Buying a demo bike - smoking deal or insane risk? | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Buying a demo bike - smoking deal or insane risk?

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by GTOAviator, Feb 17, 2017.

1. GTOAviator

GTOAviator New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Sport bike
    Title pretty much says it all. I've stumbled on several 2015 or 2016 dealer demos lately asking a few grand under KBB value. Some of the bikes only have a few hundred miles and some have thousands. When asked about them, most of the salesmen give the "it's a demo bike, we don't really know much about it" story, which is slightly terrifying to hear.

So my question is, are demo bikes really that scary to buy or are most of them simply high(er) mileage bikes being sold to clear inventory?

Another thing I've heard is that dealer demo bikes sometimes come with a reduced or expired warranty. Fact or fiction?

Thanks!

2. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    I'd buy a demo bike for the right price but only 1K under bluebook is not it, IMHO. Especially now and especially with thousands of miles. That's not a demo, that's used. There are some great deals out there.

I have no idea about the warranty. I don't see why it would be reduced though.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. McKoi1

McKoi1 Member

2012 XCT black
    My wife's 2012 xct was a demo with 3,000 on the odometer bought it for 3 grand less they put on new tires and battery. 4 years and 20,000 miles later no trouble what so ever

• Like Like x 4
  4. rwilly

rwilly Active Member

I haven't had any issues with my demo bike.
    Mine came with a warranty just as if it was a new bike.

5. The Fuzz

The Fuzz Active Member

2014 Victory Police Commander 1 & Indian Chieftain
    My XC was a demo bike. Came with full warranty and 5 year powertrain protection. Got $6000 off MSRP.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tightrope

Tightrope Active Member

2014 XC
    Mine was a demo also, but with only a couple hundred miles. full warranty and zero problems 17,000 later. Go for it if the price is right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    It depends on the situation, of course. If a demo only has 300 miles on it i might jump. A demo that has 3,000 miles on it is a used bike and I would treat that deal accordingly. Normally I would not be looking at used, but that is changing. With a demo, though, you just never know if anybody abused it. I can say that I have ridden many demo bikes and I have never thrashed or abused any of them, and based on the responses maybe it's not so bad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. CheezyRider

CheezyRider Active Member

Honda
    True "demo" bikes are actually bikes that have never been titled out and are still under an MSO (manufactures statement of origin) - the dealership's are able to license them for street use/demo riding via the dealer plate. Most, if not all, manufacture warranties begin when the bike is titled out. In the end, all true demo's (and "new" left over bikes - that have never been titled out) are suppose to be sold with complete factory warranty..
    You may notice I used the term "true" a couple times. That is because some, not all but some, dealerships will take in a low mileage used bike on trade and use it as a "demo" bike. That is fine legally EXCEPT for when it comes to resale time. Technically, if they are selling a "demo" bike that is actually a used trade in they are suppose to make the purchaser aware that they are buying a used (not a demo) scoot.. Sounds crazy but there are significant issues (not just warranty claim stuff) that can come up if protocol isnt followed in this.. Think about it - if you buy a true demo you are actually the 1st owner and at resale it is a 1 owner bike. A used demo = not so much..
    As far as the question of whether or not I would buy one... I had a dealership for a number of years and saw some pretty interesting things be done with our demo bikes.. Holeshots being pulled, wheelies being ridden, clutches and trannies being abused (not necessarily purposely either), people taking off in 4th gear lugging the crap out of the motor and on and on.. On the same token though,, my business was back in the early days before rev limiters and all the electronic monitoring devices - maybe folks now adays behave differently because they think all their "moves" are being recorded,,,, possible I suppose....
    Toss all of that into the vat of really not knowing what Polaris is gonna due as far as fulfilling their commitment to fully honoring warranties until they run out and I can see where a little common sense would be adviseable in buying a current Victory demo scoot... Think the selling dealership would have to come up with considerably more than a couple grand off - maybe 1/2 of new considering Victory is no longer in production... If that aint possible and I really wanted the scoot,, I would at least get an agreement that the dealership would cash discount back to me any form of rebate $$'s they may get from Polaris for their remaining inventory - those figures are still not out yet BUT Polaris has commited to doing this for the dealerships (this is a very common practice on business closures) and when that happens - the BIG sales will commence.. If they agreed to do this for the demo bike = get it in writing - this could be a pretty significant figure in the end!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Fox Fader

Fox Fader Active Member

17 HighBall, 07 Tuono Factory
    Nothing wrong with buying a demo. As stated, full warranty at time of purchase. Dealers still have money in them. They still can't just give them away and lose money. There are more rebates towards the demos IF a certain amount of miles are achieved on the bike. NADA is the holy grail for pricing, not blue-book which a bunch of fictitious BS. NPA is used to check the market in reality as well.

10. MagVic CCT

MagVic CCT Well-Known Member

2000 Nomad : 2012 Victory CCT
    My wife got a "Demo". Working out ok for her.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    That may depend on who you ask.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. huberei

huberei Active Member

gunner
    i'm also close to buy a demo... What me scares the most ist the fact, that these bikes didn't get a proper handling during the important first 600 miles. Probably all of them where hard tested by possible custumors from mile 1 on...

13. MagVic CCT

This is why I don't ask.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. 40caliber

40caliber Active Member

2014 Tequila gold with flames, 2016 Indian roadmaster
    I looked at a demo gunner last weekend. the deal was ok but when i went on cycletrader.com, I found new bikes cheaper. grianted this demo came with different pipes and a few other things, It didn't feel like a screaming deal.
    My point is do your homework and make sure its a real deal. consider it a used bike that has a full warranty. weigh it against new and used bikes. if the savings is worth the "bang for the buck" go for it. It's a victory it will run well for you regardless. I have used my warranty on my bike but it was for little things because i paid big coin new. if I had bought it used, i could have fixed it myself and i am no wrench

15. MagVic CCT

I've been poking around on various "for sale" sites both dealer, owner, new and used and what really astounds me is the wide variation in pricing from area to area. I think that some of these dealers are going to have to begin to get real or wind up keeping some of their bikes as pets.
    Same thing with some of the owners. I get it, I want all I can get for the sale of my bike (car, desk, laptop,whatever) but it looks like there's going to be some time to hold and not buy. Unless, these things are a lot more popular than I think they are. And I'm a fan, so I'd like to think they are, but the realist in me says that prices are still too high in most quarters.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1