VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shared this in FB, thought I would share it here as well!...So the long awaited bucket list trip to slay the Dragon has ended and I am back on my desk job hating every minute of it, drove my cage back to work and had to roll the windows down along I95 to hear the wind again...Oh man what a trip, what an experience!, for a guy that had never ridden a bagger anywhere else but the flat lands of FL, this was amazing, I fell in love with every turn and twist, down the Cherokee mountains, along Nantahala national park, moonshine 28, cherohala skyway, blue Ridge parkway and the infamous tail of the dragon, so many cool roads. 5 days 1800 miles, riding from dusk till dawn, I learned that before today I wasn't really riding my bike as much as just sitting on it, I can say now I gained a lot of experience and I got to know my bike a lot more, felt more comfortable riding it after every curve than ever before, I will definitely be back and for anyone thinking about it DO IT FOR **** SAKE!, be confident but never daring, be bold to your limit, enjoy it responsibly, act like an idiot and the road will treat you as such, respect the road and it will be good to you, avoid the stupid asshats on crotch rockets and BMWs which have no regard for your life or theirs (specially the BMW riders, what assholes they were!, every single one we bumped into were idiots)...Now to my bike, my beloved 2012 Victory Cross Country, OMG do I love this bike, what a machine, perfect on every sense, I try to look for faults but I can't find any, comfortable when putting 600+ miles at a time with no stops expect for gas, great handling in the curves, despite being the tallest of the bikes I've had (stock seat, stock suspension), I even scraped my right floorboard once during the dragon, mind you it was my first time riding curves or hills. I was very happy to hear my harley buddy say he needed to downshift to 2nd gear a few times where I spend 99% of my time between 4th and 3rd, I even took the lead of the group coming back up to deals gap and my friend on a street glide 15 juiced up had trouble chasing me down on his 10th time doing the dragon, this was not rider skills, I HAVE NONE, this was all my Sexy Blue ***** acing every curve, glued to the road, last but not least, oh how I enjoyed riding behind that Harley on the way back home and listening my buddy downshift to 5th gear at 70 MPH to over take a truck on US1 when all I had to do was turn my wrist on 6th gear and let that mighty 106 pound the road to a point where mid way through I had to let go so I didn't hit my friend or end up overtaking him with the truck!...so much power and so confident that engine is. I got home, as I promised to my girl, in one piece and sporting the shiny side up, rubbers down, no issues, no breakdowns, I did blew up my speakers but that was stupid me who installed an AMP without experience...All in all, the trip of a life time riding THE BIKE I will continue to ride until I can't ride no more...Ride on my friends, be safe, be bolt and enjoy life!...

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
:biggrin::biggrin: This $#!ts addictive, ain't it!!?? :biggrin::biggrin: Now, go brush the bugs out of your teeth, get back on your bike, and find some new bugs to chew!!

Glad you have officially graduated from flatlander to hill climber. I guess It's a waste of breath to tell you to keep doing it? But you have created a big problem for your self...........You're not going to be content in Florida anymore. Go ahead and get it over. Go tell mama "We're Movin'"!!

• Haha
Reactions: BoilerMan

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Now you know why we're always planning these trips to Ar., New Mexico, Hill country, Ky., Tenn., and beyond. You'll be looking at maps for days, now.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
@Alextico that is great. Nice ride. When I came out of Florida it was so pleasant to hit twisties and inclines. I live in great bike country now, NM, and considered moving back, but riding here is just to fun. Selling the other sailboat to do more cruising, out here. Great place for a rally. Keep on keepin' on brother. What can I say.
Cloud Sky Infrastructure Asphalt Road surface

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:biggrin::biggrin: This $#!ts addictive, ain't it!!?? :biggrin::biggrin: Now, go brush the bugs out of your teeth, get back on your bike, and find some new bugs to chew!!

Glad you have officially graduated from flatlander to hill climber. I guess It's a waste of breath to tell you to keep doing it? But you have created a big problem for your self...........You're not going to be content in Florida anymore. Go ahead and get it over. Go tell mama "We're Movin'"!!
Already ahead of ya, I told her that same night I came back, she was totally onboard with the idea, she's finishing her PHD next year then we'll start planning to move to a not so flat state...

·
Premium Member
14,202 Posts
I shared this in FB, thought I would share it here as well!...So the long awaited bucket list trip to slay the Dragon has ended and I am back on my desk job hating every minute of it, drove my cage back to work and had to roll the windows down along I95 to hear the wind again...Oh man what a trip, what an experience!, for a guy that had never ridden a bagger anywhere else but the flat lands of FL, this was amazing, I fell in love with every turn and twist, down the Cherokee mountains, along Nantahala national park, moonshine 28, cherohala skyway, blue Ridge parkway and the infamous tail of the dragon, so many cool roads. 5 days 1800 miles, riding from dusk till dawn, I learned that before today I wasn't really riding my bike as much as just sitting on it, I can say now I gained a lot of experience and I got to know my bike a lot more, felt more comfortable riding it after every curve than ever before, I will definitely be back and for anyone thinking about it DO IT FOR **** SAKE!, be confident but never daring, be bold to your limit, enjoy it responsibly, act like an idiot and the road will treat you as such, respect the road and it will be good to you, avoid the stupid asshats on crotch rockets and BMWs which have no regard for your life or theirs (specially the BMW riders, what assholes they were!, every single one we bumped into were idiots)...Now to my bike, my beloved 2012 Victory Cross Country, OMG do I love this bike, what a machine, perfect on every sense, I try to look for faults but I can't find any, comfortable when putting 600+ miles at a time with no stops expect for gas, great handling in the curves, despite being the tallest of the bikes I've had (stock seat, stock suspension), I even scraped my right floorboard once during the dragon, mind you it was my first time riding curves or hills. I was very happy to hear my harley buddy say he needed to downshift to 2nd gear a few times where I spend 99% of my time between 4th and 3rd, I even took the lead of the group coming back up to deals gap and my friend on a street glide 15 juiced up had trouble chasing me down on his 10th time doing the dragon, this was not rider skills, I HAVE NONE, this was all my Sexy Blue ***** acing every curve, glued to the road, last but not least, oh how I enjoyed riding behind that Harley on the way back home and listening my buddy downshift to 5th gear at 70 MPH to over take a truck on US1 when all I had to do was turn my wrist on 6th gear and let that mighty 106 pound the road to a point where mid way through I had to let go so I didn't hit my friend or end up overtaking him with the truck!...so much power and so confident that engine is. I got home, as I promised to my girl, in one piece and sporting the shiny side up, rubbers down, no issues, no breakdowns, I did blew up my speakers but that was stupid me who installed an AMP without experience...All in all, the trip of a life time riding THE BIKE I will continue to ride until I can't ride no more...Ride on my friends, be safe, be bolt and enjoy life!...

