, he wouldn't have painted and then damaged it a second time the same way.

Uploaded a couple more pictures showing the light bar.

2. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    Tell them to take that light off too and I bet you'll have a nice bike you will really enjoy.

I'd be pretty pissed driving all that way too.

Maybe look at the price of a used fender. If you find some in good shape tell the dealer to take the cost of a new fender and paint off the price of the bike.... Then put a used one on yourself. I wouldn't want to wait on them and rely on them to get it done right. I would rather save on the bike and buy a good used one to save money. It's a five minute fix.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. garyb1991

garyb1991 New Member

Tried to edit my last post to add pictures but it just tells me that it's spam and can't be uploaded...here's some more pics. Notice how they strategically hid the damage on the front fender...

Attached Files:

4. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

They sure did. The rest of the bike does look nice though. And before you ask...... Nothing goes here.

Screenshot_20210509-021006_Samsung Internet.jpg

But we can fill the hole.
    pic2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. wvrider1

wvrider1 Well-Known Member

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    My new fender came painted.

6. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    I doubt that bike was wrecked. The light is below the sweep of the fork travel as you can see here. Screenshot_20210509-072751_Chrome.jpg

In this picture you can see the fender is atleast even if not above the sweeper. Screenshot_20210509-073445_Chrome.jpg

I feel this spot that @Bikesofbrads had referred to is a light reflection not thin paint. Screenshot_20210509-075652_Chrome.jpg

This area is commonly damaged by tube bags hanging from the triple tree.

@garyb1991 here are some numbers for you to ponder... trade in value on these bikes was 50% MSRP the day it was registered. Now with the bike being 5 yrs old I would guess wholesalers would be paying between 30-40% at best.

Speaking to the bike being 5yrs old, the OEM tires would be at the end of their life regardless of miles. Check the DOT on the tires...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    81F47CA2-75D9-4276-AA49-466F4A67EA80.png Ur right it could b a trick of the light, on 2nd look it does look like original paint on fender. Other than dent it looks like is a really nice bike. I’d try & contact first owner and get some info about her, I imagine was a trade in for a new bike. Shouldn’t be anything wrong with it & you’ll get lots of trouble free smiles

8. garyb1991

garyb1991 New Member

Ended up buying the bike. I got it for $1000 less than what I was going to pay when I drove up to see it. On top of that they subtracted the price of the fender and I ordered a new one from my local Polaris dealer which comes painted. The fender should arrive early next week and the bike gets delivered late next week!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

Good deal!

Just remember to take that light off so you don't smash the new one.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. skipbarberman

skipbarberman Active Member

Hammer
    Congrats - Welcome aboard!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bikesofbrads

I hope you got rid of that Harley keychain before the bike starts hating you for it. She deserves better

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. garyb1991

garyb1991 New Member

Straight in the trash!

Bike gets delivered later this week

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Bikesofbrads

Could gift it to a Harley rider, will be the most reliable HD thing they own

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. garyb1991

garyb1991 New Member

Hey guys, got the bike delivered on Friday! Took it for a spin and when I got home I noticed the top right side of the engine looked like it had oil splashed on it. I sourced it back to the fork seal leaking. The right fork seal is leaking quite badly, I'm going to have to deal with it right away. I messaged the sales manager and told him about it. He's off for the long weekend but he's going to call me on Tuesday to address it. They must have known it was leaking, this is more than light seepage. Maybe related to the fender damage and/or damaged further during shipping. I have to take the front wheel off to swap the fender anyways. I'm hoping I can get the dealer to pay for the repair, maybe taking the fork off myself will help convince them to pay for the rest. Should I do both at the same time? The bike only has 6500km but I'm wondering if the left side could be compromised too. As of right now it doesn't appear to be leaking.

Anyways, I went right to work on removing the stupid light the previous owner mounted. I had to lift the gas tank slightly to pull the wires through. I ripped all his wiring out and removed the light from the mounting bracket. Unfortunately, whoever installed the light must not have been very mechanically inclined. They used a machine screw with a hex head to mount it, which would have been fine if they hadn't absolutely stripped the **** out of the head. It's completely rounded. I decided once I get the wheel and fender out of the way I'll deal with it. Going to try to get vice grips on the head and spin it out that way. If that doesn't work I may try grinding a slot in the head of the screw with a dremel and then taking it out with a flathead screwdriver. Putting a high speed grinding disc anywhere near my new bike scares the **** out of me, but it should be fine lol. Other than that I'd have to try and drill it out and either extract it, or drill it to the next size up, tap it, and put in a new machine screw to fill the hole.

Unrelated, I noticed two connectors under my seat that are disconnected, they are towards the front near the rear of the gas tank. I've included some pictures, anyone know what they are? The connector with the blue rubber has a yellow/pink and a black wire. I don't think the black wire had any striping, I can't tell from my pictures but I could pop the plastic and seat and check again. The connector with the orange rubber is purple/pink and a blue wire. Would have to double check if the blue wire is striped but I don't believe it is. The orange connector didn't have a cap so I made one for it. I didn't see the female ends where these would even plug in to :-/

Moving on to the fender replacement I got my bike jacked up and feeling somewhat secure. I used some sort of foamy rubber mat to shim the left side of the bike so it would sit more level side to side. Do you guys normally tie your bike down on the jack? It didn't seem like there were a lot of great options for tie down points that would really help secure the bike from wobbling.

So I got the front wheel off and started to loosen the 4 bolts holding the fender to the forks. They felt tighter that I expected. I got them all started but they never felt like they really came loose, they take quite a bit of force to spin. I was worried about damaging the threads so I just walked away for now. I looked at a 2012 service manual and it doesn't mention any special tips for removing the fender. Has anyone done it before on a Highball or experience something similar on their bikes? My only thought is to carefully spray some penetrating fluid in there and see if that helps. Maybe there is locktite on the bolts?

I did an oil change on the bike as well. I've officially spent way more time wrenching than I have riding. Hopefully this is a trend that reverses soon LOL. On the plus side, I'm getting quite familiar with the new bike! Thank you everyone for your help, I'll do my best to contribute and pass it on once I get some more experience.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. garyb1991

garyb1991 New Member

Update: Got the fender off! I used PB blaster on the right side and kept backing the bolts out slowly. I then noticed the red loctite between the fork and fender which made me less worried about the threads being damaged. I didn't bother with the penetrant on the other side, just backed all the bolts out nice and slow. I used some soap to clean the fork really well after to make sure I got all the penetrant off. I don't think that stuff is good for paint .

Also it really helps to have the axle in place. Otherwise the lower fork wants to spin as you turn the fender bolts.

• Winner Winner x 2