I'm from Michigan and have been going down there once a year for 10 years,. Last October friends and I decided to go twice a year...May to start the year and Oct to end the season. Did May and will be there Oct 2-9...I'd say can't wait, but then that might speed the days up till then. So far 6 others going/meeting there....join us! Staying at Days Inn in Murphy, NC. Best part last 2 times, met and rode with @Mountainrider , what a great guy!! Even got to meet his lovely bride....BOTH a treat!
I'm @mountainriders manager, let me know if want price on lessons to tame the roads in the area.... he doesn't eat much :rofl2:

NOTE: wanted to add a couple things: @Mountainrider and MRS Mountainrider can RIDE....BOTH of them...she will say "hope I didn't hold you up"..NOT :angel4:
The other being if interested PM me, manager said to call with how many rooms needed and would give deal. Last May they said WE were a NICE bunch or BIKERS :clap:

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
@Alextico
Excellent post! Glad you got the chance & did it.
Won't promise you anything like the Tail or the roads you just rode on BUT if you get the urge to do a little fast riding thru the best curvy country in Florida give me a shout.

Reactions: Alextico

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Glad you had a good time. Winter sucks in the mountains for riding, (this far north anyway) but I pull out of my driveway into a twistie, then the fun starts.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
@Alextico congrats on knocking 1 off the bucket list and yes I agree that is a beautiful ride you were on. Haven't been down that way riding in about 18 yrs reading your ride makes me think mite have to stroll back that way maybe next summer.G lad you like the road trip thing it's not for everyone but if you like it like @MagVic CCT said it's very addictive lol glad your hooked roll safe my friend there's so much to see in this country of ours. I haven't seen it all but it's not for a lack of trying.. knocked a couple off my bucket list also this summer. Ride safe !

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Deal's gap is simply not on my bucket list. When I get right down to it, very few highly promoted riding venues are. I like a nice winding road for my adventures but being one of the few roads that everyone knows about does not matter to me. I couldn't care less about the dragon but I have been on the surface road to Maltnomah falls in Oregon coming in from the east side and that is a perfect challenging ride that I have never seen listed anywhere. When you look off to your right on that road you are looking across the top of the trees on the drop-off from the road and down to the Colorado River a few hundred feet below. There are almost no physical barriers between you and that drop-off. You either ride right or they scrape you off the forest floor below the road.
I also rode and enjoyed the Pig Trail where I took this picture.

When I tried to ride it again on my Vision the road was closed due to a wash-out. The road is not famous like the dragon but is a very enjoyable twisty ride.

·
Premium Member
14,202 Posts
Pigtail is a good warm-up for Dragon Tail IMHO. I've done Dragon Tail many times, now only do IF others want to or have someone with us that wants to. To many more fun roads with less traffic in the area....right @Mountainrider
Deal's gap is simply not on my bucket list. When I get right down to it, very few highly promoted riding venues are. I like a nice winding road for my adventures but being one of the few roads that everyone knows about does not matter to me. I couldn't care less about the dragon but I have been on the surface road to Maltnomah falls in Oregon coming in from the east side and that is a perfect challenging ride that I have never seen listed anywhere. When you look off to your right on that road you are looking across the top of the trees on the drop-off from the road and down to the Colorado River a few hundred feet below. There are almost no physical barriers between you and that drop-off. You either ride right or they scrape you off the forest floor below the road.

When I tried to ride it again on my Vision the road was closed due to a wash-out. The road is not famous like the dragon but is a very enjoyable twisty ride.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Pigtail is a good warm-up for Dragon Tail IMHO. I've done Dragon Tail many times, now only do IF others want to or have someone with us that wants to. To many more fun roads with less traffic in the area....right @Mountainrider
Lots and lots of great roads. I have been riding the Dragon more lately. It's pretty good during the week but the weekends suck unless you get out early and go through around 8am. This area I live in is just so awesome. I get on the bike and can be on fun roads in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
14,202 Posts
I'm heading to Deal's Gap the 23rd of September for a week of riding the area. I will do the dragon, just to say I have, but from what I hear, there are much better roads to ride in that area.
Suggestion: contact @Mountainrider tell him I gave you a coupon :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,559 Posts

It's the Columbia river, FYI. I can show you hundreds of great twisties in Oregon and Washington. That old highway is a favorite when it's open. Hop over the river to WA14 and see it all from a different perspective.
I slayed the dragon, moonshine and BRP, cherohala, skyline, etc all as part of MY bucket list to tour the US. Beartooth 3x yesterday and today. It's not just the roads, but the things you see and the people you meet. It's the experience.
@Alextico I do hope you realize when you check off 1 thing 2 more appear on that list...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.